paralyzed shih tzu

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.

paralyzed shih tzu

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:37 am

On May 27, I left for one hour in the a.m. for a hair cut only to return to my lil' babee (4yr.old shih tzu) walking stiff legged. We rushed her to the vet and he took exrays and said she had some deterioration (thinning) in her spine and it would heal w/steroids and anitbiotics. We kept her strictly in her crate except for cleaning her because she had no bowel or bladder control. The next morning she was paralyzed. We went to a 2nd vet for another opinion and as soon as we took her from the crate he pretty much told us her life was over. He gave us another, stronger steroid and said give it 5 days and if there was no change we would need to put her down and our chances were 5%. I finally found a great animal hospital my Sister goes to w/her Lhasa's and they have been great. They said she has no deep pain sensation and probably would never walk again. They said we are doing an excellent job taking care of her and amazed that her bladder was not stretched and very clean. That is only thanks to this web site! Thank you again, I could not have done that w/out you. I express her bladder 3 to 4 times daily and we do bowel movements 3 times a day. She seems happy. My vet wants to check her bi-weekly and her urine samples but says we have a 50/50 chance that she will live even w/paralysis. I asked her if she should remain strictly in the crate but she said no. She does have movement in her front legs but doesn't really try to drag herself so she is usually by my side in the kitchen on soft mats w/pads. We use the diapers on occassion but make sure she gets air to the area too. I'm just lost and don't know what to do? The vet told me to hold off on a cart for awhile just to make sure she gets through the next couple of weeks. I want to do whats right for my Babee. I will not be selfish. She seems to have the will to live so that is what I will assist her to do. The vet also told me therapy is not reccomended. I do massage her because she loves it and just to keep circulation up. Can anyone please direct me in what I can do next to Help my babee have the life she deserves????
carmenlovesbabee

Re: paralyzed shih tzu

Postby Dianne » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:11 am

:welcomeblue: Carmen,

You did the right thing when you learned to express bowel and bladder. I presume the vet prescribed the antibiotics for a possible bladder infection, right? I think the vet is describing IVDD, right?

Looks like you are doing everything right, except I'd suggest crate rest. I am not a vet, but the owner of a paralyzed pet. Did you read about steroids and crate rest? Crate rest normally lasts 6 to 8 weeks- NO cheating; no dragging about the house.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10626

The vet told me pretty much the same thing about 4 1/2 years ago when my dog Schnitzel became paralyzed from IVDD. That's right, he has been paralyzed for 4 1/2 years, and not been ill. I think most people give up waiting for the pet to recover and vets are VERY willing to PTS. You CAN keep your pet. Don't let the vet tell you it's NOT possible to KEEP your pet healthy and happy. Dogs handle rear paralysis better than their owners.

Wait a bit longer for the wheel chair after you are finished crate resting. Paralysis is NOT a death sentence.

Let us know how you are doing.

Dianne
"How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world." -William Shakespeare
Dianne

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 am

Yes she perscribed anibiotics for possible infection. Sometimes there is blood in her urine and I expressed it in a container for her to test. She has me finishing the anibiotics and direction to only express 3 to 4 times a day. She(vet) said expressing it too much can cause this too. We are going to test her urine every 2weeks. And yes she suffers from the same disease IVDD. I will follow your advice for the crate. How will I know when it is time to move on to the next step? Do I feed her in the crate? She eats well and is barking louder everyday!! The vet is optimistic I think but at the same time cautious. I am a stay at home mom so I will be here for her. While I do other things or have to leave for periods at a time to run errands will she be okay in the crate w/no one home? My daughter is graduating tonight and need to attend. That may be 3 hours or so, will she be okay? I'm sorry, but I'm so new to this and want to do the right things for my girl. Thank you for your patience and knowledge....I'm so greatful...Carmen
carmenlovesbabee

Postby Dianne » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:37 am

Yes, she will be OK in the crate for 3 or more hours. There are other people on this bb who crate their pets, come home to express urine at lunch, and then go back to work. I can wait 8 hours overnight to express urine, but usually do it 4 times per day for both bowel and bladder.

