Banner Image

Inbred Chihuahua

Post any other problems here that do not fit into the categories above.

Inbred Chihuahua

Postby Roux's_Mommy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 pm

Well I got the greatest little puppy last year for x-mas from our neighbors... she was inbred.... now that came with a lot of problems...ever since I saw her as a puppy I fell in love, didn't think I would actually be keeping her. I would always baby sit her and everything.... I guess it is good that I got her b/c the girl that had her wasn't taking very good care of her.

She is missing her front right leg... well it isn't missing it is in a V shape...that is why her other name is flipper.

Now she has A LOT of problems walking she kinda stumbles everywhere. I want her to be able to run where she wants and have fun like dogs should...but I feel so bad for her b/c she tries soooo hard to play out side then usually ends up laying down. I guess it is my fault for always picking her up and holding her but I do worry about her and I don't want her to get hurt, she gets along very very well with our other dogs and she is in love with our husky. Any good walking devices? Or should I just see if she can start waking on her own?

There is also another problem she has... :( When she get overly excited or if it hot outside she gets these weird muscle spasms.... its like thousands of ants under her skin and her legs get all stiff....and sometimes she whines which breaks my heart b/c she never yelps or whines... not even when out AM bulldog accidentally almost sits on her.

She gets really really hot and starts panting and her back legs go straight and she can't move them, I took her to the vet once and they gave her diazepam they wanted to do some neurological tests but I didn't know if that was needed...I thought maybe she will just grow out of it...well we put cold water on her... hold her for a bit then when she stops panting a lot we leave her be on her pillow so she can relax and there are no distractions and she gets better...these usually happen 2-3 times a month... last month it happened 1 time...this month 1...so that is good...its not as bad... is there anything I can do to help her? Anyone else having the same problems?

I love her more then anything in the world ...and of course the other animals...

but for some reason from the moment I saw her I knew something was special about her. She has made my life feel whole. I am married I love my husband but she has made everything even more better!

Can someone help me or give me some advice with these problems?

Heres some more pictures of her
Roux's_Mommy

Postby critters » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:28 am

What CUTE pics!! You might want to check out the amputee bb; she's basically a birth tripod. If you want a prosthetic, it would have to be custom.

Her arm looks like my Lefty's (same arm, too), and I think he has syndactyly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndactyly Regardless, it doesn't bother him.
critters
Founding Member

This is something ...

Postby GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:39 am

I was so wrapped up in having every one look at these amazing photographs, that I didn't write anything!

They are AMAZING! :snoopy: :ecstatic: :welcomeheart: :banana: :chicken:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Seizures?

Postby Dianne » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:15 am

took her to the vet once and they gave her diazepam they wanted to do some neurological tests but I didn't know if that was needed...I thought maybe she will just grow out of it...well we put cold water on her... hold her for a bit then when she stops panting a lot we leave her be on her pillow so she can relax and there are no distractions and she gets better...these usually happen 2-3 times a month...

I think you may be describing seizures.

Karen or Cindi, what do you suggest?

What a cute puppy and a happy pet family. All of your pets seem to love this little girl!

Dianne
Dianne

Partial repost

Postby CarolC » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:28 am

Your dog is precious. I imagine she will get better at walking. It might help to keep the grass mowed really short for now, though it looks pretty short in the photos.

You might be interested in a chihuahua named Scooter and his sister Amy. Scooter has no front legs.

This is Scooter's homepage.
http://disabledchihuahua.8m.net/

This page shows Scooter growing up, and pictures of a homemade cart they made for him.
http://disabledchihuahua.8m.net/photo.html

This page shows Scooter walking without a cart.
http://disabledchihuahua.8m.net/photo6.html

Here he is at the park.
http://disabledchihuahua.8m.net/photo5.html

This is Amy, a chihuahua who has only partial legs.
http://disabledchihuahua.8m.net/custom.html

This may be the cutest picture you will ever see, Amy at the breakfast table!
http://disabledchihuahua.8m.net/photo2.html

Scooter was given a professional cart by a group of elementary school students who did a project and raised money for it--they are an amazing class. Here is the story of the class project and pictures of Scooter in his new cart.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/ ... /index.htm

This is the contact page for Scooter's family. Perhaps they would give you tips on caring for your dog.

http://disabledchihuahua.8m.net/contact.html

Hope this helps!
CarolC

Re: Inbred Chihuahua

Postby mumpkees » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:09 pm

What absolutely adorable pictures! You have a beautiful furfamily, but she is just priceless.

