Banner Image

SCI boy cats and urinary crystals

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.

SCI boy cats and urinary crystals

Postby critters » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:00 am

This is by no means a study, and I'm by no means a vet, but I've had 4 spinal cord injured tomcats, at least 2 of whom had trouble with urinary crystals. Buddy (who'd been hit by a car) developed a weird neurological spasm at the neck of his bladder in response to crystals, which eventually got him PTS because he couldn't pee. Koi, who'd been shot in the spine, leaked pee when he slept but was never diagnosed with crystals. Ace, who is a tail pull boy, recently started peeing in his sleep, and, come to find out, had crystals. I upped the amount of the special urinary food I was giving the herd (they don't like it, so I was mixing it with blue Cat Chow), and within 2 days no more peeing everywhere! Even though the special food is more expensive than most, even at Walmart, it might be worth considering having all SCI tomcats eat it for prevention.
critters
Founding Member

Re: SCI boy cats and urinary crystals

Postby CarolC » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:01 am

This sounds like really, really important information. What brand of urinary food are you getting, that is available at Walmart? It's not prescription?
CarolC

Re: SCI boy cats and urinary crystals

Postby critters » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:40 am

No, no script. This is the Amazon link to the food; it's cheaper there, I see. https://www.amazon.com/Purina-ONE-Urina ... nary+tract
critters
Founding Member

Return to Paralysis: Neurological and IVDD