Offer water often while she is on steroids. She'll be more thirsty. Some people also give a Pepcid to protect the stomach lining as occasionally steroids cause stomach upset. To encourage drinking more water: Poach a skinless chicken cutlet and dilute the cooled water (if she won't drink regular water). Feed and give water while in the crate; remove her carefully to express urine.

CarolC put her dog in a crate on the table, while in crate rest, so the pup could look out the window and see the household activity. Put toys or chew toys in the crate for entertainment.

The blood in the urine is most likely a small infection. Did they prescribe clavamox?

She may or may not recover some abilities in crate rest. Usually when a dog loses bowel and bladder control, the damage is severe. My dog lost bowel and bladder too, but a dog CAN live a happy life if you are willing to express urine. Dogs usually don't die of rear paralysis unless the owner doesn't catherize or express urine, but you're doing that.

You're doing great! Congratulations on your daughter's graduation. Try to have a happy time.

Dianne
"How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world." -William Shakespeare
Dianne

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:19 am

I'm not sure of the name of the anitbiotic. The first vet perscribed it and the new vet said we can keep her on that for now til its done. She is also on Tramadol for pain, 1/2 a tablet twice a day. She was panting heavy on Monday and I rushed her down. They said her vitals were fine but probably in pain. So that is when they gave me tramadol. I did as you told me and put her in the crate. She is not liking it but I know its for her own good. She does well at night all night but I guess she'll have to get use to being back in during the day. She is drinking and eating on her own. I will do the chicken broth, that sounds great. The vet did not mention anything for stomach upset. Do I have to get that? She is holding down her food. She had 6 and 1/2 days left of the steroid Dexamethasone. Is that okay....Thank you for all your well wishes and on my daughters graduation.
Last edited by carmenlovesbabee on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
carmenlovesbabee

Postby Dianne » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:22 am

Pain can be a good thing. It can mean that her nerves aren't dead!

If she doesn't have any diarrhea, I think you can safely assume that she didn't react to the steroids.

Dianne
Dianne

Postby CarolC » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:44 am

I have very little to add to what has been said. How wonderful that you are expressing already. That is the single most important thing. :trophy:

I would be inclined to start her on a stomach protectant such as Pepcid a/d just to be safe. The vet can give you the dosage for her weight. We have had dogs here that got bleeding ulcers, one of them requiring surgery.

It is great to see someone say the information on the website is helping.

I have 2 paralyzed dogs that enjoy life. Your dog can still be happy. As long as you are willing to care for her, that's all that matters. I hope you will post updates on how she is doing, and any questions you have or any discoveries you make that might help others.

:gang:
CarolC

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Thank you again for everything. I called the vet and am waiting for a reply on the dosage of the pecid ac. She is 20 lbs. You wouldn't know the amount would you until the vet can get back to me? I think the hardest part is leaving her in the cage. While I will continue this it still hurts, I wonder if she thinks I don't love her as much because of this accident. And as stated before, I could not have done any of this w/out this site. I've checked so many and found this one to be such a life saver. Thanks for your patience, knowledg, and support. Will update accordingly....
carmenlovesbabee

Postby Dianne » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Famotidine (Pepcid AC)

The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound <of body weight> (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours.

Source: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/fa ... page1.aspx

Edited to add $2 off Pepcid AC coupon: http://www.pepcid.com/page.jhtml?id=pep ... fers_2.inc

If each original strength Pepcid AC tab is 10 mg. ,then she would take 1/2 to 1 tablet every 12 to 24 hours, for a 20 lb. dog. It's still a good idea to talk to your vet.

We know that it hurts YOU to crate her. She still knows that you love her if you talk to her and stroke her. You'll still take her out of crate rest to express.

