Help Needed: Does Anyone Else Have a Dog With a Severe Head

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Jane Walbridge

Re: Beth (Weeble's Mom) may be by soon

Post by Jane Walbridge »

Your guy can't walk??? How do you manage? I'm assuming that he's small. What a tragedy that he is so handicapped from drugs. I've worked with children with CP and they can get very frustrated and angry. I would too if I was locked into a body that didn't obey me.

I'm not sure that I would not have put him to sleep but I wasn't there and its hard to quit on someone who won't quit on themselves. I never met Gloria until 9 months after her attack so it wasn't my decision to make. She's happy although she'd like to change some things about herself. She loves us and we love her. I guess that's all anyone can ask.

Give Weeble a hug for me.

(((HUG)))
Jane
Carol T.

Re: Oh, absolutely! No one comes before my poopers! :)

Post by Carol T. »

I'm glad your baby recovered and that you looked beneath the other's behavior. That helps with pets...and with people, too!! What you see isn't necessarily what really is. As I mentioned in the article about Sparke...he is the only dog that ever bit me and drew blood...three different times! He never did it maliciously, but because my behavior threatened him...and once because he was scared (the claws on his little withered foot got caught in a chain leash. He was crying, and I tried to free him...later had those claws removed).
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Jane, I'm curious...how was it discovered that Gloria was hit with a baseball bat? Was her attacker prosecuted....I hope?
JaneGael

Post by JaneGael »

That was what the vet said. It was either a bat or a piece of pipe from the marks it left. Baseball bats are common weapons in that area so that's the guess.

No, her attacker was not prosecuted. It's a terrible neighborhood and the woman who rescued her is savvy to the culture and simply bought her as a bait dog for $50. If she had tried to rescue her the woman dragging her around whould have clocked her would-be-rescuer and vanished. If she had been arrested the chances of her getting jail time are minimal. The cops ignore the dog fighting and try to catch the bad guys who are murdering humans. It's not a nice place and this is Manhattan... :(

Peace,
Jane
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

...and yet some violent crimes could be averted if the powers that be recognize that anyone who abuses an animal has a greater than average potential of committing a crime of violence against a human. If only they would arrest them and get them some help, they may be able to keep that from happening.
Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

Jane~ Yes Weeble is small,8 pounds, & yes he gets frustrated very easily, but so do I since I too have CP. I have arms & legs like everyone else,but just can't make my body do some of the simplest tasks that everyone else finds very easy to do.
Yes there were people here who felt I'd made a BIG mistake in adopting him, but when they see how he has blossemed they have quickly changed their minds.
He is a full time job, but so are handicappable human kids, & somehow their parents cope..... no differance (to me at least) than a handicappable pupper or kitty.
((((((hugs))))))

Beth
Robyn

Re: JANE! Hi!

Post by Robyn »

Hi Jane, I think that since you can't find much information on traumatic brain injury in dogs, you need to go with whatever info you can find out on the same thing in humans and apply it. I do know that the frontal lobe of the human brain directs our personalities, so Gloria's sudden acting-out could be due to her being hit in the forehead, which is not unreasonable to assume in her case.
So. Is there medication that will quiet brain function in the frontal lobe only? I don't know but it's worth looking up.
In the "old days" people with personality disorders (psychotic/violent level) had surgeries to remove the frontal lobe but thank goodness that's no longer done.
I think it might be worthwhile to research bipolar disorder medications. Xanax I think is more for people with anxiety disorder, but I'm not that familiar with the different "antidepression" meds out there.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Here in SC, I am happy to report

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

that they are finally getting serious about dog & hog fighting (seems the hogs are the bait). When my AllixMurderedPup was shot, I went to the Sheriff to file a cruelty charge. I was told since I did not see it happen, was nothing they would do. Even tho I staked myself to the spot where she was shot every day at 4 pm until the perp came back. They always do. He was showing another man how and what he did. Nothing.
Carol T.

Re: Here in SC, I am happy to report

Post by Carol T. »

I do wish citizens would become more vocal about it. Then perhaps something positive would happen. Did you confront the perps? What a shame that nothing happened to the perps...yet!! I do believe there's a special #### for the scum that do those kinds of things.
JaneGael

Weeble

Post by JaneGael »

There are ALWAYS people who will tell you that you shouldn't do something or other. I mean who on earth wants a brain damaged pit bull. LOL Certainly not me...until I met Gloria. I've never been able to resist special needs anything which is why I have a house full of special dogs and have a degree in Blind Rehabilitation.

I am sorry to hear that you have CP, I have friends with it and know its a real pain in the butt. Most people have no idea how frustrating it is to have your body just say "No!" to something simple. Good for you for not only not quitting but for taking a guy like Weebles and helping him to have a life.

He's only 8 pounds! Wow I have a 4 months Shih tzu mix puppy who is tiny and is 7 pounds. I can't imagine an 8 pound adult. I'll bet he's cute as a bug.

Peace,
Jane