kitten with broken hip

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue.

kitten with broken hip

Postby kodiblue » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:41 am

I'm back with my latest rescue, a kitten aprox. 7 mos. old. beautiful grey with gold and green eyes. She was a flood rescue. Shortly after I got her I noticed she was dragging herself around. When i picked her up she screamed and tried to pull away, so off to the vet. She had broken her hip, the doc said it was concurrent with a fall. I had thought she would lose the leg on that side but was offered a different option. So, she had surgery to remove the ball of the joint. It had broken in half, and away from the joint. The doc said it would fit itself back into the joint and heal that way. I kept her alone in a room for 5 weeks and am now letting her spend time with the family. She is really happy and getting around but still limps quite badly. Also sometimes the leg seems to just go where it wants, in back of or off to the side of the good one. Has anyone had this type of surgery and will she be able to use it with more control? The doc says wait and see, but I worry she will trip herself up and reinjure it. She hates being in a room alone. I put the other flood kitten in with her, but then they both want out. Any advice?
kodiblue

Re: kitten with broken hip

Postby critters » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:01 am

The surgery is FHO, femoral head osteotomy, and they form a false joint with scar tissue. My Jazz hasn't had a FHO, but he has a false joint.
critters
Founding Member

Postby GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:32 am

I had a cat with a broken pelvis, and doc just manipulated her back kind of in position and crate rest for a week was all he told me. Knowing what i now know, I would have opted for several weeks. She healed fine though, and kept climbing trees and getting stuck on the roof afterward. She kind of walked out of alignment, but she did great.
I am so happy for this kitty to have found YOU!
I had two dogs with fho's and they did great.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Postby critters » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:41 am

Oh yeah, I forgot we had a pelvis girl too. She was squashed flat on one side, but she did absolutely fine mobility-wise.
critters
Founding Member

Postby kodiblue » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks, guys. I worry too much, but I love her, and it hurts to see her limping around. Her name is Tink.
kodiblue

Return to Mobility: Hips, Legs, Joint Problems

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support

Become a Fan on Facebook.