Help Needed: Paralyzed Cat

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Nola

Help Needed: Paralyzed Cat

Post by Nola »

Hello. I recently adopted a paraplegic cat from the local animal shelter. Due to a freak accident she also had to have one of her rear legs amputated. I am going to order her a cart from Eddies Wheels to increase her mobility but was hoping to get some advice as to how to best handle the incontinence in order to avoid urine scalding in particular. So far I've been cleaning her regularly, changing bedding frequently and using AD oinment but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Doggie diapers? Her name is Ariel and she is a sweet affectionate cat, not to mention a true survivor! Thank you! Nola
critters
Founding Member

Bendy, Alisa, and Debbie_Spain needed here! *LINK*

Post by critters »

Alisa G's Trixie wears Pampers size 1; the secret is to use Onesies or suspenders of some sort to keep them on.

Alisa or Bendy also found a 3M skin barrier spray, Cavilon, which is intended for humans with ostomies and the like. When dry, it keeps poop and pee from touching the skin, and CarolC found that it's now widely available as the new 3M first aid spray.

You might also consider learning to express her, so that she could be emptied fully and on a schedule. I'm sure CarolC will help with the expressing info on the bb, but here's one link. http://www.k9carts.com/nursing_care.htm See under "bladder care."

Trixie's link: http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/trixie

Good luck, thanks for taking her in, and be sure to come by for at least several days since not everybody comes by every day!

link
Stacey

Re: Help Needed: Paralyzed Cat

Post by Stacey »

I too have a paralyzed cat (he was shot in the spine). I express his bladder 2 to 3 times daily, he does not leak very much in between so cleaning him is much easier. Your vet can show you how to do it, it gets much easier with practice and time! I found cat diapers on e-bay, they are made of cloth, fit well and only require a women's panty liner. They help with the leaking but I don't keep him in them all day. Another big help is Super Sized Underpads (bed protectors for people) found at WalMart-near the Depends products. I place one on his bed and put a towel over it, it makes clean up much eaiser, just toss the Underpad and wash the towel. As for the poop, he just goes when he has to and we clean it up! Canned food and Lactulose helps keep him from becoming constipated (very hard to express him when he is!) We give "butt" baths when needed and use a little A&D in between. You are a wonderful person for taking on such a special animal! Good luck to you! It gets much easier over time so hang in there!
Alisa G

Post by Alisa G »

I honestly haven't had trouble with the urine scald since we first got Trixie.
The 3M spray worked to clear it up.

Trixie is in her diaper 24 hours a day. I use alcohol free baby wipes to clean her, use AD diaper rash cream, and Pampers size one. Her legs stay bent at the hips so we don't have trouble keeping them on.

Trixie is prone to bladder infections. I would recommend doing periodic urinalysis to make sure there are no bladder infections. I do not express Trixie's bladder. I found that the cat diapers and Piddle Pants didn't work for us. Trixie would wet right through them. They weren't absorbant enough for us.
CarolC

Trixie's Website *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Click the link below to see Alisa's super website on Trixie.

CLICK HERE to see Trixie the Handicat
CarolC

Oops!

Post by CarolC »

Critters gave that website 2 days ago--sorry!
Robin

Post by Robin »

My paralyzed cat is a long hair, so I have found that it greatly helps with cleanup and scalding if I shave his rear end and tail with a man's beardtrimmer. I was having a problem with his diapers falling but found that when I made him some suspenders at home, they worked great.
CarolC

Keeping diapers on a cat *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Robin et al,

Have you see the type of kitty pants with suspenders recommended by Cat Fancy magazine? They're called Joybies. Click the link at the end of this message to see them.

CLICK HERE for Joybies Piddle Pants for Cats
Originally posted by Debb

DIY Kitty Stud Overalls *LINK*

Post by Originally posted by Debb »

If you click the link at the end of this message, there is a website with patterns and instructions for making your own kitty stud overalls that stay on.

CLICK HERE to make kitty pants that stay on
Nola

Re: Bendy, Alisa, and Debbie_Spain needed here!

Post by Nola »

Thank you all for responding to my inquiry re: Ariel, my paralyzed cat. I appreciate each one and am instituting many of your suggestions. Hopefully down the line I'll be able to get a photo of her on-line. She's a beautiful white/blue-eyed cat and as she's only around two years of age I'm hoping I'll have her as a companion for many years to come thanks to all of you! Nola