I may have missed it being caught up in all the cute pictures, but I don't see how old she is. I actually think that with time she will learn to balance herself so she can run and play. There are many three legged dogs from surgical amputation and within a short time most return to their usual activities. Those who have a disability from birth adjust quickly as they have never known anything else. As Critters says an artificial limb would require custom fitting and possible extensive surgery.
I would have a vet check her just to make sure there aren't any obvious complications, but given time, I think she will be fine. It is always kind of 'painful' at first for special needs parents to see our babies stumbling and falling, but we need to allow and encourage them to do as much for themselves as they can. Provide a safe environment for her and encourage her to practice running and playing to perfect her balance by interactive play games. Her other four legged companions will also include her in their play and this is good as long as you don't let anyone get too rough.

Unfortunately inbreeding can cause a lot of things. I would have her vet check her heart as I know with young cats who are quickly out of breath and panting during play you can be looking at heart problems.

Now as to the other thing you are describing - it sounds like a small seizure with the typical 'recovery' sequence. You do need to make sure that she doesn't hurt herself, but allow her to work through it. We had a large dog who had epilepsy for all 14 yrs of her life which we controlled w/ medication. She would just stop what she was doing and because she knew it was starting, would try to lie down. Sometimes she would make it, other times she would fall to her side - legs stiff, panting, feet paddling. I would just go and sit with my arms gently around her shoulders and talk to her so that she wouldn't try to get back up. (Her life mate also sensed when she was going to have a seizure and if we were not there with her would come and get us so don't be surprised if one of the other dogs starts to whine, get excited and run back and forth between your baby and you).

Emma's seizures would usually last about 2 minutes and then she would start to 'come out of it' but i would still hold her so she wouldn't try to rise before she was steady. Some animals loose control of their bodily functions but Emma never did. She usually came out of it and was thirsty and sometimes hungry. Each cat or dog is different and sometimes each seizure is a bit different.

Sometimes there is a cause for the seizures, other times even after extensive tests no cause can be found. However, dogs (and cats) with epilepsy and seizure disorders can live relatively normal lives with medication to 'control' their seizures as there is no 'cure'. It is important to control the seizures (no more than two or three per month) as uncontrolled seizures can cause brain damage and other organ damage.

What you need to do is start a log. Write down the date, the time, the duration of each of these 'episodes'. Also write down what she was doing at the time it started. Playing, sleeping, eating, was she in a room with the TV or other device that might have been 'strobing'. Anything else you can think of that might be important - all this information will help you and your vet determine if there is any pattern or particular instance that might be triggering her seizures. If the frequency of these episodes becomes more than a couple of times a month or she starts having several in a single day, she needs to see her vet and he will probably prescribe phenobarbitol (the drug of choice for seizures). For most dogs and cats this drug works well after the initial adjusting of dosing to control the seizure activity but not make the baby a zombie. There are also other drugs that can be used singly or in combination if the phenobarb doesn't work, but for most it does with the fewest side effects. Many are hesitant at first to give their baby drugs as they don't want them to be medicated all their lives, but with medication (just as with us for chronic conditions) they can live long and happy lives.

I would start my 'seizure log', but I would suggest you take her soon and have a good examination done and have her heart and lungs checked.

She is just too cute and you are so blessed to get to share your life with just an adorable baby. Keep us posted. /mari
/mari
Spiritcat and the Mooseheart Mumpkees of southeastern Texas
mumpkees

Postby Roux's_Mommy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:53 pm

Thanks everyone for the awesome info!!! I am sooo happy I finally found people that know what I am talking about.

I will def. make a log with all her episodes! I also checked out that site and I am going to e-mail the people with the cute little pup scooter.

Oh yea she is a little over a year old. I would have thought she would be walking a lot better now but... I guess it will take time... Thanks everyone again for the great input. I will write more later. I gotta go to bed ... Roux is waiting for me!

Here some vid's
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... d=11321591
http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... id=6065678
Roux's_Mommy

Postby FYI » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:10 pm

http://www.mabrychihuahuas.com/pages/hypoglycemia.htm wrote:Hypoglycemia

If you are going to become a toy dog owner you will want to familiarize yourself to the symptoms of Hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is often seen in young toy puppies, and most of the time the symptoms can be controlled by eating, or by giving some glucose such as sugar water to the puppy. Glucose is what the body uses as fuel and is necessary for the brain tissue and muscles to function. Hypoglycemia is when the blood sugar levels (glucose) fall well below normal.

It can cause your puppy to become confused, disoriented, drowsy, have the shivers, stagger about, collapse, fall into a coma, or have seizures. If not treated it can result in death. Episodes of hypoglycemia often occur without warning. A puppy may be stressed by shipping, or a missed meal, being chilled, or even exhaustion from too much play. Recurring hypoglycemic attacks in toy puppies can cause brain damage. If a puppy has frequent attacks he/she should be tested by your vet for possible underlying problems.

