Cat spinal injury - expressing bladder

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.

Cat spinal injury - expressing bladder

Postby Sulleyd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi,

Our cat had her tail ran over on Friday July 24. Her tail was instantly limp, but she was able to walk almost normally. I took her to the vet and the xray showed major damage to the spinal cord at the base of the tail. She is currently unable to control her urination or bowel movements. Her bladder needs to be expressed (any tips?) - just brought her home from the vet tonight and she is sooo happy to be home and is ripping around fairly well. I am worried about the amount of care she will need as my husband and I farm and are not able to be home on a consistent basis. The vet suggested we wait a few weeks before making any major decisions as she may regain bladder control. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Anyone have a success story similar? She is also on oral laxative and she is able to go on her own however has no control over when/where it occurs. My poor baby :(
Sulleyd

Re: Cat spinal injury - expressing bladder

Postby Sulleyd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:08 pm

By success...I mean did anyone have a cat recover/regain bladder control after tail trauma? Thanks!
Sulleyd

Postby Bendy Kitty » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:21 pm

greetings and welcome

nerve function can most definitely come back, but it may take months instead of weeks. If you look on the mobility board there are many pets who sustained injuries which left them incontinent that later regained control, so definitely yes your girl can get better!

Even though she is running all over, I would keep her confined for a few weeks to give the swelling time to go down. Swelling form trauma puts pressure on nerves, and is not necessarily something you see. She doesn't need to have a big lump to have enough pressure to affect the nerves. As swelling decreases, the nerves begin to regain function and to heal. Being somewhat active will help her bowels keep moving, but I woudl only let her have a short period of activity (for bowel health) and confined (in a crate or small room) the rest of the time.

How often are you home? Can you express her bladder once every 24 hours at least? You can find some good info about expressing bladder (and bowels) on the incontinence board.

good luck with her
and, again, welcome to HPets!

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Postby CarolC » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:09 pm

Hi Sulleyd,

Ideally it is good to express every 8 hours, but I think many of us have let it go 10 hours or longer occasionally. From what I understand, there are some vet clinics that only express once every 12 hours, though I would not want to do that on a routine basis. Expressing takes very little time. I did a poll last year and almost everyone said it took them less than 5 minutes.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11116

My main thought would be that if she's a outdoor cat, it could be a problem if she isn't around at expressing time. It would be easier if she was indoors where you could find her.

:whale:
CarolC

Postby critters » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:13 am

:red: Is she taking a steroid? Is her "laxative" lactulose? If so, it's actually a softener, and it's a very friendly one. Make sure you see the incontinence bb, and you might want to see the neuro one, too.
critters
Founding Member

Postby Sulleyd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement during this difficult time. I am still trying to learn how to express Cricket's bladder, and am finding it so difficult. I brought her home last night and she was so happy to be here, but I was unable to empty her bladder this morning so had to take her back to the vet. This evening when I went to pick her up/try again, there was a new vet on and it really bothered me the way he handled my baby. Up until now it has been a really good vet - kind, gentle and sympathetic to my overflow of tears each time I visit. The guy tonight put Cricket on the cold metal table (usually they lay a towel down and it absorbs the urine) - When I tried to express the bladder, this guy lost patience with me really quickly and took over the job - expressed the urine on the metal table, which of course ran everywhere making a mess. Crickets tail (which doesn't move) was lying in it, her feet were slipping -it was soooo awful I can hardly stand it and have been crying on and off all evening. I just want to bring her home. Does anyone have any tricks for expressing the bladder of a cat? I will check the other forums too...but just wanted to provide you with an update. She has not regained any control - and seems to be the "worse case scenario" as she has absolutely no anal tone either.

All I need is a miracle.....
Sulleyd

Postby critters » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:29 am

To be honest, I had NO luck learning from vets either; they automatically had a mindset I couldn't do it. Nevermind they weren't born doing it either!!!!! HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE DESCRIPTIONS, VIDEOS, AND XRAYS (oops-no time to go fix that :oops: ) on the incontinence bb? BUDDY'S bladder was a large water balloon right between the "wings" of his pelvis, and his spastic bladder took a good bit of pressure.
critters
Founding Member

Postby Sulleyd » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:59 pm

She peed...she peed...well...she peed a little bit and I am sooooo excited. It is a step in the right direction. Still needing to be expressed for the most part, but vet is optimistic :) YAHOOOO....Thank you all for the support and direction. Honestly, this is the best resource sight that I have found and you are all soooo helpful. You definitely helped me remain optimistic this past week and I am sure I will continue to need some support in the long weeks that follow. I will keep you posted on Cricket's recovery! Have a great long weekend!
Sulleyd

Postby CarolC » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:45 am

If you decide to bring her home, see if they will send her home on antibiotics. That will give you a little comfort knowing she has some protection for a couple of weeks while you are learning to express. None of us knew how to do it at first. :)
CarolC

Postby Bendy Kitty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:55 am

Mom found learning to express Mimosa to be a very frustrating experience.
I'm sorry you had a bad time with that one vet. I hope some of the urine ran off the table onto him.

Mom gets downright aggressive with vets if she doesn't like how they are doing things.
If you get him again, before you even take your cat out of the carrier you demand a towel, then if he is being rude you can point out that you are paying for his service, not his attitude thank you and if he woudl be helpful then you could maybe learn something.

Mom did actually learn from her vet. Tehre are picts of her expressing Mimosa on teh instruction page.

Pretty much mom kept trying and trying to catch Mimosa's bladder against her pelvis but it is slippery and it kept slipping out one way or the other, and Mimosa knew just how to kick to make it pop out of mom's hand.

then one day, magically, it worked.
and it worked again. mom was thrilled.
she has been expressing Mimosa 2 x a day for almost 7 years now.

we've read a lot of similar experience, that it just suddenly works, like your fingers finally find the magic way to press and TADAH it works.

it is good she is starting to pee on her own, Mimosa will sometimes, but it is important to empty out that bladder as much as possible :)

hey, here is a thought. practice aiming the stream and then take her in to the snotty vet and say "oh let me try" and squirt him with it, then do a little happy dance saying "it worked! it worked!"

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Postby critters » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:03 am

:hysterical: Bendy! GREAT idea! I want to aim Koi at the vet that wants to kill him... :twisted:
critters
Founding Member

Return to Other Problems

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support