Help Needed: Elderly dog can't do stairs anymore

This is an archive of previous forum messages.

Help Needed: Elderly dog can't do stairs anymore

Postby Jen » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:23 am

Hi there,

I have an elderly 35 pound beagle and she is having a VERY hard time going up and down the stairs of my second floor apartment.

What's the best way to carry her up and down?

Thanks!

Jen
Jen

Have you tried a walking aid? *LINK*

Postby critters » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:47 am

critters
Founding Member

Re: Help Needed: Elderly dog can't do stairs anymore

Postby adkmountaingirl » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:11 pm

Jen:

I have a similar problem with my aging dog. I've been carrying her down the stairs since the spring because she can't do them anymore without slipping a few stairs or falling down all of them. She somehow manages to go up the stairs most of the time, but needs me to be up at the top callng her name and encouraging her. Even then, she has slipped a few times and ended up sprawled out on the steps, unable to move. She was a very active dog and it breaks my heart to see her unable to go down them whenever she wants, rather than having to wait for me to get home from work.

I'm looking for some kind of ramp I can put over part of my 12-step staircase so she can go up and down by herself. I've been on all of the dog ramp sites, but they were all short ramps for couches or cars. My need is different. Can anyone help me while you're helping out Jen?

adkmountaingirl
adkmountaingirl

Postby adkmountaingirl » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:12 pm

Jen:

I have a similar problem with my aging dog. I've been carrying her down the stairs since the spring because she can't do them anymore without slipping a few stairs or falling down all of them. She somehow manages to go up the stairs most of the time, but needs me to be up at the top callng her name and encouraging her. Even then, she has slipped a few times and ended up sprawled out on the steps, unable to move. She was a very active dog and it breaks my heart to see her unable to go down them whenever she wants, rather than having to wait for me to get home from work.

I'm looking for some kind of ramp I can attach over my 12-step staircase so she can go up and down by herself. I've been on all of the dog ramp sites, but they were all short ramps for couches or cars. My need is different. Can anyone help me while you're helping out Jen?

adkmountaingirl
adkmountaingirl

Postby RC » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:42 pm

Jen....My husband made a ramp for our back steps with ply-board and covered it with indoor-outdoor carpet. This way you could make the length and width that you need for your stairs.
RC
RC

Postby critters » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:26 am

12 stairs would take a big ramp and would probably need some switchbacks in it to reduce the grade. Have you considered an electric stair lift, either the flat wheelchair kind or an adapted seat kind? We dug up several for other people who needed them and can post them if you wish.
critters
Founding Member

Instructions to build ramp *LINK*

Postby CarolC » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:52 am

If you click the link below, it shows how Karen's ramp is constructed.

In case you've never been to Home Depot, they will cut the board you are buying to the length you want for 50 cents.

CLICK HERE to build ramp
CarolC

Postby CarolC » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:00 am

I agree about trying a harness, that would be my first choice since you are in and apartment. If it was me, I would put my name on the manager's list to move as soon as a ground floor unit becomes available. They may let you move before your current lease is up. I'd definitely ask.

One of the ramp makers has a ramp that you can not only use to get the dog into the car, but can also lay in on steps. I can't find the right website right now and I'm getting ready for work. If you have a long flight you might need 2 of those. However, I think that's better for home use, not an apartment dweller, because at home you could leave it in place but in an apt. you'd have to keep bringing it out and putting it away.
CarolC

Return to Old WBBS

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support

Become a Fan on Facebook.