Because of their tiny size toy puppies cannot eat a lot at one time, and literally run out of fuel quickly. Puppies should be fed several times a day a high quality diet. Most puppies will outgrow the problem. Some very tiny dogs will continue to have bouts of hypoglycemia through out their life. If your puppy experiences episodes of hypoglycemia it is important to restore the blood levels of glucose as quickly as possible.

http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/molera.htm
FYI

Postby Roux's_Mommy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:36 pm

SO it is ok for me to give her sugar water? OMG I really hope nothing bad happens...will try to take her to the vet very soon. Last doc that just checked her heart/blood and all that said she was ok...but he really didn't do all that much.
Roux's_Mommy

Postby critters » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:06 am

A bit of sugar water should be fine; some people use a dab of corn syrup on the gums.
critters
Founding Member

I have a library of seizure material on my hard drive

Postby GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:15 am

if anyone wants a forward. One quick tip I found was to keep ice cream in freezer and smear some if seizing. Same idea as sugar water or corn syrup.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Postby luvmytripod » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Hi there!

I don't know anything about seizures or hypoglycemia, but I do know about puppies born with wonky front legs...(I have one...Jaida was born with a type of "club hand/foot" and could not use the leg for walking).

[b]DO NOT BABY THIS PUPPY!!![/b] I know she's crazy-cute and tiny, BUT....

[b]She is FINE[/b]. Yes, she's going to fall and bonk herself. Often. This comes with the tripod territory. But she's not going to hurt herself. Watch her when she falls or stumbles (try not to react in any way, because she's going to freak out and feel fearful if you're freaking out and acting fearful...just calmly observe)...does she seem really distressed? Or does she just get back up and try again? I'm guessing it's the latter.

[b]Don't [/b]carry her around. People make this mistake too often with small dogs as it is, and it really can ruin their confidence and make them fearfully aggressive. With your little one, this is extra important. Let her walk (unless, of course, you come to an obstacle she's not able to get around or over) as much as possible. This will not only help her to feel independant and self-reliant, it will also help strengthen the muscles she needs as a tripod and will help her learn how to get around in a more coordinated fashion. Our gal Jaida fell ALL THE TIME as a gangly puppy. Now, at 15 months, she has the occasional faceplant, but she just carries on as if nothing ever happened, and loves to play with other dogs and go on walks.

Let this little one be the strong, brave little girl she needs to be!
luvmytripod

Postby Roux's_Mommy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:05 pm

Well she is finally walking a little better we take her out a lot more often and for longer periods of time.

Right now she is having a seizure.. I can tell this is a bad one, she is crying more then normal, we have ran her under cold water 3 times already ( She seems to relax when we do) I gave her sugar water and it didn't really do anything yet. Gave her some food she ate a little bit. Weird thing we were laying in bed..yea it is 8pm but I am an early sleeper. Well I noticed her legs were starting to get that weird looks like ants under her skin, told my hubby he said she wouldn't have an episode. Well 10 min later she did. I might have to get some corn syrup and see if that works a little better. Oh yea and the ice cream. I always pray that it is a quick one and she doesn't feel any pain, I would rather feel that pain then her any day.

She seems to be getting better now, she isn't crying now. Well I am gonna go check on her. Poor girl having an episode and in heat...
Roux's_Mommy

Postby amyd » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:38 pm

Hello -
I have a tiny chihuahua too. I give Brooklyn 3-4 small meals throughout the day to maintain her blood sugar. I also keep some Nutri-Cal around. She likes it as a treat. You can get it at Petsmart. Most vets have it too, but they up the price. I haven't seen it at Walmart yet. I just give her like a half a teaspoon and she licks it right off the spoon. It smells disgusting, but she loves it. It's got some protein and fat and stuff in there that hangs around longer when you don't need something immediate, like the corn syrup or sugar water. They have a Nutri-Cal for puppies - I'd call before I went to go get it - they're always out of it. It's great to take along on short trips. Just throw it in your purse. BTW, all of your critters are so cute! Good luck with your new baby. Amy
http://handipet.com/gallery2007/v/Brooklyn+from+Texas/
Here's Brooklyn's Link to her photos!
amyd

Re: Inbred Chihuahua

Postby stacybinnj » Thu May 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Have you asked your vet about hydrocephalus? (water on the brain). It's common in Chi's and if your dog is in-bred the likelihood is even higher. Dogs should have no problem with 3 legs so the weakness and especially the seizures are symptoms of hydrocephalus. Your pup's skull looks a little more domed than usual. Again, another symptom....

I have a cat with hydrocephalus so I'm unfortunately very familiar with this uncommon congenital disorder.

Stacy
stacybinnj

Next

Return to Other Problems