14 Year Old Blind and Deaf

Blind and deaf pets can live happy, healthy, quality lives. In fact, sometimes it's hard to tell them from sighted pets. They do, though, have their own special needs.

14 Year Old Blind and Deaf

Postby cyndi » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:12 pm

My 14 yr. old yorkie has been deaf and partially blind for about 1yr.
She suddenly went completly blind and is now bumping into things.She has been to the Vet, and has two kinds of drops. So far she is still not able to find her way. I am an over protective mom so it is hard to watch. I have been very careful not to move anything.Her smelling ability is not the greatest. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Cyndi
cyndi

Re: 14 Year Old Blind and Deaf

Postby LisainCAN » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi Cyndi,

:welcomeblue:

Your little girl is lucky she has you.

I have a deaf dog and have never had a blind one but from what I have learned on here, it seems important to keep things the same, as you are doing. I would imagine your touch would be the most reassuring constant to your girl. I don't really have any practical suggestions. I am sure someone who has more experience will be on here soon.
LisainCAN

Re: 14 Year Old Blind and Deaf

Postby GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:26 pm

Your baby's fear is natural and to be expected. She has not yet 'mapped' and this will happen very quickly. You can scent different areas (something I have never had to do despite having a born blind, two born deaf and blind, a old guy deaf and can barely see. That map will happen very quickly. In the meantime babygate all stairs, don't move furniture, don't leave vacuum out in middle of floor and VISIT THE BLIND STICKY in this forum. There are a TON of tips in there, for blinds for any reason. Your attitude, silly happy joy, which you can convey with tickles on the side of the head, will comfort her and let her know you are in charge and eerything is fine. Get down on the floor with her and map. Watch out for pokies and owies.
All my deafs, blinds and deafblinds have acclimated waaayyy beyond the human's ability. She is mapping and it iss to be expected she will bump into things until they are mapped. Turn off the lights in a room you know like the back of your hand and I GUARANTEE you will stub your toe.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Return to Blind and Deaf Pets

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products