paralyzed shih tzu

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.

Re: paralyzed shih tzu

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Okay here is the update...Babee has been back to the vet. for more antibiotics and her urine is getting clearer everyday. The last two days, however, i have been unable to express urine. If I don't get this right I won't be able to help clear up the infection. I think I've been doing it wrong this whole time. Thank God her bladder was not stretched out. Originally they checked her and said her bladder felt great I was doing a great job. I even got her to express in a cup for a urine sample. It wasn't that much though so after watching it done correctly this afternoon I know I was not doing it right. I've read all the blogs and watched video's to no avail. We went back to the vet.s today for another demonstration only instead of thinking beforehand and having them let me do it there they did it successfully. That was 11:30. I tried just 1/2hour ago and was unsuccessful. I just did the chicken broth idea again and I hope I am more successful this next time I try. I am feeling desperately for the ballon feeling but mayby its just not that full yet or I am too afraid of hurting her. You've all given me such great advice so I'm not sure what else you can tell me, but did anyone else go through this in the beginning. In that I mean it being difficult to get down at first. I don't want to let her down or diminsh her chances of living. Please help. I can not keep going back to the vets right now because we already spent hundreds of dollars in a short amount of time and it will take a few weeks to recoup. The vet and I discussed me taking her iback in the a.m. again if I don't get it right. Thanking you in advance for your patience and guidance...desperately....carmen
carmenlovesbabee

Female dog needs help expressing

Postby Dianne » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Do any of the vet tech's in that office know how to express? You could make an appt. with the vet tech, which should be cheaper...

CAROLC expresses Katie. Maybe she could offer some suggestions. BOBBIE- are you out there?

There is no one way to correctly express. You're looking for success to get the job done, however it works for you. If you're not getting all of the urine out, then you need to rethink your method, ask for a reinstruction at the vet's office, or even catherize as a last resort.

Is she resisting your attempts to express? Getting any more movement in the rear legs?

Edited to add: Yes, other people have reported some difficulty learning to express completely. You're not alone. But you CAN learn to do this. Right now I'm teaching my husband to express so I can take a week long trip outta' here.
"How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world." -William Shakespeare
Dianne

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:01 pm

She seems really relaxed and I don't think she's resisting. The vet had no trouble getting alot out. I'm thinking I'm just worried of squeezing too hard and in that train of thought not squeezing enough. Not sure. I'm not sure what you meant about movement in rear. She goes # 2 w/out any problems 3 to 4 times daily w/ease. If you meant physical movement, none that I see except the twitching in her right leg I told you about and of course her rear at times pushes out poo on its own. Thats usually scheduled. You can tell when she has to do #2 she goes in a cirlce for awhile. I tried the chicken broth and waited 1 1/2 hours as stated when I took her diaper off it was soaked and I couldn't get anymore out. I'm not sure guess I'll revist vet. in the a.m. and have them watch my attempts and place their hands over mine if necessary.
carmenlovesbabee

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:03 pm

p.s. Where are you going away for vacation? I was to leave this tues. to Puerto Rico But given the circumstances I cancelled. Hopefully where ever your going there will be sun. PA is starting to feel like Washington, huh?
carmenlovesbabee

Postby Dianne » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:05 pm

I squeeze very firmly when I express my dog, using clenched fists.

Here is a diagram of a cat bladder, but a small dog's bladder should be located about the same place. Study the diagram, and give it another try.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ca ... tails.html

It takes a moment to load the flashing yellow bladder. The tail is to the right.
Dianne
"How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world." -William Shakespeare
Dianne

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:33 pm

can you tell me if when you find the badder what size should it feel like. If you took a plum and shrunk it by 50 percent thats what I'm feeling. I squeezed but just a drop came out. But the diaper I took off was really wet. So I'm not sure, like I said I'll try of course in the a.m. before travelling to the vets and this time I will have them watch me to see what I'm doing wrong and maybe shadow my hands in the correct way. The good thing is its alot clearer than before
carmenlovesbabee

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!! I did it! Thanks again to Diane and her patience, persistance and knowledge!! I tried the two fisted way and it worked. So much at once. I did it til it dribbled. At first just her tail kept going up but no urine so I moved a bit and changed my hands to fists and it worked!! Thank you, thank you, thank you so much. Thats such a huge relief for both of us...lets hope it keeps workin' for me.
carmenlovesbabee

Postby CarolC » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Dianne is a good teacher! :D
Congratulations, Carmen! I had trouble too, at first, it took me a couple of weeks to get it right. I know the feeling! :yay:
CarolC

Postby Dianne » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:03 am

:bounce: :wow: :cheer: :banana: :chick: :chicken: :ecstatic:

WOWEE...SUCCESS sure is sweet!!!! GREAT NEWS! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh long sigh of relief.

Dianne
Dianne

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:03 am

CarolC wrote:Dianne is a good teacher! :D
Congratulations, Carmen! I had trouble too, at first, it took me a couple of weeks to get it right. I know the feeling! :yay:

Loved seeing that it took you a couple of weeks. Made me feel much better and more confident. I tried again upon waking w/no success. I gave her food and water then we had a bowel movement. I went back and did it again w/great results. So thank you carol for the encouragement!! Hopefully I will master it too.
carmenlovesbabee

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:03 am

Dianne wrote::bounce: :wow: :cheer: :banana: :chick: :chicken: :ecstatic:

WOWEE...SUCCESS sure is sweet!!!! GREAT NEWS! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh long sigh of relief.

Dianne

Couldn't have done it w/out you Dainne!!
carmenlovesbabee

Postby carmenlovesbabee » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:14 am

More great news!! I thought I was finally getting the expressing down but still wanted to go to the vet. appointment I made, just to be sure I was completely emptying the bladder so babee's uti could clear up and not come back. While at the vet.s I asked him about babee's chances of her getting bladder control back. He took a look at her and said that she was pretty limp in her hind end and had nothing really in her tail so he wasn't very sure or hopeful. Then he said, well its been a while since we checked her deep pain so lets give that a try. We put her in the stand position and he squeezed her left paw and she looked back at him. Then he tried her right and she yelped!!! He said wow she has deep pain!! I'm crying right now w/joy as I'm typing this. I wanted to tell everyone. And I am. I wanted to share this w/everyone to give some hope and to maybe let them know to never give up. Babee's original vet said it was just a bad back. We took her to the 2nd vet. on day 2 of her injury and he said she was hopeless. He told me to give her steroids for 5 days and if there were no signs of movement he wanted us to put her down. I went to the third vet.(her present one) and they have gave us the best outlook, care, and advice. And now this wonderful news. So please never give up.
carmenlovesbabee

Postby Dianne » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:29 am

:applaud: :ecstatic: Carmen,

Thank you for trying the 3rd vet!!! I guess you fired the first two. I fired my first vet as he told me to bring my Schnitzel back in a week...for PTS (put to sleep).

WOO HOO!!!! Deep Pain is wonderful news.

Dianne
Dianne

Postby CarolC » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:25 pm

That is really, really, really, really good! Sounds like you've got a much better vet! :D Happy for you and your dog!
CarolC

Postby smithpk85 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:02 pm

That is wonderful news!!! :mrgreen:

I was excited when my Maggie regained deep pain sensation. She has continually gotten better. We learned of her feeling returning on April 15 when she sent for a check up. On April 20 she wagged her tail. She is now using her back legs in her cart. I do no have to express her anymore either. She goes on her own in her cart.

You will probably see small improvements every day. It is exciting to watch them recover.

Pam
smithpk85

PreviousNext

Return to Paralysis: Neurological and IVDD

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots