Could Use Encouragement?

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
CarolC

Could Use Encouragement?

Post by CarolC »

We are 14 weeks and 2 days post spinal fusion for a chihuahua. We are doing the following: bicycling legs, scarf walking twice a day, tub therapy, and also standing exercises. She still has some strength in her legs but cannot stand or walk. She raises her feet like she's riding a little Harley when I express her. She can stretch and point her toes, and can raise her tail up and also wag it sideways. I know they say it may take 6 months, but I was thinking we'd see a glimmer by now. She is happy and comfortable and healthy otherwise. Has anyone had a dog who eventually was able to walk or stand or urinate independently, which didn't start to show signs before 14 weeks? Thanks.
Brek

Re: Could Use Encouragement?

Post by Brek »

Carol, what was your dogs injuries? What chance did the vet give you? I am looking for advice as I am getting ready to go through what you are going thorugh. Looking back do you feel you made the right decision? How difficult is it taking care of a crippled dog? Brek
critters
Founding Member

Healing can take a LONG time.

Post by critters »

I think jdf said he saw improvement in Roxy for at least a couple of years after her FCE. Your regimen sounds good; I can't think of anything else to add except time. :)
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

how about a physical therapy cart?

Post by Bendy Kitty »

a little cart (we made one from a child's toy for Mimosa) that would let her feet touch the ground, but support her body weight?
Then she could get around a little bit.
We looked in the children's toys section of wal-mart, found a toy car thign about the right size, and strapped Mimosa to it with vetwrap. She didn't like it much at first, but it helped. She coudl make it go just fine. the big challenge was securing her so she didn't pull herself off.

Kid John has had huge success with vitamen/suppliment therapies.

Is your girl on any kind of antiinflammatories? Often pressure from swelling can limit nerve function. A friend of ours took a *year* to regain function of one lung after an injury where a nerve swelled but wasn't actually damaged.

purrrrs your way

bendy
CarolC

Re: Could Use Encouragement?

Post by CarolC »

Brek, yes I feel I made the right decision for this individual case. I have cared for a crippled dog before, and am caring for a different one now, and the situations are very different. My old dog got hip displasia. He weighed 37 lbs., had a long silky coat, could pee voluntarily, but could not turn himself at will. If he soiled his bed, he would back into it trying to crawl away. He required baths and blow-drying for his long coat. I had to be home every few hours to turn him. I am average strength and he was about the limit I could manage. His bedding of thick blankets meant two full loads of laundry daily. I was lucky to have my own washer/dryer and live in a house with no steps. The dog I'm caring for now is easier. She weighs 7 lbs, has short hair, rarely soils her bed, can turn herself at will, and is expressed at 6am, 11am, 6pm, and 11pm. Her bedding is towels and laundry is every few days. If I bathe her, she can be towel dried. Lifting her is no strain. Her main injury was a spinal fracture. She had the draw-away reflex but no deep pain. The doctor said not to expect her to walk again, but that sometimes especially with small dogs, they can learn a type of reflex walking even with no deep pain. I believe she is going to gain some type of mobility with time. My goal for surgery was to save her life (she was a rescue) and that she live the rest of her life with no pain or minimal discomfort, and we have met that goal so I have no regrets. I hope she will walk again, but we are happy and having a good life now even when she cannot. I wish you well for your decision.