Carol--litter box info

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Alisa G

Carol--litter box info

Post by Alisa G »

Carol--I noteced something that you designed a litter box. Could you tell me more?? My CH kitty Ruby has some issues.

I have even bought an extra large rubbermaid container that I cut a huge,low hole in the side for her. She still doesn't use it regularly. She has a hard time "stepping" over the edges so I thought the rubbermaid thing would work. She also has terrible balance.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
critters
Founding Member

Also see what FlyerFly posted below, probably a page or 2

Post by critters »

back, about the adapted litter box he made for Alex. He had nice pics and the works.
CarolC

Here's the scoop

Post by CarolC »

Hi Alisa, I'm trying to figure out what a CH kitty would be? The litterbox is very simple. It consists of a larger than average litterbox with one low side, designed for puppy training. There is a large kennel cushion that tucks under the lip of the low entrance, like a soft doormat. The cushion is only about 2" high, so the kitty can easily pull himself smoothly up onto the cushion, at which point he is on a level with the low entrance. You would fill the litter to the level of the entrance, too. That way cushion, lip, and litter are all the same level. He can slide over the rounded low entrance into the litter, have plenty of room to turn around even if paralyzed and dragging the hindquarters, and then exit by stepping out onto the cushion again. The cushion is washable, but you can also put a pillowcase over it because it's about the width of a pillow even though it is thinner. Any cat who can get walk or drag himself onto a 2" thick cushion can get into this box.

I would love, no, make that *adore* to send you one. The set-up doesn't cost much and it would be free--it would be a gift to your kitty and she wouldn't owe me anything. Even if she doesn't like it, that's OK. Cats have a right to their opinions. :) In that case, you could take it to Goodwill or convert it to a cat bed or whatever, no problem. The only thing I ask is if you would report back how it worked or didn't work. If you'd like Ruby to have one, just say the word and I can send you my email address off the board as I'll need your mailing address. If you prefer to keep your privacy, MarkR or somebody from HandicappedPets might be able to help out. Hope the answer is "Yes"! Best wishes to you.
CarolC

See RE: AN UPDATE ON ALEX P. KITTEN posted 5/2/04 nm

Post by CarolC »

nm
The FlyerFly

heres the pic, in case the post wasnt available...

Post by The FlyerFly »

sorry...havent been here in a couple days. :)

heres the picture of the box i made. its pretty simple, really. its made with a lid from a rubbermaid tote and mudflaps.

email me if you have any questions about it. id be happy to help!

The FlyerFly