Other: Kitten with paralyzed back legs

This is an archive of previous forum messages.

Other: Kitten with paralyzed back legs

Postby Edith Fox » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:56 pm

I am looking for advice and suggestions. First I am really a dog (have 3, one in a wheelchair) person and know very little to nothing about cats!I have rescued a 6-7 week old male, orange tabby kitten (it was tossed out a car window) that was born with no tail and its back legs crossed and useless. It scoots across the floor pulling with its front paws and often does something almost like a hop, seems to know to use a litter box, eats on its own. It was checked by a vet: this is a genetic birth defect. Scooter is very loving and has beautiful expressive eyes!!
Edith Fox

Re: Other: Kitten with paralyzed back legs *LINK*

Postby critters » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:06 pm

You're our kind of people. :) Hope you'll stick around!!

It sounds like Manx syndrome. Can the baby poop and pee on his own? Do you need diaper or expressing info?

You can put this baby on wheels, too. Obviously you wouldn't want a commercial cart until he finishes growing, but a Speedy cart or a Mimosa toy cart might help. See here for more info. http://www.handicappedpets.com/HomemadeCarts.htm

http://www.handicappedpets.com/HomemadeCarts.htm
critters
Founding Member

Re: Other: Kitten with paralyzed back legs

Postby Edith Fox » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:29 pm

Scooter is using the litter box on his own - seems to have loose stools which could be due his young age or change in diet? I was told therapy could help strengthen his legs - not sure how best to do this therapy. I do plan to take him to my vet. this weekend when I am off work. In the meantime - I am sure others have loved kittens like this. Will research Manx Syndrome and the mimosa kart looks like an excellent idea - for a little further down the road. This little guy is only 6 or 7 weeks old so first I must be sure he has strong front legs! Please keep the info coming!!
Edith Fox

adapted litterboxes *LINK*

Postby critters » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:35 pm

critters
Founding Member

Someone straighten me out if I'm wrong *LINK* *PIC*

Postby CarolC » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:27 am

Hi Edith, I'm trying to sort this out, if you don't mind me thinking out loud.

OK, the kitten has no tail and the vet says this is a genetic defect, but the kitten is using the litter box on his own. Well, I agree with Critters, having no tail sounds like Manx Syndrome. I will trust your vet, if it was a fan belt injury s/he would have been able to still see the injury since the kitten is only 6-7 weeks old. So let's assume he was born without a tail. Manx cats can have anywhere from normal ability to eliminate to being unable to eliminate without help. One side effect of Manx Syndrome can be megacolon. At the end of this message I am putting a link to information on megacolon. Hopefully this will not be an issue with this kitten, since he appears to be eliminating normally.

However, this is where I get lost. As far as I know, when Manx Syndrome affects the hind end, you may have a kitten who hops, but I don't remember anything about Manx kittens dragging. Therefore, I am thinking you have two things going on. You have a kitten born with Manx syndrome, and now the little guy has an injury from being thrown from the car. In spite of what they say about cats always landing on their feet, this does not apply to a SEVEN WEEK OLD KITTEN THROWN FROM A MOVING CAR.

Therefore, I think I would treat this as a back injury and crate this kitten and not let him drag around, and see if his mobility improves. (As a complete side issue, I will put a picture below showing a way to support a kitten to help him walk, so you can improvise something, but I feel that will be for later ***after*** the crate rest.)

I'm not sure what all you had to do with your wheelchair dog, whether it was an injury or simply old age and hip dysplasia. If you have experience with a back injury then your know about crate rest. You simply put the little guy in a small crate (one of those rabbit-sized wire pens would work) with everything he needs to make him comfortable, and force him to rest for several weeks. A low sided litter box like a jelly roll pan might be easiest for him. If the back is injured, this will give it a chance for the swelling to go down and hopefully his walking will improve. If your vet agrees about the possbility of back injury, s/he may prescribe steroids in addition to the crate rest, either oral or at least an injection.

Several people here have had cats who were dragging regain mobility through crate rest, including Bendy and Debbie. Hopefully one of them will be along soon.

As for the diarrhea, I think I would ask about the normal kitten worming, whatever is appropriate for that age, and see if it helps.

The picture below is from http://www.caringcanine.com/clients.htm

CLICK HERE info on megacolon in Manx cats
CarolC

Re: Someone straighten me out if I'm wrong

Postby CarolC » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:49 am

I am seeing some mentions of spina bifida in assocation with Manx syndrome, so maybe I am wrong and the paralysis is also genetic. I'm not sure how you'd tell whether it is the genetics or the fall that is causing the mobility problem.
CarolC

Re: Someone straighten me out if I'm wrong

Postby critters » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:59 pm

You probably can't separate chicken and egg. Still, it shouldn't hurt to crate the baby and see what happens.

