Help Needed: 48 hours to save a little dog's life *PIC*

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Paul Coover

Re: I'm really sorry

Post by Paul Coover »

I know that we can't save every dog, but this stinks.
Dianne

I'm so very sorry

Post by Dianne »

Debbie,

I wrote again,including the cc's to the tourism bureaus. One has to doubt the civility of a country that kills despite a family waiting to adopt. Are they afraid that a handicap is catching, or a stigma?

I'm so very sorry for the loss of this little girl dog.

Dianne
Debbie-Spain

This is absolutely crazy

Post by Debbie-Spain »

The people who work at the perrera in the mornings said that she had been put to sleep. She was no longer in cage no. 12.

The guy who works on security in the afternoon says she is there, and he got special orders to put her in a room with a heater.

Nobody knows what to believe, and we won't know until tomorrow whether she is alive or not. Her adopter and the adopter's lawyer believe that she is dead, but there seems to be some doubt now. Typical Spain.

Don't worry if you sent mails after my last message, I think they are getting so many they just can't read them any more.

Still haven't been able to find out about the cocker spaniel either. Hopefully tomorrow someone on Mallorca will go there and check out whether they are there or not.

I hope she is alive, but I don't trust them an inch..

Will let you know as soon as I get any more news, sorry to leave it all hanging in the air

Thanks again

Debbie
Winnie

Re: This is absolutely crazy

Post by Winnie »

Yeah, crazy and teeth-grinding !!

How could they possibly ignore the flooding emails and petitions ?!

Do let us know if there's anything further we can do.

Winnie
Debbie-Spain

Today they say she's alive

Post by Debbie-Spain »

That's what the council says, but nobody seems to have any proof, the people who work at the pound are treating it all as a big joke...

You cannot imagine how frustrating it is. The cocker girl has a family waiting in Germany but we don't know if they will release her or if she is still there.

As soon as I get anything definite I will let you know,

Thanks, I know they have received many many emails from around the world, I just hope it does some good..

Debbie
Dianne

Re: Today they say she's alive

Post by Dianne »

Hi Debbie,

"...the people who work at the pound are treating it all as a big joke..."

Perhaps the pound needs a change of employees. sigh* If they can't/don't produce the pup, then we have no reason to believe that she is alive; the email campaign should continue.

Dianne
critters
Founding Member

I agree.

Post by critters »

In fact, her untimely death would be apt to enrage the masses enough to maybe fix this messed up system.
Debbie-Spain

Latest.. *LINK*

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Anyone who calls is being told to look at the item published in a local paper. It's in Spanish:

http://www.diariodemallorca.es/?pConten ... Noticia=11

It contains parts of a letter I wrote and that many people copied and sent, though that was not my intention.

They say she is alive because of the campaign (just the newspaper received 180 mails from around the world, the council and pound will have received many more) and that possibly they will keep her alive but not give her in adoption. They say they are waiting to see if the leishmania has affected her kidneys, which it does, but they can still be recovered. I think they will use that as an excuse to put her to sleep.

I think the pressure has to continue...

Thanks, at least we know she is alive because of the mails so they served a purpose...

Debbie

http://www.diariodemallorca.es/?pConten ... Noticia=11

article in Mallorca daily
CarolC

Somewhat similar situation at our local shelter

Post by CarolC »

I found a dog I wanted to adopt but he was under medical care for heartworms and their rules did not allow him to be adopted. However, I agreed to complete his medical care, and they made me leave a very large deposit with them, refundable when I could prove the heartworm treatment was complete. Then I was allowed to take him home sick.

Maybe the shelter can use this option as a way to appear to keep their rules, yet adopt out the dog and get out from under the media storm. Can you pass this idea to the lady's lawyer?
critters
Founding Member

But is she REALLY alive?

Post by critters »

I can't read but bits and pieces of it, but did the newspaper people actually see her? Have you, or people you trust?
Debbie-Spain

Update *LINK*

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Thanks Carol, I will pass that on.

The situation is that supposedly the little dog in cage no. 12 is still alive but no longer in cage no. 12, her life pardoned by the local councillor for public health and the environment.

They say that they are treating her and that because of all the fuss they will not put her to sleep but they will not give her out in adoption either, and that maybe as a "special concession" they will keep her at the pound as a kind of mascot.

Obviously nobody here is going to accept that. It lacks all logic. This is a killing shelter, dogs have about 20 days before they are PTS, no exceptions. So now one of Spain's larger animal charities (there are only 2 large ones really) whose lawyer has been working on this has asked to "take her into their custody" and the council have said they will study their request.

Anyone else who calls is told to refer to the local paper (a different one to yesterday) whic has covered the story and contains the council's stance. It also contains some excerpts from a letter I wrote and many people copied... (link below). The newspaper wasn't on all the mailing lists but it started taking an interest by the time it had received 180 emails from all around the world!

I'm trying hard not to write any expletives, but it's difficult. I still haven't been able to find out about the cocker girl, but I know that there is a person on Mallorca who is trying to get her out for a German family.

We are kind of trying to work out our next move. The whole point is that it's not just the dog in cage no. 12. I can understand that they will not give out dogs with distemper or parvo, but animals with chronic illnesses or disabilities (we are even talking a lame dog here) just seems ridiculous. You would think they would be pleased not to have to put them to sleep! So we need to get them to revoke that regulation, and a change of personnel at the pound would be great...

Unfortunately this kind of thing and worse happens all over Spain. For some reason they are always willing to break rules here except when it comes to animals.

I will keep you all updated on her fate, thanks again so much to all of you that wrote, because of those letters, at least we can still try to get her out...

Debbie

Article in Mallorca newspaper
Debbie-Spain

Re: But is she REALLY alive?

Post by Debbie-Spain »

That's the difficult part, Mallorca is an island only reachable by plane or boat, so we can't just drive on over there to see. We depend on people there, and there are not many of them.

It seems that the people there do think she IS alive, but I don't know of anyone who has actually seen her today.

That is why I can't really say what we are going to do next, because we don't really know, I think maybe I'll ask the newspaper to go and see her.

Will keep you updated, thanks for the interest

Debbie
critters
Founding Member

Good idea!! The paper should be willing. *NoMsg*

Post by critters »

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

If you're not too busy, I'd be glad to write again, but would do better with another sample paragraph.

Also, if you have the email address of the paper, will copy them along with the others.

Sorry, can only imagine how busy you are. Thanks if you can.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'll post my note after I get it translated, too.