Dogs: Getting dog to use new cart?

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
RichB

Dogs: Getting dog to use new cart?

Post by RichB »

Hi Everyone-

We are having trouble getting a client's large German Shepherd to try out his new cart. The fit seems OK, no discomfort.
He just stands in it and doesn't move!

I suggested to the owner trying to coax him to walk short distances with food treats.
What else can she try?

Thanks for any help with this-
Rich B.
RC

Re: Dogs: Getting dog to use new cart?

Post by RC »

Hi Rich. Molly did the say thing the first time we put her in her wheels. We put her in it for a few minutes each day, just so she could get use to it. I would get behind her and gently move her as my husband coaxed her. Once she saw that she could move, she started taking small steps and now she is all over the backyard.
I've heard that some may take longer and maybe this fur-baby needs more time. Just tell them not to give up and continue to be patient. I'm sure with time, he'll get the hang of it.
RC
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I can't think who it was down below who had the brilliant idea to put the food bowl on a rope and pull it around the kitchen, but that'd probably get him moving! The reward is in the bowl, too. I'd also try to do fun stuff with him--ball, maybe even trips to the store, where there are LOTS of reasons to want to move and sniff.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

I took Wesley to Petco to "practice." He was motivated when he saw other dogs, and the floor was smooth so easy for him to pull the cart. He really took off when he got to the beach on our vacation, though, so I usually advocate going somewhere where the dog forgets the cart and wants to run.

Bobbie
RichB

Thanks all, I'll keep checking back! *NoMsg*

Post by RichB »