What can you give a dog for pain?

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Ina Forbus

What can you give a dog for pain?

Post by Ina Forbus »

I was wondering what you can give a dog for pain and what the dosages are?My dog is a german shepherd weighs 88 pounds before accident.Thanks
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: What can you give a dog for pain?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Hi! Was just talking about this and got some great advice! Scroll down to joint pain in large dogs. Best, Karen
CarolC

Didn't the vet give you anything for him?

Post by CarolC »

My dog was on Torbugesic after she came home. She was taking pain medicine for over 3 weeks. If you ask the vet, maybe they will prescibe something for him. I know if I had a broken pelvis, I would want pain medicine and I would expect the doctor to give me some. I've heard that some vets don't like to prescribe much pain medication because if the pet feels better he may be encouraged to move around too much. I was lucky my vet didn't feel that way. However, I had orders to make my dog rest inside a crate for 4 weeks, so she wasn't going to move around anyway. If you call the vet tomorrow and ask for some pain medicine, you might also ask if giving your dog steroids for a while longer would help. By the way, pain medicine like Torbugesic can cause constipation, and steroids like Prednisone can increase urination, just so you know. It sounds like you have him home now? I bet he's so glad and relieved to be back where he belongs! Best wishes to you and him.
Ina Forbus

Re: Didn't the vet give you anything for him?

Post by Ina Forbus »

Yes he is home finally!!I asked them about pain meds and steroids they refused to give him any.We are going to visit another vet anyway that wants to work with the leg before they recommend cutting it off.Zeus is VERY happy to be home,and I am keeping him confined so he cant move around to much.(He doesnt act like he wants to move too much anyway)I will keep you updated..Ina
tammy

Re: what can you give a dog for pain?

Post by tammy »

Rimadyl is great for pain in dogs and so is Cosequin. Cosequin can be bought anywhere, but Rimadyl has to be perscribed by a vet. I have my oldest male on rimadyl for arthritis in his knees, he is 10 years old, and it really helps him.