Banner Image

Cerebellum Ataxia

Orthopedic/Arthritis: Problems associated with joints, bone, and connective tissue.

Cerebellum Ataxia

Postby timyyz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and happy that I found it.
I have a 2 year old Beagle (Chico Manuel) who has been diagnosed with Ataxia. His MRI showed a smaller than average cerebellum. It seems that the last couple of months he has not become worse but he does have quite a bit of difficulty with his balance and his leg and movement controls. He cannot go down stairs and cannot climb stairs without help. When he tries to run he is literally all over the place. Does anyone here have a similar neurological problem like this with their dog?
I am looking at the wheelchairs but not sure which I should try as he can still walk but is unsteady (both front and back legs), although his back legs seem a bit stronger.
The neurologist advised two and a half months ago that potentially he may not be able to walk in six months but that it could also plateau and stay like this for years. I'm really hopeful that he does not get worse.

Just reaching out to see if anyone else has similar issues and what may help.

Thanks!

Tim from Torontotimyyz
timyyz

Re: Cerebellum Ataxia

Postby critters » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:28 am

:red: Is the ataxia new? If not, he may have cerebellar hypoplasia (critter cerebral palsy). I built my megasevere CHer a "quad" cart that actually has 6 wheels, duallies in the front and offset for balance.
critters
Founding Member

Postby barbarony » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:33 pm

I have a 1 yr old boxer mix with CH...Cerebellar Hypoplasia! He is and always will be a clumsy dog. His conditions will not improve. I have worked at an animal hospital for 14 yrs and this is what I have learned through the very trusted docs I work with. It is important that my Roy not ever get heavy. I control his diet strictly. As he gets older his joints will wear earlier I believe bc of his unsteady gait. I let him walk on his own ALL the time. He needs to keep his muscles built up and strong. I would never put him in a cart. Sometimes CH is worse than others. I have seen some animals that can not hardly walk at all. I have seen a cat that could only roll. I am fortunate that my boy can walk. He is very clumsy, yes, but he can walk. The more excited he gets the more clumsy he is but he is a very happy healthy boy otherwise. I'm blessed to have him!!
barbarony

Postby Nstocker48 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:13 pm

So glad you have your pup! I didn't get mine from a breeder, and despite getting the dog for free bc she wasn't sure if something was wrong with him she refuses to believe his CH diagnosis, but mainly I got him because the original would-be owners saw him and didn't want him because he walked funny. The second I saw this dog I feel so in love. I'm also thankful to have my dog because who knows where he could've ended up, he found a patient, loving home for his rolly polly cuteness.
Nstocker48

Postby barbarony » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:29 pm

What kind of dog is he? How big? He may have a disability but still deserves a loving home and a good life. He is blessed to have you.
barbarony

Postby Nstocker48 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Absolutely, he found a great home and never has to be alone bc my boss lets him come to work everyday since i got him so hes always under my supervision. He's a 6 month German shepherd, about 45lbs. I instantly noticed the issue but my vet kept contributing it to just being puppyish quirks and his back legs were just him not keeping up with the rate he was growing. When I went for x-rays of hips and a 2nd opinion the vet said almost instantly it was CH and it makes so much sense and shr spent a good half hour or more going over it with me.
Nstocker48

Postby critters » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:34 am

If you have Facebook you might join https://www.facebook.com/groups/CHKitty ... f=NEWSFEED . Yes, it's a cat group (and there's a UK group, too, if you're in Europe), but there are a fair number of puppers there, too.

SO many vets can't tell the difference between CH and spinal cord injury. :roll: :roll: It doesn't really surprise me that they can't tell the difference between other stuff, either; veterinary habilitation/rehabilitation is better than it used to be, but it has a long way to go.
critters
Founding Member

Postby barbarony » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:06 am

I would love to have an MRI on Roy but I can't afford it. I work at a small animal practice and we don't have the capability to do that. We can just tell my his symptoms. He doesn't know any different and he is a very happy healthy guy. I do worry abt him injuring himself because of his clumsiness and sometimes falling into things so I have FIGO insurance on him. He does not seem to have a pain response and that could be very bad. I don't know if that is related to the CH. Some people would never take a dog with this condition because of the disability but God Bless you for loving your guy!!
barbarony

Postby critters » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:56 am

I have/had several I'd have liked MRIs on, just for curiosity, but it wouldn't have changed anything anyway. My Baby, who was very severely disabled, didn't seem to feel much pain, either. I don't know whether she didn't feel it, or just didn't care about it.
critters
Founding Member

Return to Mobility: Hips, Legs, Joint Problems