Fecally-Incontinent Kitten With Manx-Syndrome

This is an archive of previous forum messages.

Fecally-Incontinent Kitten With Manx-Syndrome

Postby LisainCAN » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:00 pm

Hello. Does anyone know where I can purchase a diaper for my 9 week-old, tailless kitten? It has been confirmed that he has Manx-Syndrome and thus lacks the proper nerves to his rectum. For that reason, he will occasionally need to be diapered. I made a little denim overall thingie for him that I line with maxi-pads; but I would prefer to have something commercial since that way I can buy a few and he can wear one while I wash one, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I understand that 90% of people when presented with a kitten like my Harry decide to euthanize. All life is sacred and I refuse to consider this option. He is an otherwise happy and healthy little guy.

Thank you.
LisainCAN

purrrrs and thanks

Postby Bendy Kitty » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:00 pm

thank you for caring for this little guy! premie diapers for human babies work very well, and as he grows you can use regular baby diapers. If he has a nub of a tail you can cut a little hole in the diaper.
Diapers can be hard to keep on a cat and many of us have devised different means of keeping them on. Onesies work well, the kind that snap at the crotch.
We had an incontinent boy here (from a spinal break) and he wore diapers some of the time.
Feel free to read his webpages on my site, but you might want a box of tissues with you.

Diapers do present another potentially serious problem - urine scald. It is important to keep your furbaby very clean. There is a protective spray made by 3M "3M barrier spray" for incontinent people that works wonders. I think thre is a thread on it further down on the board.

thanks again for giving this guy a chance at life!

bendy kitty

Bendy Kitty's Site
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Two recent threads on manx kittens

Postby CarolC » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:00 pm

Page back thru message board to:

7 week old special kitty - Ruth - 6/19/2004
(with 15 follow-ups)

Rescued a bobtail kitten with short spine, can't poop? - Tammy - 5/31/2004
(with 18 follow-ups)
CarolC

DIY Kitty Stud Overalls

Postby CarolC » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:00 pm

This link originally posted by Debbie_Spain on 2/13/04

click here to see DIY Kitty Stud Overalls
CarolC

Preemie Diapers

Postby LisainCAN » Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:00 pm

Bendy,

Thank you so much for responding. Where can I buy preemie diapers? Harry only weighs about 1.25 lbs so I would need specialty micro-preemie diapers, I think. I tried Huggies Preemies for up to 6 lbs but they were too big. I am presently using a baby mitten with two holes for his legs (he has absolutely NO tail) into which I have placed a maxi pad. I am affixing it with VetWrap which doesn't hurt his skin. What are some if the make-the-diaper-stay-on tricks you have tried? I made some little overalls for nightime but I am worried that the straps might choke him so I am going to design a better pair.

Also, I tried to click on the site but I couldn't access it. Is www.alittletlc.org the right address?

Thanks, Lisa.
LisainCAN

Joybies Piddle Pants

Postby CarolC » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:00 pm

Link originally posted by Janice F. on 5/1/2004

Don't know if these are small enough for him now, but he'll grow! :)

click here to see Joybies Piddle Pants for cats
CarolC

Re: Preemie Diapers

Postby critters » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:00 pm

Sometimes you can find preemie diapers in the store, but your best bet is a hospital, pharmacy, or medical equipment supply place who can special order them from a catalog. They should have a range of sizes available, although picking one will be tough. For a 1-pounder I'd probably try the smallest size; in my experience, they need a smaller size than the human weights would suggest because they don't have butts shaped quite like ours.

Jan found this idea, if you know a knitter. http://www.woolsoaker.fsnet.co.uk knitted diaper covers

Yes, that's Bendy's addy, but I can't get it or her old addy either.

Good luck!

link
critters
Founding Member

NexCare No-Sting Liquid Bandage

Postby CarolC » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:00 pm

The 3M Cavilon Barrier Spray referred to is now available at Walgreens, Eckerd, and Wal-Mart in the first aid section under the 3M consumer line brand name, NexCare No-Sting Liquid Bandage. Best price is at Wal-Mart, $4.26. Wash and dry the little bottom, then spray on the spray and hold kitty in mid-air for 30 seconds while it dries. It stays on and protects the skin from liquids for 72 hours, then you have to apply it again. I've used it on my bunny's rear where he dribbles urine and his pink skin improved within 2 days.

CarolC

Return to Old WBBS

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support

Become a Fan on Facebook.