Club foot on Collie Rescue

Please post questions about pets who are expected to undergo amputation or who have already undergone amputation here, as well as pets born with missing or incomplete limbs.

Club foot on Collie Rescue

Postby Shirazois » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:36 pm

Anyone have ever encountered a club foot on a dog?

Just took a foster Collie in, approx 5 and has a deformed rt front foot/ankle etc. Shelter Vet listed it as genetic deformity/Club Foot? The hair is missing from most of it, and the foot turns OUT, not in. The leg muscles appeared to have atrophied.

I have started him on SOD and Boswellia, and Synflex, but other then that not much can be done correct? He can use it some, but it pulls up most of the time, and he 3 legs it. I'm afraid its going to cause a problem in later life with his neck and back.

Anyone have experience with this in any breed?

Thanks,
Lisa^^
Shirazois

Re: Club foot on Collie Rescue

Postby critters » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:47 pm

:whale: Check out the tripod bb below; it's happened, and typically people have the limb removed.
critters
Founding Member

Postby Shirazois » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:36 pm

I don't see a pic or link for BB the tripod?

Thanks,
Lisa^^
Shirazois

Postby GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:32 am

You are now linked in the amputation bulletin board. Have you talked about orthotics with doc? They can be right pricey with the human type, a mold is made of the foot and a custom made cushion comes back. I have had it done.
For someone with crafting and clay throwing abilities, this might be something that can be done at home. The tempurpedic foam might be an option. They sell it in pads and pillows, so you wouldn't have to buy the whole mattress.
This could be slipped into a
http://www.handicappedpets.com/splints/
splint Image

or
http://www.petboots.com/wboots/index.htm
boot Image

, depending on the angle of the foot. Can you post a photo?

As critters says, they usually do better without the deformity at all, than trying to compensate for it. It seems so drastic but actually, it gives relief. Please see critters' link, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7201. I use the Amazon site to 'pre-read' any book I purchase. Some I can read the whole book.

Also, I just posted for the Irish collie, some massage info for atrophy. Let me do a copy and paste :)

Slowly with your fingertips, pull down on the leg going deep enough to hit some subqutaneous tissues and watch for pain.
Keep doing this and at the joints, wiggle your fingers not quite as deep, to not only get blood flow and oxygen to the tissues but IT FEELS GOOD

Dianne has linked some PT for parapups in the paralysis forum that are SO EXCELLENT. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10626
The PT is down about half way under MASSAGE, but I think there may be several links you might benefit from.

:welcomepink: and thank you so much for what you are doing!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Postby critters » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:02 am

Somebody around here had a similar problem amputated; was it Jaida? I can hardly keep up with what's going on with my monsters sometimes, much less everybody else's! :oops:
critters
Founding Member

Postby Shirazois » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:49 pm

I'm thinking now, after doing more research, that it is simply a genetic deformity. The shelter vet simply put on the paperwork, genetic leg/foot deformity.

The previous foster home is the one that referred to it as a club foot, BUT it turns out more then inward. And by the pics of similar problems I've seen, it is probably just that, a simple genetic deformity.

I am fostering the dog for rescue. He and his "sister" ( I don't know how they know it was his sister?) were loose down by Tampa and were picked up by ACC.

He was taken out by rescue I beleive, and sent to a foster here in town. That foster did not work out for him so I was called. Lovely young male sable/white boy, but a bum front leg.

I beleive he is around 3, by his color and teeth. He uses the leg as a prop more then anything. It is shorter and twisted. I have started him on Synflex liquid ( glucosamine with lots of other good things for joints and omega's) and SOD and additional Boswellia.

He is not mine, so I'm not at liberty to do much of anything.

Still a nice dog. If he were in my rescue, I'd take him to the vet for a consult and xrays to start. But by now, I don't think there is any corrective surgery to be done. I think amputation would be the only recourse if it were determined the leg was a detriment and painful.

They did bring with him some booties, but I'm not sure if they would be much help since he 3 legs it most of the time anyway.

I will try to send a pic. Hard to see but its the only ones I have as of yet.

Lisa^^
Cassidy run.jpg
Cassidy run.jpg (12.72 KiB) Viewed 2330 times

Cassidy stand.jpg
Cassidy stand.jpg (10.32 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
Shirazois

Postby luvmytripod » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:04 am

Hi there,

our GSD Jaida had a club foot, which turned inward. Her elbow was also deformed, as it did not articulate properly and was unable to bend much more than a centimeter in any direction. It was a genetic deformity and she was born with the condition. Jaida also used her arm as a "prop" when she was peeing or bending low for whatever reason, but mostly it impaired her mobility, and often was injured when it bonked/rubbed on things as she moved, so we opted to have her arm removed. The limb also adds extra unnecessary weight to a dog that's already functioning as a tripod. We could see the improvement in her comfort and mobility right away after the surgery.
luvmytripod

Return to Amputation

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support

Become a Fan on Facebook.