Dogs: Irritation from Expressing Bladder

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Tinker's Mom

Dogs: Irritation from Expressing Bladder

Post by Tinker's Mom »

I've noticed that Tinker's skin is quite pink from having his bladder expressed 5 or more times a day. The hair is somewhat worn away, which you can't do much about. But, can anyone recommend something safe to put on the skin covering the bladder area, maybe overnight, to soothe it? Of couse it needs to be non-toxic since the odds of him trying to lick it off are pretty high. I've tried aloe (didn't do much) and I'm afraid that Bag Balm or Vitamin E would make a sticky mess.
Jerry

Re: Dogs: Irritation from Expressing Bladder

Post by Jerry »

When my dogs skin starts to look a bit raw or dry I use Lanolin Cream, it soothes her skin and it has an amazing healing quality. I wash her down every night with a flannel and some warm water with a touch of savlon solution in it and then put the cream on. I do not have the problem of her licking it off though as she pays no attention whatsoever to the area she cannot feel. Maybe if you add some tea tree oil to whatever cream you decide to use it may put him off licking it. My dog gets sores between her front toes that she irritates by licking so if i put tea tree oil on them she does not like the bitter taste and it is also good at repairing skin. It is a natural substance so does not do any damage even if he was to lick it. Good luck!
Jerry
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Could you put a male wrap or diaper over the sticky mess? I don't notice this problem with my dog, who is expressed 4 times a day, I'm curious about it. You sure it's from expressing? There are other conditions that cause hair loss on the abdomen, such as thyroid.
Tinker's Mom

Post by Tinker's Mom »

I guess covering it after applying some kind of salve is a possibility. I was hoping to find a (nontoxic) cream that would soothe the area, rather than something gooey.

Where the hair is somewhat worn away and the skin gets pink isn't on his abdomen. It's right over the bladder area where we compress to express him. I wouldn't call it very inflamed, but it does look pink. He is a beagle, with white hair and light colored skin there, so maybe the area has just gotten sensitive to constant handling and squeezing.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'd also be cautious of not making a slippery mess, making it hard to express. I don't have any ideas, though.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I use the lanolin everyday and have no problem with expressing her with it on. Mind you my dog has very short hair so it does not make a mess it rubs in thoroughly.
Tinker's Mom

Post by Tinker's Mom »

Thanks for the ideas!