Story: Simon moved his leg!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Marni

Story: Simon moved his leg!

Post by Marni »

On Sunday, a friend who was over observed that Simon was moving hs left leg in his cart and not knuckling when he moved the cart. He is still knuckling on the right and both legs are held stiffly.

I've watched him in and out of his cart these past couple of days. He definitely moves the left leg from the hip and tries not to knuckle. No deep pain though. And the right does not seem to have any of these improvements. He seems to hop around when not in his cart and goes along quite nicely in his cart.

Is this progress?

Any feedback appreciated!

Marni
critters
Founding Member

Yay Simon!

Post by critters »

He could be totally limp with no response or muscle tone at all, but knowing his foot is turned over and being able to fix it is a terrific thing; he must be feeling his toes!

Congratulations!!
Winnie

Re: Story: Simon moved his leg!

Post by Winnie »

A good sign anyway ! Congrats !

Winnie
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Story: Simon moved his leg!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Marni, I've never had to deal w/paralysis (thankfully) but this sounds EXCELLENT to me! The little things are HUGE. Yay, Simon!
Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Re: Yay Simon!

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

Marni Weeble & I are cheering for Simon! WAY TO GO SIMON!!!!! It's an incredible feeling isn't it? The joy when our babies acomplish something that to others may be small, but we consider HUGE steps...always makes my heart soar!
Keep up the good work!
Tinker's Mom

Good for Simon! *LINK*

Post by Tinker's Mom »

Marni, keep up the good work and celebrate each little victory. As long as you see improvement of any kind, he's heading in the right direction. There are dogs who never recover dps and still relearn to walk! And, it isn't unusual for one side to be stronger than the other- Tinker is that way, too.

Tinker's Tale of Recovery
CarolC

Re: Good for Simon!

Post by CarolC »

My dog is stronger on one side, too. Her physical therapist said it is not uncommon for one side to show improvement more quickly, and she also said (which I don't understand) that the sides can switch so the other side is the stronger one. Congratulations!!!
Jean

Re: Good for Simon!

Post by Jean »

Dear Tinker's mom, I just finished reading your story about your beagle boy Tinker. It was so inspirational. I wanted to ask you a question about the valium you had him on for his excessive bladder tone. I have a cat that is paralyzed. Her neurologist recommended that Jaime also take valium for the same reason. I didn't leave her on it long because it made her so sleepy, excessively hungry, vocal and she seemed uncomfortable. In addition, she had severe constipation problems. Now, she is on metacam a NSAID but the side effects scare me. I am wondering if we should try valium again but at a lower dose. How long was Tinker on valium and did it make it easier to express him. The neurologist said usually pets adjust to it and he prefers it over phenoxybenzamine. I'm wondering if I took her off it too quickly.