Cats: Barbara, Bendy, Critters, Jean, Lisa, Mumpkees, anybod

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
CarolC

Cats: Barbara, Bendy, Critters, Jean, Lisa, Mumpkees, anybod

Post by CarolC »

Does anybody know of a heart med for cats that doesn't slow blood blow to the kidneys? To slow the heart rate.
Jean

Re: Cats: Barbara, Bendy, Critters, Jean, Lisa, Mumpkees, an

Post by Jean »

Carol,
Is this Betsy? Why not just treat the underlying problem which is her hyperthyroidism? Unlike a thyroidectomy which is irreversible the thyroid meds could be lowered if she experienced a problem with her Creatinine and BUN levels. Why is the vet opting to reduce the HR using cardiac drugs? /Jean
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It's my own confusion. I asked about the thyroxin or whatever it is, he says getting the heart rate down with thyroid meds will lower the blood supply to the kidneys and may tip her into renal failure. I seem to remember my other thyroid cat was on a heart med (spironolactone or something that was supposed to also support the kidneys) before he got his Iodine treatment. That was from was another vet, who I am calling tomorrow.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Carol,
I also have a problem with keeping all the "furry kids" and their meds straight. I looked up Spironolactone in the Plumb Veterinary Drug Handbook and it is a "Potassium sparing diuretic" so it probably was used with your renal cat to treat potassium depletion. I couldn't find a heart drug for cats that began with the letter S.
Enalapril which you mentioned earlier is used for the "treatment of heart failure and hypertension." It also mentions that it is being explored as "adjunctive treatment in chronic renal failure."
Hope this helps./ Jean
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thanks, you jogged my memory. The spir. was considered protective for cardiomyopathy, I was thinking kidneys. Following radioactive iodine treatment the cardiomyopathy (caused by the hyperthyroidism) resolved of its own, often it does not, then he was taken off the spir. I was thinking kidneys, that's how mixed up I was. I was reading about enalapril on MarvistaVet, hav used it with a cat before, it does say can harm kidneys. I wonder if there is such a thing as giving such a low dose that her heart rate could at least get below 200, but not try to bring it down all the way, I will call and ask about that.
CarolC

Does your book have info on diltiazem and kidneys? *NoMsg*

Post by CarolC »

Jean

Re: Does your book have info on diltiazem and kidneys?

Post by Jean »

Carol,

"Diltiazem is a drug of choice by many clinicians for the treatment of feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Diltiazem may be useful in the treatment of hypertension, atrail fibrillation and supraventricular tachycardias". (rapid heart beat) "Diltiazem should be used with caution in geriatric patients or those with heart failure (particularly if receiving beta blockers), or hepatic or renal impairment."

Carol as you know almost every drug is excreted through the kidneys or liver so there is almost always that precaution since geriatric pets excrete drugs more slowly.

I have the fourth edition of this book and the fifth has already come out. I have the third edition just gathering dust in my basement. They don't change that much from year to year. I should just send it to you. You do so much for all the owners and pets on this web site. If you want it it is yours.

Hope Betsy gets to feeling better real quickly. /Jean
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm afraid I don't know diddly squat about heart meds, but Bendy does. emailing her now.
critters
Founding Member

Bendy says she can't help either. :( *NoMsg*

Post by critters »

CarolC

Thanks, both! *NoMsg*

Post by CarolC »