Does she express easily? Does she complain when you do poop on demand?
Dianne

Postby maxwell » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:35 pm

I feel as if you are walking in Maxwell and I footsteps. I miss the routine I use to have. I also express his bladder several times a day. It is all so strange to me! He does EVERYTHING he use to do BUT WALK! I do wish I had more time but all in all, between my husband and I Maxwell probably goes outside 3-5 times a day. Yesterday I had his crate open and turned my back to sun and get him some fresh water in bowel and when I came back in the room he had hopped out of that crate and had inched himself to the doorway looking for me. Needless to say he was fine but it scared the daylights out of me!
maxwell

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Thank you for the info. on the med.s. I'm waiting now to hear from vets on dosage etc.. Babee always was the doggy you could do anything to w/out complaint and even still. she is so easy to express in both departments. Its as if she loves me more when we're done, her way of saying "thank you Mommy I feel better" Thanks again for all of your support, I can't say it enough, we both thank you!!!!
carmenlovesbabee

Postby jazzybaby » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:23 pm

I was sorry to read what has happened to your baby, i know how it feels i have a 4 year old cocker spaniel that is recovering from IVDD surgery it has been just about 6 weeks now and i tell you she has been through a lot but she is still a little trooper she still wants her toys and to be where ever I am. I read that your vet gave her a 5% chance of ever walking again and i just wanted to tell you not to get discouraged or give up hope. As someone like you being new to all of this i had started to get discouraged and then i found this site and it helped so much hear from other who have been through the same thing. My dog neurologist gave her a 50% chance of ever walking howver just two weeks after surgery said he was not sure if she would ever walk again even though we have noticed improvement in her everyday something small that most would think were silly to be so happy about. We have started taking her to her regular vet again becuase she is willing to work with her she is now doing laser therapy and hopefully soon will start water therapy. We work with her a few times a day doing home therpay which has helped she now can sit up and lay back down without any help. She has started kicking and stiffening her back paws when we tickle them. My husband and i express her 3-5 times a day. She even started licking at her paws which i have been told on this site could be a very good sign. The neurologist says she still has no deep pain response however there are folks on the this site that say it can take months for a recovery. So what ever you do don't give up hope and keep saying prayers for her. It will work out and the folks on this site really know what they are talking about.
jazzybaby

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Thank you for the encouragement!! My dog was not a candidate for surgery, however, I still hold out hope. I will keep everyone posted.
carmenlovesbabee

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:53 am

Was wondering if anyone could let me know if I should be perfoming any massage therapy on Babee? And I wanted to know if the twitching in her right paw meant anything. I was messaging her right paw very carefully and she fell asleep. When I rubbed around her nails her head jerked up and she looked back at me. I'm not seeing the twitching in her left leg at all. It has only been 1 wk since her injury so I didn't want to do anything to further injur her. She seems to be happier than ever. Which is all I wanted. Her to feel good again. You can see it in her eyes. Thanks again
carmenlovesbabee

Postby Dianne » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:21 am

http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/m ... rcises.htm

Paralyzed dogs doing conservative crate rest do only do #1-4

Hip Flex/Rotation. Very gently start at the hips. With thumb and forefinger grab the hip joint. With other hand support the the leg below the hip. Begin moving forward and backward slowly and gently 15 times. Do not over extend, just move the joint at the extension the dog would move it naturally.

Supporting the leg, rotate the hip joint in semi circles (4 o'clock to 8 o'clock and back to 4 o'clock). Slowly and gently without over rotating. Repeat 15 times.

Knee Flex: With thumb and forefinger grab the knee joint. Support the leg below the knee with other hand. Gently flex the knee forward and back into position 5-10 times.

Ankle flex: With thumb and forefinger grab the ankle joint. With the other bend and straighten the ankle 15 times.

Toe wiggling: Move each toe up and downward 5-10 times
Dianne

Next

Return to Paralysis: Neurological and IVDD

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support