About crate rest and movement

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Debbie-Spain

About crate rest and movement

Post by Debbie-Spain »

More questions about Bombon, now at somewhere between 12 and 16 days post accident (several fractures, back legs paralysed). She is still at the clinic and she is crated. After the 2 daily acupuncture sessions they let her "run around" for about one minute. She "runs" until she finds Isabel, the vet tech who cares for her, feeds her, cleans her and cuddles her!
It really isn't long enough for her to get sores on her legs (I checked them) and at the clinic they are very aware that she has to be immobilised, I just wonder whether that little run around can do any physical damage? I think mentally it is good for her... and was surprised at how fast she moves with her front legs.
Debbie

critters
Founding Member

Awww! :)

Post by critters »

I doubt 1 min or so is enough to hurt her, and it sounds like it's really important to her. I'd say the known positives outweigh POSSIBLE negatives. She sounds happy!!
CarolC

Re: About crate rest and movement

Post by CarolC »

I think the crate rest is for more than just avoiding scrapes. It is to allow any swelling in/around the spinal cord to go down completely so function can return. I think it is safer to keep her activity to a minimum for 3 to 4 weeks. Since she has no deep pain she is probably unable to feel if she is aggravating her spinal injury by her activity. Could you ask the vet for clarification?
Debbie-Spain

Hmmm

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Well that's frustrating, cos I have all the settings on "Public, anybody can participate and view the group". It's important to me that people can come along and look around without having to be members!

Leave it with me and I will see what I can do, Sorry!

Debbie
critters
Founding Member

:( doesn't work...

Post by critters »

This is what I get...

This is a members-only area

You need to be a member of this group in order to gain access to this area.

Interested in Joining This Group?
Becoming a member will allow you to participate in all areas of this group. The group manager is now accepting membership applications.

Debbie-Spain

Re: Awww! :)

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Thanks Critters! Here's the video, especially for you! (and the others on the BB)

Go to this page:
http://groups.msn.com/ElClubdeKat/documentos.msnw
and click on the folder that says
Video Bombon perrita paralizada
It's yesterday's run, only 520 kb!

How could anybody want to put her to sleep?

Debbie
Debbie-Spain

Re: I joined...

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Oh, glad you could see it, scritters!! Yes, that is Isabel, her favourite vet tech.

I am half hoping Isabel won't be able to resist and when I go to bring Bombón home, she will say "No, I want to adopt her"!

But I don't think so somehow! :-)

Anyway, that is about half of the run around that they let her do and that slightly worries me in case it undoes anything that has been achieved by the previous hours of immobilisation (not very much being achieved at present though)

Debbie
critters
Founding Member

I joined...

Post by critters »

web-based, since my Spanish isn't that good, and the video showed fine. It didn't ask for a name and named me "scritters." Is the person in the green pants her favorite clinic caregiver that you were talking about?
critters
Founding Member

idea

Post by critters »

Maybe Mark would give you a page here?
Debbie-Spain

Re: I Can't get to her video

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Yes, sorry Sandy, I have the group settings so that any member of the public can come in and look around, and I think in Spain they can do that, but Critters had the same problem as you and had to join! So I don't quite know a way round it, unless you want to join, see the video and unjoin again. It's my group, so I promise no surprises or attempts to get your bank account number, LOL!

I'm just sorry I don't have another place to upload it so people can see it. Especially as sometime soon I hope to also take and upload a snippet of Felix, the no-deep-pain-response spinal cord injury cat who was up and walking between 3 to 4 weeks post accident! Basically for the vets who said he would never walk again and that it was unethical to keep him alive (but they will probably think I just substituted him with another black cat)

Debbie
SandyNY

I Can't get to her video

Post by SandyNY »

I get a MSN groups home page and try pasting the address into the search windows but still can't get anywheres - May be my ISP though; having troubles with it lately! *sigh* she sounds too cute! Glad they are trying to work with her!