Know Any Games Suitable for a Paralyzed Pet?

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
CarolC

Know Any Games Suitable for a Paralyzed Pet?

Post by CarolC »

Tonight my little friend was on the carpet and I got silly down on my hands and knees, patting the floor first to the right of her then to the left. She went back and forth the opposite direction using her front feet, pivoting on her little bottom. It was really fun but I stopped because I didn't want her to get rug burns. How do you play with a paralyzed pet? Also, if she is interested in tugging games, like with a sock, should that be allowed 4 months after back surgery? We have't done any rough-housing at all until tonight. I'm still handling her like eggs.
critters
Founding Member

hmm

Post by critters »

4 months is a good bit of time, but mabe at least ask the doc on that. I'd say it might depend on the level of injury and what was done.

You might try having her play ball in a foyer or other smallish, hard area; the ball rebounds and is easier to play with.

SandyNY

As a matter of fact...

Post by SandyNY »

Today, I gave Porkchop a Molecuball with some dog food in it. He happened to be laying stretched out on the floor with a towel under his front feet. This had to be the best stretching exercises ever. The towel prevented the toy from going too far away when he pushed it, but it would get just almost out of reach so he had to stretch for it. (I have Molecuball and Buster Cubes for my other dog who loves to eat and had a lick granulomas problem) I think this one better for Porkie because the buster cube has too be rolled around a bit more to get the treats out.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: hmm

Post by Bobbie »

I play a game with one of my dogs (not paralyzed) where I try to grab his toes (front feet) and he pulls them back, at the same time he is tugging on a toy. Hard to describe, but it might work with your dog. Or try the old hide the bean game (three cups, put a treat under one, shuffle them fast while the dog watches, then see if she can find the treat. Or buzzy-bee- make a buzzing noise, move your hand in erratic patterns like a bee, and try to "sting" your dog on the nose while she tries to catch the "bee." (My first dog loved that game.) Or teach her "nose cookie"- biscuit on her nose, she throws it up and catches it. Let us know what works!