My Baby Winni

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Nancy McClanahan

My Baby Winni

Post by Nancy McClanahan »

I have a 21 year old beagle who when she was about 3 got ran over by a moped and survived. Then when she was 5 her neck went out (they did major surgery and drilled out all of her vertebrae??) She then went through a stage where her hips went out. I mean literally she was dragging her hind end around. I was almost ready to put her down. Then she started walking again. Not like before, more like Frankenstein, but she wasn't in pain and she was happy. Now she has been attacked by a large (90#) dog and she won't move. I pinch her toes and she moves her legs and if I hold her head up, she'll eat and drink, which is what we are doing right now. But she is on her side and won't make an effort to move. I don't know if it's because of the pain in her neck from the bites or if she's afraid to move. When the attack happened I honestly thought she was dead. Then I realizied she was in shock and got her wrapped up in a blanket and kept her wrapped up in it all night. The next day she started "Bawling" (she's what the Beagle People tell me is a Bawl Mouth), after 21 years I realized this wasn't a Painful Yell, it was a "Hey, I want some attention" yell. I lifted up her head and shoulders and got her some water, then moved on to food. She ate the food, not to mention almost my fingers and the bowl. She is doing really well as far as her spirits and her appetite, however she still won't try to stand.
Okay, let's face it...this dog is 21 years Old. She was flung around like a rag doll and now she is still alive....What can I do to get her back on her feet....Does anybody out there have a little harness so I can get her upright again??? She'd love that. I do believe that she is enjoying being hand fed and watered, but I know that she is miserable laying on her side all the time.

We would really appreciate any ideas you can give us...Nancy and Winni (Winchester the Lemon Beagle)
CarolC

Re: My Baby Winni

Post by CarolC »

Ohmygosh Nancy, I'm just so amazed at what all your dog has been through! I have a chihuahua who was found injured suffering from a spinal fracture and when they shaved her back for surgery they found a row of old suture marks across her shoulders which they guessed came from a dog attack. Obviously, she must have recovered from it! I'm thinking short-term right now. I'm wondering if you took Winni to the vet? If not, it would be helpful because the vet can start treatment with an anti-inflammatory to get the swelling down around her injury, and the sooner the better. (Not to mention antibiotics?) I would get right on the phone and call them. Super that Winni is eating--what about urinating? Is she urinating? Also, I wouldn't be in a hurry to use a sling with Winni, though you may want to think about that later. I wouldn't try to get her on her feet yet. I would let her rest and wait and see what happens as the swelling subsides. I had a 37 lb senior dog who couldn't walk, and I used to carry him to the vet on a pallet of blankets. Do you think you can manage Winni that way? I'm glad she has sensation in her toes, but I'd still get her in to see the vet ASAP. I don't blame her for wanting to be babied--she's perfectly within her rights, the old dear! :)
Laureen

Post by Laureen »

Hi Nancy,

I love beagles. Especially the lemon ones. Oh, and how they love to Roo. Get a nice soft blankie for her and crumple it together. Make sure your scent gets on it. Maybe get her a special pillow to keep that head up a bit. Keep those wounds clean and get her to the vet. If she gets some help maybe she will feel better to try standing. She sounds like a tough cookie. Baby her because she needs it. Maybe even try reading to her. Sometimes they like to hear your voice and have you near. I swear sometimes they understand tones and key phrases. Leave nice music or a radio talk show on for her too. I know that these suggestions are a bit extreme. However, your dog sounds like it loves attention. She deserves it. Give her time. She wants to be here if she is eating and drinking. She just needs time to work on that fear. I don't know much about the medical needs of problem dogs yet. Mine was just injured today. What I do know is just keep giving that TLC lifeline. I initially adopted a difficult dog. Some of these things I did really helped us bond. From a psychological standpoint - give it a try. Post me sometime and let me know how your Winchester is doing. I used to own a beagle. My father used to raise them. It is amazing how long your beagle has lasted because under normal circumstances they rarely last 21 years. Your dog must love you a great deal and you her. Sorry to be so mushy. Hope to hear from you soon. Laureen
CarolC

Transporting

Post by CarolC »

I agree with Sandy, the board sounds like a good idea if you haven't gone to the vet yet. You can slide it under her blanket. If you're not sure how to tie her, lay a towel over her and strap her in good and tight with duct tape. This is a very good way to ensure that she is properly immobilized for transit. Would you please report back on how she is when you learn more? Thanks.
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

If she has deep puncture wounds, I would ultimately also be concerned about infection. With bite wounds; saliva, dirt and all sorts of nasties get inside of her where they shouldn't be.You say she was thrashed about; this would result in after-pain and stiffness and inflamation. ( Have you ever been in a fender bender or near-car accident?? You are fine afterwords, but later that night or the next day is when you feel the aches.) She obviously is suffering to some degree as she doesn't get up and move about by herself. Even enjoying the hand feeding and sympathy, she would get up and move about on her own if she could. I would be very careful in moving her, as you don't know what is injured, broken or bruised for sure. I agree with Carol that I wouldn't be trying to stand her or move her too much right now. I also agree that her chances and her comfort are going to be greatly enhanced if you take her to a vet. I am trying to think of anything that would help home remedy type... I would wash the wounds with an antiseptic skin cleanser. I have a book "Home Remedies for Dogs" it says a bright red blood pouring from an injury is probably an artery. Darker red, slower bleeding could be a smaller vein. It recommends direct pressure and a trip to the vet asap. It also has a part about broken bones and if a dog is limping it could be a broken bone; moving can easily make this into a compound fracture. For a dog that appears paralyzed or has stiff legs, it says to only move him onto a stretcher because you are possibly dealing with spinal cord injury. Tie him onto the board to transport to the doctor.
As this dog has proven to you in the past, sometimes when you think she is too old or injured, she has more life to live; so maybe you don't want to give up on her just because of her age.