Baby Winni the Wonder Dog

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Nancy McClanahan

Baby Winni the Wonder Dog

Post by Nancy McClanahan »

Hey all, as of last Friday, Winni is sitting up. She's now eating on her own out of a bowl a mixture of smushed up ProPlan Adult and Iams Puppy food. I was given a 20# bag of Iams puppy when we got Riley as a Christmas gift and Riley hates it. He likes the ProPlan puppy. Probably because it's the same smell as the ProPlan adult that his big sister eats. She is lounging on a big fluffy blanket with another smaller one folded over as a pillow which she loves. We got her piddle pads which she hates. Actually she hates the fact that she has to "go" in the house. She and her big sister Sam are extremely housebroken. They would die before going in the house. Well, I had to explain to Win that she's going to have to go in the house now on the piddle pads. But let me tell you, when she "goes" on those things she is more than happy to let me know. She has enough upper body strength (this surprises me since it was her neck that was grabbed) that she drags herself away from the pads after she has pottied. Even after she is off of them she starts her "war whooping" to let me know that it's soiled. She has been working her back legs, but I leave her alone. She knows her limits and her strength so I'm not going to push it. She gets baths either every day or every other day and I let her bob around in the warm water and work her back legs (while supporting her). Everybody tells me to put her down and I tell them to take a hike. She wants to live. She's not in pain and she's staying around until she tells me when it's time to go. I've been through the hips down, dragging herself around before and she got up and walked on her own. I'll stick it out again this time. She is back to her old self. And brother Riley who for the longest time would just lay next to her is now tormenting her again. I think that's why she is hanging on. One of these days she'll get up and kick his butt. He was tormenting her the other day and she nailed him on the nose. She didn't break the skin but my God the way he screamed you would have thought that she had peeled the hide off his nose. He ran to me screaming and whimpering and was incredibly hurt. A few minutes later he went back over and licked her face as if to say, I forgive you and I'm sorry I'm such a brat. It has really helped my spirits watching him and Sam with Winni. Sam goes over and worries all over her and Riley torments her for a few minutes and then loves on her. They really care about her.
Could someone please tell me how to attach a picture? I'd like to send one of Winni sitting up and if I can ever catch the little Brat laying down with her I'd like to send it too. He can be sound asleep and even tho I'm guiet as a mouse as soon as I get ready to snap a picture he's awake and gone. He and Sam are both camera shy.
Well, going to go. Gotta go open the doggie kitchen and get Winni's food ready for her. It's about time to eat.
Thanks to all of you for your prayers and thoughts during this time......Nancy, Winni, Sammy Jo and Riley
critters
Founding Member

pics

Post by critters »

LOL--Sounds like they're quite happy with themselves!

As for pics, they have to be hosted online somewhere. You can send them to markr@handicappedpets.com, and Mark will put them in the Gallery. He'll send you the pic's address, which you can then put in the "optional image URL" box when you post. That's it.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Baby Winni the Wonder Dog

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Just a thought: When St. Jude was down to one leg, me dragging him (and he let me drag him outside to do business) and I had to do therapy on rear legs (which scared me to death) I had brainstorm, let him do it himself, I would hit his tickle spot on tummy and that leg would pump all by itself, rather than me pulling, pushing and possibly hurting him (and he hated therapy like that) He is up on all four now, and three are working alright, two quite well indeed. He's a happy fellow and runs like the wind (even though I know it must hurt, he has a high tolerance). Maybe this will help Winni the WonderDog when it's time. Best of luck to you all - you sound so happy!
Karen ANderson
SandyNY

Encouraging news!

Post by SandyNY »

Glad to hear Win is feeling so much better! Keep up the good work and keep us updated when you can. She is a strong gal, she will probably outlive us all!
CarolC

Treated With the Dignity and Love She Deserves

Post by CarolC »

Dear Nancy, You have helped her to a new lease on life. I bet she's very pleased to be sitting up. Please give her and Sam (and Riley if he's good) a snuggle for me!
Nancy McClanahan

Re: Treated With the Dignity and Love She Deserves

Riley has been both a Brat and a Lover with her. And Thank you!! I have so much wonderful news. Today (Since we are in Indiana) it was beautiful (almost 60) and I decided to take Winni outside so she could enjoy the weather. I had a whole bunch of stuff I had to haul out to the alley for trash pickup. (They are doing the "BIG Haul" this month) So I took a blanket out and took her out and put her on it and just let her do her thing. She loved it!! Then on my third trip back into the yard I saw that she had left the blanket AND WAS STANDING UP about 3'away from it by the grill. I hurried up and went into the house and got my camera. She continued to walk around on our patio until she got to the back steps. I guess she was done with the great outdoors and wanted to go back inside. Which I promptly took her in and put her back on her bed. She is now snoozing comfortably. Of course Riley had to go check on her and bother her for a minute but now he is snoozing right next to her.
I'm sorry to be so long winded....But the fact that she got up and walked on her own is a miracle to me and an inspiration!!!! I truly believe that she's here for the long haul and I will help her all I can to make sure she stays with me. Like I said in my first post...this dog has been through #### and back and she's still kicking....there's a reason and she has inspired me.
I'll get with Mark when I can and figure out how to post pix of her progress.....BUT IN THE MEANTIME....

THANX TO ALL WHO HAVE POSTED ON WINNI....You have all been an inspiration and a BIG HELP in our time of need. And Winni sends her LOVE to you ALL...especially CarolC and Critters...who we will miss
Nancy McClanahan

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I called a friend that day when she got up and walked and I'm sure my friend thought I had gone completely mad. She answered the phone and I was screaming "She's walking". My husband came home a few minutes later and I threw the digital camera at him and said LOOK!!! She's walking!!!!! He didn't believe me at first and thought that I had Helped her, but later on about and hour later, Winni proved him wrong. He and I both were sitting in front of our computers and all of a sudden she WALKED Up to him. He almost fell out of his chair.
Now I have to go into work Wednesday night and jump all over my boss who jumped all over me because I didn't put her down "Just because she couldn't walk". I know where he is coming from, he's a man (sorry guys) and he doesn't know my Winni. He just assumed that because she wasn't walking that she was miserable and in pain. NOT SO!!!!
I have got to figure out how to get pix on this page so you and all the others can see her. Like I've said before, she aint the prettiest beagle, but then again she's 21. And she's still with me...And to that I THANK ALL ON THIS BOARD and GOD for helping me keep her.

Gotta go, she's heading for the back door, yes she's walking to the back door. Her "Housebroke" memories are kickin in......God Love Her and So Do I.....Nancy and Winni
Annie

Post by Annie »

That is FANTASTIC news!!! You must be absolutley thrilled! I remember the day Bailey took her first steps like it was yesterday. My husband and I were jumping up and down, clapping, yelling, high fiving! She must have thought we were out of our minds! I have been following Winni's story and she certainly is an inspiration. She has a very strong spirit and is so very lucky to have you. Keep up all that you do and all the best to you and your baby Winni.
Annie
CarolC

Uhhh....Nancy?

Post by CarolC »

I think I should warn you about something...about those guys at work? You do know who they're going to come to next time their dog is sick...don't you??? ;) I would love to see pictures of Winchester the Lemon Beagle McClanahan, whose best friend in the world is named Nancy. Best wishes to both of you!