My dog suddenly lost abilty to use her rear legs tonight

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.

My dog suddenly lost abilty to use her rear legs tonight

Postby Dougaljk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:46 am

I am so thankful that I found this site......

Tonight I came home from getting groceries and my 5 year old poodle terrier kix (Molly) was lying behind the door unable to move her right rear leg. I don't understand, an hour or two before she was running and playing in the backyard, chasing squirrels.

At first I thought her leg had fallen asleep so I massaged it. Then my boyfriend and I took her right to the Emergency Vet. They did an Xray and think that they see some narrowing of the spine but are not sure. They are going to keep her overnight and put her on an IV drip and give her steroids. They are hoping that she will be better by tomorrow morning. If not, they suggested an MRI but to be honest I can not afford the $5000 for the MRI and then the additional 4-5K for the surgery (if needed).

Last year she was diagnosed with a front lope benign tumor which up until now just affected her breathing and her vision. I am not sure if this was related. She does not have any reaction when they pinch her toes on her right leg (which I know is bad).

I don't know what to do. Has anyone else had this type of situation where it came down to Surgery or Putting their dog to sleep? I want to give her a chance to run and play again.

Thanks

Shannon
Dougaljk

Re: My dog suddenly lost abilty to use her rear legs tonight

Postby critters » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:35 am

Many people around here have family members who have NOT had surgery, so stick around!!!
critters
Founding Member

Postby Cindidoxiemom » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:55 am

Welcome to the board~
First...to some checking...I have never heard of an MRI costing 5k. It really should be around 800 or so. Make some phone calls.

Xrays are really useless in diagnossing IVDD IF that is what is going on with your pup. Myelograms can help with diagnossing FCE and IVDD. Talk to your vet about these options.

I think IV steroids was a good decision. If this is IVDD or FCE steroids could help.

Make an appointment with a good neurologist. They can do a neuro work up and discuss treatments like Craterest/steroids, surgery, acupucnture etc.

I don't quite understand your surgery or PTS decision. I am the proud mommy of a paralyzed dog who lives a very good life. He has a wheelie cart and goes everywhere and does every thing.

Talk to your vet about bladder and bowel control as most dogs who become paralyzed do loose the ability to pee on their own. I express Oscar 3 times a day...it takes only minutes and is no bother.

YOU DO NOT have to Put Your Dog To Sleep! Let us know when you get an update today.

Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Cindidoxiemom

Postby connie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:29 am

hello and welcome,
first thing, cindi says it best, the cost is wrong and all her advice is right on the money. a lot of us are raising paralyzed pets and it is fine. make sure the vet tells you what is wrong, then have them show you how to express bladder. my cricket had a disk ruptured last nov. like yours, he was fine one minute, then down the next. i was blessed with a great vet who sent me to another state for surgery. the vets let me pay them out monthly.all together his sugery cost about 3,000 dollars. cricket had to stay in a crate for 6 weeks to heal, that is most IMPORTANT thing when they have a injury. whether you decide on surgery or not, please crate for a few weeks so your babe can heal. a lot on this site chose not to have surgery and their pets are healthy and very happy. they can live long happy lives paralyzed, believe me. mine is getting his deep pain back , slowly but surley. but he can get around fine with no cart. he runs, plays, does everything except pee on his won and jump. he amazes his vets every visit. it will be stressful at first, till you learn all the things you need to do, but it is so very worth it, we will be here for you any questions you have just ask. i don't know what i would have done if not for this site and the great pet owners here.
let us know updates and how we can help. you and your baby are in my prayers.
there is hope, bless you both.
hugs,
connie and cricket
connie

Postby Dougaljk » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:19 pm

Thanks for all of your responses

We went to check in on Molly this morning and they think she has developed deep pain sensation in her rear legs (which is good news). She was happy to see us but was kind of out of it (which I am sure is a combination of the meds).

However, her front legs have now gotten stiff and they are thinking meningitis. I did take her hiking last weekend in the mountains and I suppose it is possible that she may have encountered a tick or something?

She can not go potty on her own but I spoke to her regular vet and she is willing to show me how to empty her bladder. She however, doesn't suggest that we even do a surgery what with her brain tumor and other health issues so I think an MRI is not worthwhile afterall. She suggested giving her at least another week of home care before making any rash decisions.

I am now thinking about bringing her home and just doing crate rest. I am just confused because we are not sure what is going on. I don't know if it is a disc, a stroke or something tick related. Right now they are just treating her for everything. I just hope that she progresses in the next 24 hours.
Dougaljk

Postby karkorny » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:38 am

Has your vet mentioned FCE? That's basically a type of stroke to the spine. The reason I ask is because of the progressive paralysis. That's how my Bully's condition presented. Stiffness in one leg, spread to both front legs, and by morning, total paralysis. The good part is that the amount of paralysis you get in the first 24 hours is usually as far as it's going to go. There's no test for FCE, but it can be determined by eliminating everything else. You need to find out if this is the case because if so, then crate rest is NOT the answer. On the contrary, exercise and rehab is what is needed. Also, there's no surgery either. Maybe you'll have some more insight on what's going on today. My dog was diagnosed with an FCE August 1st and since then has gone from total paralysis - we're talking, not even a tail wag - to walking today. He's not 100-percent yet, but my hope is that he will be one day soon. He was unable to walk at all for about 6 weeks, I think it was, and then started gradually getting movement back. Please don't feel that euthanizing your pup is the only answer! There are so many alternatives. I'm sure he's been a good pet for you till now; stick it out with him. He'd do the same for you, I'm sure. karen
karkorny

Postby CarolC » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:07 am

Dougaljk wrote:I am so thankful that I found this site......

Last year she was diagnosed with a front lope benign tumor which up until now just affected her breathing and her vision. I am not sure if this was related. She does not have any reaction when they pinch her toes on her right leg (which I know is bad). *snip* We went to check in on Molly this morning and they think she has developed deep pain sensation in her rear legs (which is good news). She was happy to see us but was kind of out of it (which I am sure is a combination of the meds).

However, her front legs have now gotten stiff and they are thinking meningitis.

There is something called the Schiff-Sherrington response where the front legs go rigid. It is sometimes associated with cervical (neck) disk problems. The only way the front legs are likely to be affected is from a problem in the neck or brain.

She can not go potty on her own but I spoke to her regular vet and she is willing to show me how to empty her bladder. She however, doesn't suggest that we even do a surgery what with her brain tumor and other health issues so I think an MRI is not worthwhile afterall. She suggested giving her at least another week of home care before making any rash decisions.

If you can't afford the MRI, I would not do a myelogram in this case because of the tumor. From what I understand, if a dog has a brain tumor and they do the punch in the spine for the myelogram, the dog doesn't wake up.

Here is information on empyting the bladder. That is an immediate. She won't be comfortable with her bladder full and can get an infection when urine stays in it too long. Her bladder should be emptied completely every 8 hours.

http://handicappedpets.com/wiki/index.p ... dog_or_cat

I am now thinking about bringing her home and just doing crate rest

Your situation is unique enough that I doubt anyone here knows for sure what to do any more than you do. Your plan sounds good to me.
CarolC

Return to Paralysis: Neurological and IVDD

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support

Become a Fan on Facebook.