Liver failure?

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Liver failure?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Well, we are in day 8 of no food. I have tried everything. I haven't started the syringe feeding because I do not want to torture Starr any more. Tried this am to do the SubQ and after stabbing at her 3 times unsuccessfully I stopped trying. I was rubbing cat food on her last night because she used to be fastidiously clean and she did clean it off, but again, I am simply prolonging this torture. There is a special place for people who torture animals, and I am afraid I'm guilty. Starr does NOT deserve this. She has always been brilliant, amusing, indpendent, loving and true. She is frail, weak, emaciated unhappy and very very uncomfortable. This aint living this aint life. I guess she must be in liver failure by now? I hate this !
CarolC

One small stick for hours of comfort

Post by CarolC »

Hi Karen, You are being asked to do two contradictory things at once. Your instinct is to give her emotional support, which is gentle. But you also need to give her physical support in the form of fluids, which takes tough love. It's like you have to be two persons at once. I think all you can do is separate your morning into boxes. Set aside thirty minutes, have a good strong cup of coffee or tea, go in there with determination and give her those fluids. After she's hooked up, you can pet her and talk to her and be gentle again. Repeat: One small stick for hours of comfort. One small stick for hours of comfort. Remember that the skin on the back of her neck and shoulders is leathery and not that sensitive. Nature made her that way. However, dehydration is felt in every cell of the body, including the heart. Remember how her breathing improved after the first fluid pack? With dehydration the tissues shrink, the heart valves don't close properly, the blood doesn't pump through the body properly, and she must gasp for breath. She will be less uncomfortable when you give her fluids. Remember how much better she was after you gave her the first fluid pack? That is the gift you can give her. I would go get the fluids, hug them to my chest for 10 minutes to warm them up a little bit, then tell her "This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you" and do it. You shouldn't need to wrap her. Just go to where she is, lift her skin, roll it between your fingers for a second, and hook her up. Then pet her and talk to her till she's done. It'll be OK. You can do it.
CarolC

Slanted side up

Post by CarolC »

Hi Karen,

The other website I gave a few days ago didn't show how to hold the needle. This one does. See how the slanted side is up? If you were trying it slanted side down, that may be why you tried to poking 3 times and no luck. With the slanted side up, the point is in contact with the skin and it goes right in. Hang in there! With all your involvement with animals, knowing how to do this may come in handy again some day!

Another website about giving fluids
Alisa G

Re: Liver failure?

Post by Alisa G »

I wish I could help--have never done fluids myself. Have you thought about a feeding tube? I have done a few feeding tubes--they aren't as bad as tthey look. You can get food,medicine,water,etc down them. That would help fend off hepatic lipidosis from not eating. The only draw back is that she would have to be sedated to have the tube put in. Let me know if you have any questions about the feeding tube thing.

The suppliment Milk Thistle is supposed to support thr liver--don't know the dosage though.

Have you tried appetite stimulants?
Wish I could be of more help.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

B-complex shots

Post by Bendy Kitty »

we have used these for cats who were seemingly at death's door and had GREAT results.
it is a huge pick-me-up for the cat.
She will still need fluids, and we agree with CarolC's meathod!! a few minutes of work gives hours of comfort.
Force feeding is hard, but neccessary. Even if you only get a little into her it is better than none.

Signs of liver failure are a yellow tinge in the ears & palette, this gets stronger as the liver becomes more damaged.

I think you need to have a consult with your vet about what you can and cannot do. Perhaps it would be best for the vet to administer the fluids & force feed.

good luck in whatever decision you make

Bendy Kitty
Sandy S

Post by Sandy S »

My information is probably too late to help Karen, but I hope there are others who will find it useful. The technique is the same as injecting insulin, using your thumb and index finger gently pinch the skin together, which will form a pocket between skin and muscle, insert the needle into the pocket and release the pinched skin. When all of the fluid has been administered and the needle has been withdrawn, gently massage the injection site. It is also helpful to visualize a grid, to avoid using the same injection site too often.
Sandy S

Post by Sandy S »

My information is probably too late to help Karen, but I hope there are others who will find it useful. The technique is the same as injecting insulin, using your thumb and index finger gently pinch the skin together, which will form a pocket between skin and muscle, insert the needle into the pocket and release the pinched skin. When all of the fluid has been administered and the needle has been withdrawn, gently massage the injection site. It is also helpful to visualize a grid, to avoid using the same injection site too often.