Severe Hip Dysplasia in my 7 month old puppy

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Hilary

Severe Hip Dysplasia in my 7 month old puppy

Post by Hilary »

I just found out today that my almost 7 month old lab mix puppy (Brandi) has severe hip dysplasia. She is already having a hard time getting around and sometimes whines in pain while moving. The DR. said her best bet is a total hip replacement for both hips. I know that will be expensive, and I am not sure that we can afford it. Is there anything else we can do to help her? I am not sure what to do from here. Thank you.

Hilary
critters
Founding Member

Re: Severe Hip Dysplasia in my 7 month old puppy

Post by critters »

I'd be sure to tell the breeder (if there is one); 7 months is WAY too young for that!!

Yes, there's another surgical possibility. I can't think of the name of it, but they cut the ball of the hip off, and the critter forms a false joint. As weird as it sounds, it can work well in some cases. I don't know if there are age or weight restrictions, etc; everybody I know who's had it suggested as a possibility is smaller than your baby is likely to be. Still worth a thought, though.

You might also consider wheels if nothing else works out; she has a whole life to live!!
teknoturtl

Post by teknoturtl »

Thanks for the reply. I did let the puppy "mom" know. She is a friend of a friend, and she kept 2 (?) of the puppies from the litter, and a friend of hers has one. I figured I should let them know. I am totally knew to this, but what is our option with wheels?

I am pretty sure the vet said that Brandi would not be a canidate for the surgery where the ball is cut off because of the degree of her dysplasia. He didn't really elaborate much on that though.
critters
Founding Member

wheels

Post by critters »

Down in this page are the links to both the homemade cart page and the "research other companies" option. That's where the cheaper and alternative companies are (that list is as comprehensive as we know of). He probably won't need a quad cart (4-wheeler); other options include walking or non-walking. Check it out!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/dogkart/index.html

link
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Removal of the ball from the hip joint is called FHO. St. Jude had it done-his ball jammed into socket from being thrown out of a car and run over by another- and even though doctor didn't sand the shards of bone behind it, he runs and jumps and plays like a puppy. Took many months for recovery, but he also had both bones in front leg shattered by gunshot and other hip knocked out of whack by inches. So your recovery ought to be quicker. Did and does very well but find a good orthopedist, get recommendations. I didn't have that option.