Hydrotherapy Help??

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Rajahs Mom

Hydrotherapy Help??

Post by Rajahs Mom »

Hello again everyone!! I need some ideas. Rajah (reminder: 100+ pound rear paralysis) hasn't made any progress but we have decided to put her in PT anyway. What can it hurt? She goes once a week and the therapist exercises her underwater. In the meantime, I am supposed to be exercising her underwater at home everyday. Here's my problem: The water has to be at least 19-20 inches and about 85-90 degrees for it to be beneficial. I tried my indoor jacuzzi but it's not tall enough. I have looked into outdoor spas but I think all the hair is gonna kill the filter constantly. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do so that she gets the most out of this program? Cost isn't a factor so any idea is a great one. Thanks
Pavla

Re: Hydrotherapy Help??

Post by Pavla »

I do not know where you come from and whether you have winter temparatures there. Someone on the board wrote of buying some kind of swimming pool for his dog but I do not know whether it could be heated.
I tried to make Sara swim in a larger bath tub but she did not like it at all and just wanted to escape. So we took her swimming every day into a lake. I hope you will find some solution.
Good luck
Pavla
critters
Founding Member

Not much help here,

Post by critters »

but some people have used horse rehab pool facilities or other such options. You might also talk to people who sell spas and see what they might suggest as far as options, filters, etc.

I know NOTHING about such things. :)
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Have you checked the web for rehab facilities close to you? I took my German Shepherd several hundred miles to a pool last winter and it did wonders. I boarded him there for about a month. He was completely paralyzed in the rear and incontinent. What happened to your Rajah?
SandyNY

can we come live with you?

Post by SandyNY »

I SOOOO want a therapy pool for the dogs ( and me too) I even got a video in the mail yesterday "endless pools" that I sent a way for so I can dream about my indoor therapy pool. There are pools you can purchase that go inside, above the ground. But if you have a therapist who has a therapy pool- can you get time in their pool? where you can come and do it yourself but in their facility? That would have to be easiest. Can post you some links if you are interested; also you can use extra or different filter systems. I used to do water aerobics and even taugh tit for a while so I can tell you all the benefits to water therapy over land!! If none of this is doable, I would think some simple range of motion, land exercises may be substitutable? better than nothing?!? Porky is thumping out in the other room - not sure what that means but I better go check! Will post links if you want later!!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Is your jacuzzi really not deep enough at all, or is the problem that you can only fill the water to a certain level before it starts running out an overflow port? With my tub, I had to unscrew the face plate of the overflow hole (that hole 3/4 way up the front of the tub) and reinstall it upside down so I could get another 2" of water in the tub for it to be deep enough for swimming. Is there something like that you could do with a jacuzzi?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I wish we were, but we're in Texas I'm afraid, but thanks for the offer. :) I'm encouraged by the fact that your dog was accepted for PT even though she wasn't walking yet (though its only been 7 weeks, right?). I'm going to ask again at the clinic here, and if they still seem to hesitate I'll try your reasoning on them: "What can it hurt?" Thank you! Best wishes to both you and Rajah.
Rajahs Mom

Post by Rajahs Mom »

Im so sorry about your furkid. Do you still live in Kansas? My husband is an electrician so if you need FREE wiring on that hot tub, you let me know :) Wal-Mart will deliver a hot tub to your door for $1998 (basic Im sure, but it would serve its purpose)but you have to order it from the website. Keep in touch. Despite their size, I bet our furkids have a lot in common.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ohmygosh! Please excuse this disjointed follow-up, but I need help on the same thing (chihuahua 16 weeks post-back surgery). Mine also is not showing any definite signs of walking, and we're already at 4 months. The hospital where she had her surgery provides therapy, but I don't know if they will do physical therapy for her or not. When I asked before they sort of put me off, but I'm ready to ask again. I read about how swimming helped the beagle named Murphy. Thursday I found a doggy life jacket in x-small so today I was out trying to find a way for her to swim. The spa store had spas starting at $3999 installed w/o electrical work. I asked about just a pool, and the guy said heaters start at $2500--might as well get the spa. He cautioned about dog hair (small concern in our case). Then I went out to the equine hospital behind the racetrack and learned they don't have a therapy pool, so we can't do that. Then I came home and tried her in the tub with the jacket and her little back legs did not kick when she paddled and she only wanted out. Did I hear somebody say that even if they panic in the tub, they might be OK in a lake, so maybe I shouldn't give up? Rajah's Mom, I used to live in Salina, and yes it's bitter cold in Kansas. Can you put her in a close-fitting nylon wet suit, or as someone said, change the filters every few days? Does she go out much--could you trim her? I have seen a stretchy nylon outfit somewhere recently and will try to find it again and post the link, but I'm so tired and disheartened when I put so much hope in this swimming idea I wanted to respond now. And if I feel that way being in the same situation with a small dog, I really respect your situation with a big one. I'm not going to give up, but it is mainly determination and stubborn persistence that's keeping me going right now. I want to be able to say I did everything and tried everything the very best we could, so I can look her in the eye for the next 10 or more years if she never does walk again. Oh dear.
Rajahs Mom

Post by Rajahs Mom »

We live in Kansas. Temperatures are extreme in my opinion. Very hot summers and frigid winters. The outdoor tub will work in summer, but winter is just too cold. Currently things are mild, but with Kansas weather it could change in a heartbeat!!!
Rajahs Mom

Post by Rajahs Mom »

Rajah fell in the backyard on Thanksgiving. Just a freak accident. Her spine hit a rock and she never moved again. I do drive her pretty far to a Physical Therapist once a week, but since I work I am looking for something I could do in the evening. Does your dog walk now?
Rajahs Mom

Sandy...how is your new addition doing?

Post by Rajahs Mom »

How is the diaper rash? Were you able to get it cleared up?
SandyNY

coming along good

Post by SandyNY »

we are working on the skin sores and skin ickies...(E-mailed you) but want everyone to know he is doing well and adjusting to the change in enviroment. Don't have a male- wrap yet for leaks but then he doesn't really seem to be leaking. Sometimes when I get the harness or a strap on and we start to head outside, he urinates a bit before we get outside. Don't know if the pressure of the strap or harness is causing this or just waiting, but it isn't all the time and it isn't much.