problem kitten

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Stacy

problem kitten

Post by Stacy »

Hello, I have a 9mo old female kitty named Andie, she is wonderful. I rescued her at 6wks old from the local animal shelter, From the start all he did was scream, didnt want anyone coming near her, and was very SCARED. Now she is a love bug. (as I call her) But it seems from the beginning she has had runny stool. So I take her to the vet, who gives her medicine, and it stops for a while, but then continues, I am having doubts about my vet. I decided to switch her food, he told me not to, but I did anyways, well I went from Just plain purina Cat Chow to Petco Nutra Max natural adult cat food. She is fine it seems. But during all that medication she had begun to chew at her hair on the back of her legs. I put medicine on it, the vet told me to just use neosporin, I now have a lotion for fungas type injuries, but as it starts to grow back, she just chews it off, has anyone ever heard of this? She is totally balb on the back of her rear legs. She was beginning to get fuzz on both legs, (oh shes a white tabby mix also) but I got home from work yesterday to see that she did it again to one leg. She has never been outside. And I really wanted to get these problems straightened out before I had her spayed. She is the cutest sweetest thing, but I feel bad. I don't know if it is hurting her, or what, I do still put that liquid on her legs, it isnt working fast but it seems to work somewhat. She would eat the neosporin right off, so I stopped that, thinking it might now be good for her tummy. But her stool problems have been fixed. Now in that time she was messy, she would go anywhere, like she wouldnt be able to make it to the box, she has begun using it, but not all the time, I have read many websites on training them as an adult, but nothing is working. Any help would really be appreciated. She is just the sweetest thing. And I really don't know much about cats, she is my first one, and Im in my mid 20s. I was always allergic to them, but now I take medicine and I can snuggle all night long. One thing that might help explain some things about Andie, is she was found in a dumpster alone. No other cats around. I got her in Feb. And that is clearly not kitty season here. (nor. California) Maybe that is why she doesnt use a box, she eats anything she can get a hold of, almost like a little puppy. She doesnt care what it is, if its human food she tries to get it. I trained her using a squirt gun, and that seemed to help. I have come a long way with Andie Cat, but I just want to make sure she is ok. Thanks again..

Stacy
critters
Founding Member

Wow...where to start....

Post by critters »

Well, I crate her for the litter box retraining. Use a crate (wire or carrying kind, doesn't matter) just big enough for food, water, litter box, and a small space for her. If they HAVE to choose between peeing in their bed or peeing in the box, they usually make the right choice. After awhile of using it faithfully, she can earn her way out. If you don't choose to crate, you can reward her for using the box (with a treat or something) when you catch her in it, and it may help.

As for the hair loss, have they done a skin scraping for ringworm? Male kitties can get a hormonal baldness of the bottom half, but I don't know about females... Are you saying that the diarrhea is now gone? If so, I guess that rules out a food allergy/intolerance.
stacy

Re: Wow...where to start....

Post by stacy »

yes the diarrhea is gone, or so I thought, today I got home from work and she was in heat, which is lots of fun, for an inside cat, and I have dogs, she doesnt know the difference, she rubs all over them making her little call noises, at first it was a little funny, now its just sad. I want to get her fixed. She had all her shots at the shelter, and my vet hasnt given her anymore. Like I said I am losing faith in him. He is local and is said to specialize in cats. I dont think so. Its not about money, I want her better. But today when I was cleaning her box, as it was empty she climbed in there and went, no litter at all, she doesnt care. I tried crating her, I have a large crate and she just went everywhere. She has been going in her box more and more, but I have to clean it like 5times a day, and I switched her litter to arm and hammer, that seems to make her the happiest, before I just got the stuff at petco where you refill your containers, shes a picky little thing. The stuff I have for her skin is ResiCORT, it says its hydrocortizone, antipiritic, anti-inflammatory, for dogs and cats. That seems to work wonders, her legs arent red anymore, and seem to be white, they also have fuzzies all over it, just now the one side she pulls the hair right out, and it bleeds, can cats have nerve problems? Is it because of the doggies? they leave her alone, she runs the house. Im just at a loss. I would never get rid of an animal, even if its more work, I just want to make sure Andie is happy. Ok well any more help would really be appreciated thank you very much for all your help...

Stacy
Jan

Re: problem kitten

Post by Jan »

Stacy, Has Andie been treated for coccidea? Screening for the protozoan isn't easy, and it may be a shot in the dark, but you may want to treat her for it. The fecal float to test detects it one out of ten times from what I've heard. Bendy has used Baycox with very good results (I have some, but haven't tried it yet). Albon only 'stuns' the coccidea, whereas Baycox reportedly kills it. I'm not sure if your vet carries Amphoral, but I've had a lot of luck getting rid of the runs with that. It's a 3 day/3 dose treatment. I had a litter of kittens with non-stop diarrhea several years ago, and this stuff knocked it out.She may also possibly have giardea (another intestinal protozoan). Flagyl/metronidazole work for that one. Not sure how effective the test is for that one. As far as her leggies go, perhaps she has skin mites, though I would think it would affect her all over. It sounds like a calming thing for her, and maybe a light tranquilizer would help her. Often times the best cure for what ails a cat is another cat! Good luck!
stacy

Post by stacy »

Thank you very much. She is a happy kitty though. She cuddles and roams the house, which is VERY animal proof. At first I was affraid she had gotten into something, but rechecked all the areas, and there is no way she can get in them. I really have no idea. But I will call around and take her to a vet in the next area. That just might work.

Thanks for all your help...

Stacie
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Kitties can have "nerve problems," both problems with the nerves and emotional difficulties. There are calming meds that can be prescribed, if you wanted to try that. Maybe the crate was too big? Have you tried a self-scooping box, like LitterMaid? I'd get another opinion; there's SO MUCH going on with her that something could easily be missed. Sigh--I wish everybody else would get here for more opinions!!
sillyg

Re: problem kitten

Post by sillyg »

Re Baycox: DO NOT USE the pigeon formulation!!! It will burn mucus membranes without proper dilution because it's meant to be cut in water. ONLY USe THE PIGLET formulation available without prescription from Austrailia and Canada. Definitely do your research first!!!!!