A Dilemma - I don't know what to do.

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Jennie

A Dilemma - I don't know what to do.

Post by Jennie »

Hi, My name is Jennie, and I am writing for any information or direction you can give me. Two years ago I had to put down my beloved golden reriever Aqua from cancer at 10 years old. Last year I replaced her with a young golden male named Echo. At about 5 months I started to see the dreaded signs of hip dysplasia in him. I felt the best thing to do was to put him to sleep. I know there are surgeries that can be done to replace his hips....but I am disabled and do not have much of an income. There the dilemma increases. I have had a carotid artery close. Once they are closed they cannot be opened....The other carotid is only open about 30%. This creates a condition where I feel weak and disoriented at times due to not enough oqygen getting to my brain. I also seem to have episodes where I have blank spells. Now it gets more complicated...my Echo seems to be able to recognize when these spells are about to happen and is trying to warn me. At first I didn't get it. Then I didn't believe it. Now after some research I find that dogs are capable of this wonder. Now how do I put to sleep a dog I love and that is also my key to being safe.His warnings have probably kept me from falling several times, once on the stove when I was cooking. He started to act strange, so I turned off the stove and sat down. That probably kept me from being burned. My question is how much do you know about hip replacement? Does it really work? I live in northeast Pa. Do you know of any qualified surgeons in my area? Can you think of any organizations who would help me with the cost? Is there anywhere I can get funding that you know of? Am I just fooling myself....because there is no where out there to get help? Should I just put him to sleep. Once that is done it cannot be undone. I don't want him to suffer....but I am so afraid that once it is done, and my boy is gone I'll be surfing one day and find the funds. Any info you can give me would be appreciated more than you could ever know. Thank You, Jennie
Msjenniepconway@aol.com
RichB

Would a cart help?

Post by RichB »

Would a cart-wheelchair help for now?
I made a lightweight cart for a German Shepherd whose hind legs were paralyzed. They are using it now.
In "special needs" cases, I charge only for shipping and some materials.
I can e-mail pics if you want to see it.

For now my advice is DO NOT put him down, try to be patient and continue seeking solutions and reaching out, as you have been. He sounds like a great companion dog for you.
I think you will get many positive responses during the week here.
RichB
critters
Founding Member

Re: A Dilemma - I don't know what to do.

Post by critters »

You might try wheels, like Rich suggests. You might also try Debbie_Spain's link somewhere below for the Orthodog group. For $$ assistance you can try imom.org.

I've never known anybody who got a pupper's hips replaced, but I saw it done on "E Vets" on Animal Planet; the pupper did very well, as I recall.
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Jenny,Dogs with these abilities are sought after to help people who suffer seizures and other problems that dogs can sense. I can't think of a name now, maybe someone reading the post will. If you can locate the orgizinations maybe the can help you, as your dog already has the ability. Don't give up what ever you do. I know there is a very long waiting list of people waiting for a dog like this.
CarolC

Question

Post by CarolC »

Hi Jennie, I just have one question. Are your under any sort or restrictions as far as lifting or exertion?
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

If there's one thing I know, it's how to get a community to pull together to work miracles. Contact all local shelters and pet assistance leagues, veterinarians, ask them for monetary assistance, write a story for your local paper, contact your local television. There are funds out there for needy dogs, it just takes some digging to find them, ask your local humane association to assist with a fundraiser. You need your pup as much as he needs you and this could save both your lives. I smell a miracle about to happen here! This can work! Believe! Good Luck and if you were close by I would help you in a heartbeat. People in 3 counties and 2 states that I never met helped me save a life. I would like to pay it forward. Karen
RichB

OK

Post by RichB »

I understand. If you need a cart sometime in the future, let me know, and there are used carts available too.
I may be able to help build a ramp if you don't live too far from NJ! Let me know if you're in a pinch.
Rich
Jennie

Re: Would a cart help?

Post by Jennie »

Rich, At this point I don't think a cart would help. I may need to do that for him in the future....for now his biggest problem is the steps....but my friend's husband is going to make me a small ramp for bathroom trips outside for him. Any other info you can think of...please let me know. Thank you, Jennie
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Thank you for the imim address. I will try writing them for info and any assistance they can give. Thank you, Jennie
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I believe the dogs are called seizure control assistance animales. My spells are not exactally seizures...not really sure yet...still need some more testson my brain. My doctor seems to thunk they are spells of a kind of weekness do to the lack of oxygen, kind of like fainring....not a true seizure.....but it makes no difference. He is still signaling me.He goes crazy untill I stop what I am doing and sit down. And your right dogs with that ability are not any easy thing to come by. Jennie
Jennie

Re: Question

Post by Jennie »

Hi Carol, To answer your question about lifting....Yes I do have restrictions. I have fibromyalgia and can't lift. When I first got the pup I had every intention of training him to a harness to help me with balance. When he developrd his leg problem I had to scratch that plan of using him for an assistance dog. He could never take any weight on his back....I'll just continue to carry a cane on my bad days. Isn't it funny how life works out? I wanted him to help me with my disabilities and now I have to find a way to help him. A cart wouldn't do much good.....I have to get my friend's husband to make me a ramp for the back porch. He has a very hard time going down the steps to the bathroom. The back porch only has three steps, so a small ramp would fix that problem. I got him to help with balance....never in my wildest dreams did I imagine him to be unable to do that job....and then to start to signal when I get my blank spells. I'll just have to keep searching...please....anyone with any ideas let me know. Thank you, Jennie
Pavla

Post by Pavla »

Hi Jenny,
I think that Karens idea is perfect. Your story is really touching. I think if you contact any TV they are always attracted by touching stories - even more if they are so true as yours. I am sure after your asking for help through TV you will get many offers of help. I would certainly try it in your place.
Just be patient and do not do anything without being sure that it is the right decision. It was a right decision to ask for help and not to put him sleep - in my opinion.
Lot of good luck
Pavla
Jennie

Re: Dilemma, Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Thank You for the info. I looked up the sight and plan to send her an e-mail this afternoon. Hopefullyshe will be able to give me some good advice on alternate choices for Echo. Thanks Again. Jennie&Echo
Eileen

Re: Dilemma, Jennie

Post by Eileen »

Jennie, type in NEPTA for internet search; the founder of that rehabilitation center for animals started her program because of her dog who had same problem as yours; write to her and ask for some ideas too; she of all people will undertand your dilemma and pain with this decision; her dog was to have surgery and amazingly it was solved thorugh physical therapy and whatever else she will tell you. Give it a shot.