Dogs: PARALISED HIND LEGS TO TO DISC DAMAGE AND CONGENITAL D

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Hmm. *LINK*

Post by critters »

Have you considered a quad (4-wheeled) cart? Are you at all handy, or do you know somebody who is? You could try a PVC cart very easily and cheaply, and PVC is quite light. Homemade ideas are here. http://www.handicappedpets.com/HomemadeCarts.htm

http://www.handicappedpets.com/HomemadeCarts.htm
CarolC

CINDI---want to tell about OSCAR?

Post by CarolC »

Dear Naomi,

I know your dog is 13 years old, but do not give up on her. I had the same experience with my dog. She had a spinal fracture when she was about 9 and I took her for surgery and the vet mentioned that after surgery and a recovery period, she could go to rehab. But when I took her for evaluation the rehab clinic would not take her. However, when she was tested again 149 days later (almost 5 months after the injury) they discovered she had regained deep pain sensation (or so they said, I can't tell) and accepted her. Nerve injuries continue and continue and continue to heal, but they do it very, very, very slowly. You absolutely <i><b>cannot</i></b> judge what your dog will have a few months from now by what you see right now. Give it time. I agree a cart is a good idea, either 4-wheeled or counterbalanced. Don't give up. Most of us have no idea of the time frame involved in healing from back injury when we first get into this--I know I didn't. But every day, your dog is healing a tiny little bit more, even if she looks much the same.
naomi wall

Re: CINDI---want to tell about OSCAR?

Post by naomi wall »

Thjanls to al who have kept my hopes up for Lingling and who have been giving me advice. I am having a cart made for her by my handiman, it will be superlight.
Without all of your support and advice, I dont think I would have made it. Thanks you ever so much and will keep you informed.; Naomi
naomi wall

Re: Hmm.

Post by naomi wall »

Hi Critters, Just a short note this. I am excercising, ingling back legs a few times a day. She is still on prednasone and not moving her hind two legs at all. Even am hydrootherapy intub, but no results so far. Am in touch with Rich ( from website) who has offered to build her a super light cart., and is giving me a lot of suuport. He is so devoted to animals it seems/ Lingling is eating well and her bodily function are really. OK She is a real fighter, so I am wondering what you think about taking her to the University Of Pa, to the Vet. clinic? Please let me knpow your thought on that. Thanks to eerybody again. Naomi
naomi wall

Re: Dogs: PARALISED HIND LEGS TO TO DISC DAMAGE AND CONGENIT

Post by naomi wall »

Update on Lingling
Rejected by the physiotherapy dept in quakertown.
Rich got in touch with me about him building a cart for Lingling. Am meeting with him this coming weekend.
Lingling is losing bladder control, but still let you know when she is wet. She has in Piddle Pads, easy to change and clean and powder her.
It seems all very hopeles, but she is not giving up. She eats very well and is aware of things around her though she cannot see.
Is there any sense in taking her to University of Pa, Vet Hodpital. Vet here tells me she will not survive any procedure under anesthesia.
Help me decide, I relly don want her to suffer.
She does not move at all from her bed. It just seems so hopeless, I would give anything to make her feel better. Please help. Naomi
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

Why was she rejected for therapy? That seems odd to me. If she is happy, then I would definitely get her the wheelchair cart. Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much. A handicapped dog can really do well. It seems that they don't even realize that they are handicapped. It is the people who make such a fuss about it: the animals just keep on going forward! Good luck!

Paul
naomi

Post by naomi »

Hi Paul,
She was rejected to the Rehab inQuakertown,because, after examing her, she had no reflexes or feeling at all in her hind legs. So they sent her hom.
I am excercising her very often during the day and do hydrotherapy in the tub. But so far I dont see any imprevement. Now she has also lost control of her body function. It is so sad. But I am going to try the cart that Rich is going to make for her. However, she is blind so I DONT KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN. nAOMI
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

Loss of bodily functions is very comon in paralysis cases. Expressing a dog at first is a little tough, but once you get the hang of it you will wonder why you were worried at all. Remember, keep your attitude positive, and your dog will stay happy. Good luck!

Paul
naomi

Post by naomi »

TO EVERYBODY.

pLEASE DO LET ME KNOW OF A VET WHO DOES ACUPUNCTURE AND OR HOLISTIC MEDICINE FOR MY DOG LINGLING. I SAW IT SOMEWHERE ON THIS SIE. THIS DMV IS LOCATED IN YARDLEU PA. SHE IS THE SAME, HER BACK LEGS PARALISED AND [-HYSIOTHERAPY WAS REJECTED BY THE VET HOSP. IN QUAKERTOWN.
MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT. NAOMI
naomi

Post by naomi »

hi paul,,Well, today I took Lingling to another Vet she examined her for 3 hrs and found this out:
Lingling has Cushings Disease
She has no infedtion in her eyes, but Cataracts and extremely Dry Eyes.
She extracted quite a bit of urine and taught me how to do this. (which I just did for the first time very successfully.
She gave her Accu[puncture with electric stimulation/
The she did an adjustment to her spine. ( which I did not like)
I had so much faith in the other Vet and now this.
However, when I massaged her tonight, she seemed to give me a bit of resistance. Here the Vet said,that she feels deep pain, when she squeesed her pads.
We are taking her off the Prednasone, I hate this drug.
So I have a bit more hope now. Will keep you informed.
Naomi