help! my paralyzed dog has bowel movement on his fur

For those seeking advice on caring for incontinent pets and animals with kidney-related problems.

help! my paralyzed dog has bowel movement on his fur

Postby tbone4 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:52 pm

My two year old maltipoo recently had surgery to reduce disk compression in spinal cord. His back legs are paralyzed. He's been hoome from the hospital for a week, and I am exhausted trying to keep up with the pee and the poop. Although he wears a male wrap, as soon as I take it off he pees. I express him, and pee comes out, but once I bring him in, he pees all over himself. I clean him immediately , but he is still getting urine burn.

Sometimes he will warn me that a bowel movement is coming, but today, he made three times all over me and his fur was a mess. Since he can't squat, the bowel movement goes all over his fur. Should I be expressing his poop? Will that make him less likely to go on his own if he does regain the use of his legs? How should I deal with the urine issue?
tbone4

Re: help! my paralyzed dog has bowel movement on his fur

Postby Bobbie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:25 pm

First, pee: what are you using in the male wrap to soak up urine? Half a large Poise pad works well. If he is furry below his penis, where the urine scald occurs, shave him off, and use something like Desitin there to prevent urine burns. You may not have to do that very long, but it will help until you get a good routine figured out to keep him dry. Express him, use a baby wipe to wipe off any urine on his abdomen, and put the male wrap back on. He shouldn't have a chance to leak if you do that. If the Desitin is too messy, another option is to get him clean and dry, then spray a liquid bandage like Nexcare on his skin. That will protect it for a few days at a time.

Poop: the best thing is to get his diet adjusted so his poop isn't very soft. Then poop won't smear as much. You can try expressing poop (poop on demand) so that he isn't pooping in his crate and getting messy. And you can shave a "poop chute" under his tail so there is no long hair to get poop on, making it easier to keep him clean.

The good news: both of these things will get easier. It's all overwhelming now but eventually it will be no big deal. His bladder will probably adjust to the schedule of being expressed, you'll get better at expressing all the urine, and leaks will get few and far between. Get his diet adjusted and his poop chute shaved, and poop problems will go away. Eventually you will probably be able to let all the hair grow back, too.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Postby theservs » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 pm

I agree with shaving the area. My Maltese is shaved so the poop doesn't get everywhere. I recently bought some panties that catch the poop. I haven't worried since. I use the pads too inside Dolcezza's pantie and it catches the urine well, then the poop pouch pants catch the poop. They are at http://www.pouchpanties.com. She'll make them custom to your fur-child.

Good luck and hang in there, it gets better!

Judy and Dolcezza Mia
theservs

Postby CarolC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:50 pm

I would definitely shave the area, it will grow back. Being a maltipoo he probably has a long coat.

There is an expressing technique called "express, rest, express". You express the bladder, wait 5 minutes (or however long you need to) and then express again. If you wait a few minutes after expressing, the bladder will shrink and regain its round shape and tone, and make it easier for you to express again. You may have to express him more than once to get him empty. With practice your fingers will learn what an empty bladder feels like. I thought I was getting my dog empty the first couple of weeks but I was not.

I would wait till you are outdoors to remove the male wrap and then put it back on before carrying him inside. You could also express him indoors on a puppytraining pad or underpad, do you have any of those? It will save you carrying him outside so often. Hang in there, it gets easier.

There are several formulas of Desitin, I would choose one without zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is poisonous if licked. I tried original formula Desitin with zinc and it did a fantastic job, but got on his fur outside the male wrap somehow (don't ask me :? ). I'm afraid if that happens to your dog, with a light colored coat you won't be able to see it. My dog is a golden retriever so I could see it. I use A&D original ointment (without zinc) and it does a good job and has a nice manly scent.

I realized the reason my dog got a urine burn was I was not putting on the ointment often enough, because then I had greasy fingers which were hard to wipe and wash off, and it also made putting the male wrap back on hard because I didn't want to smear ointment on the wrap. I solved that problem by getting disposable gloves from Walgreens. I wear them to apply the ointment, then remove them to fasten the wrap.

:heartswelcome:
CarolC

Postby critters » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:48 pm

:red: Shaving a pooper path is the way to go. If I shaved a pooper path for my Ari, though, I'd have to shave her from nose to toes, because falling in poop would appear to be her favorite pastime. :D
CarolC wrote: I use A&D original ointment (without zinc) and it does a good job and has a nice manly scent.

Like Merlin cares!! :twisted: :hysterical:
critters
Founding Member

Postby CarolC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Considering how fresh I've been with his manhood lately, it's probably small consolation. :blush:
CarolC

Postby CarolC » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:37 pm

Today my vet recommended Desitin to use under the male wrap. He says it is what they use for urine scald in the clinic. He says they seldom see a case of zinc toxicosis.
CarolC

Return to Incontinence & Kidney Problems

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support

Become a Fan on Facebook.