" In spite of what they say about cats always landing on their feet, this does not apply" It doesn't apply to a lot of older ones either! They've discovered it can have to do with the height, as well.
critters
Founding Member

Postby Marsha Wilkening » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:18 pm

I also have a 5 week old kitten that isn't able to use his hind legs, he was born this way in a litter of 3 the first kitten is normal, the 2nd one was still born and the 3rd is scotter who doesn't know hes hadicapped I have a house full of different animals, I have 4 dogs, 5 cats 7 including the kittens and a amazon parrat + mice ,a rat and 2 bunnies but my concern now turns to scooter, i need help in either finding a home for him but this person must know how to treat such a sweet little thing and know what they are getting into care for him, if anyone can help me please feel free to email me( in the subject box please write re: scooter) just so you also know he is very loveable and is solid black
Marsha Wilkening

post a pic, and your location *LINK*

Postby critters » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:40 pm

You might also want to submit the baby to the adoptables page at the CH Kitty Club; most have CH, but it's not required. Submission info is on the page. http://www.chkittyclub.com/pages/home.html

http://www.chkittyclub.com/pages/home.html
critters
Founding Member

Postby Marsha Wilkening » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:43 pm

I also have a 5 week old kitten that isn't able to use his hind legs, he was born this way in a litter of 3 the first kitten is normal, the 2nd one was still born and the 3rd is scotter who doesn't know hes hadicapped I have a house full of different animals, I have 4 dogs, 5 cats 7 including the kittens and a amazon parrat + mice ,a rat and 2 bunnies but my concern now turns to scooter, i need help in either finding a home for him but this person must know how to treat such a sweet little thing and know what they are getting into care for him, if anyone can help me please feel free to email me( in the subject box please write re: scooter) just so you also know he is very loveable and is solid black
Marsha Wilkening

Trixie the Handicat *LINK*

Postby CarolC » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi Edith,

Since spina bifida came up as a possibility, and no clue if that's what's going on or not, you might like to see Alisa's webpage about her spina bifida kitty Trixie. Please click below.

This is actually an archived copy of the page, so here is a picture of Trixie, just in case the photos don't open from the archive.

CLICK HERE Trixie the Handicat's webpage
CarolC

Sorry my photo didn't attach *NoMsg*

Postby CarolC » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:00 pm

CarolC

Paraliyzed back legs kitten needs diapers

Postby Edith Fox » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:22 am

Skooter was seen by my Vet, Dr. M. Elliott, we confirmed Skooter has Manx syndrome, he got his first shot, and antibiotics for a stomach infection. I learned he will be incontinent - so I need info about diapers for a male kitten that weighs 1.4 lbs. He does use the litter box for his feces - but some still is being smeared all around his crate. He will be crated (largest dog crate available) when I am not home but I would like to be able to hold him and allow him on the floor for exercise. And when he gets a little bigger I will begin to devise carts for him. And the dogs are learning to accept Skooter! I have added toys hanging on cords for him to play with.
Please keep this info going. By the way I keep food down all the time for my dogs - is that okay for a kitten since I work ten hour days?
Edith Fox

Re: Paraliyzed back legs kitten needs diapers

Postby CarolC » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:00 am

The smallest size of diapers is preemie size. I used Preemie Huggies with my rabbit. You simply cut a hole for the tail on the fold where the diaper is folded when you pull it out of the package. There was also a lot of extra paper fringe around the legs and waist I trimmed off. My rabbit wore his diapers backward with the tapes going toward the back.

If you get a crate, I would recommend putting it up on a table where he can see out the window during the day. That's what kitties like. You may need to pick up a cheap table somewhere since it will be a big crate. This will also make cleaning the crate much easier than kneeling on the floor every time to do it, with the dogs sticking their heads in helping! ;)

Dog food is not nutritious enough for cats and lacks taurine (I think). I don't suppose eating some of it would hurt him but it isn't what he needs. But if you crate him while you're gone he won't be getting into it. The cat I know who is incontinent as a result of a tail injury, leaving her similar to a Manx cat, has firm dry stools and doesn't need diapers. Did you ask about the worming?
CarolC

Re: Paraliyzed back legs kitten needs diapers

Postby Edith Fox » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:17 am

Sorry, I left one very important item out - Skooter is not eating dog food. I have him on Purina Kitten - Complete Nutrition. I am concerned about leaving food out all day or just feeding at certain times. Since I was told Skooter is about 7-8 weeks old and should be fed 4 times a day and I work a 10 hr day - so that would only be two feedings. I maker sure he has plenty of fresh water each morning and as soon as I get home from work. My daughter thinks it is not healthy to leave food out all day for a kitten as it could over indulge itself and become sick. Once he is old enough to be feed only twice a day this will not longer be a problem.
Edith Fox

Next

Return to Old WBBS

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support