Plans for One Story Ramp?

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Lefty

Plans for One Story Ramp?

Post by Lefty »

Our German Shepherd, Sallie, has just been diagnosed with Degenerative Myelopathy. We need to build a ramp for her from ground level to the first story deck. Any ideas about where to start or know of any plans available for such a DIY project? Thanks very much!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Plans for One Story Ramp?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Yes, I'm a real do it yourselfer. Go to Home Depot with photos of pup-I took many color photos and a bucket of emotion. Measure the distance of the ramp-if it's more than a 25-30deg. or so incline (depending on the dog's ability), get hinges-2 per "step". 4 1x2s top bottom & sides, plyboard in middle & carpet grass or rubber treads. I took my photos and my tears to Home Depot, they sold me scrap pieces AND BUILT THE WHOLE THING FOR ME & CARPETED IT FOR FREE WITH SCRAP. We were all in tears. I wrote a letter to paper thanking them among others for their selfless help. Give it a TRY!!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Plans for One Story Ramp?

Post by critters »

You might also try sites for humans with disabilities; that should be a pretty common request, and you could decrease the width, if you wished.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Sure!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I still have the ramp in my yard, let me crawl around in the dirt and get my dimensions & supplies list and I'll be back!
markcrobinson
Site Admin

Tell us More!!

Post by markcrobinson »

I'd love to do a page on your ramp... the full story if I can with materials lists and photos. Interested?

- Mark