News: New arrival sleeping by my feet

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
CarolC

News: New arrival sleeping by my feet

Post by CarolC »

A very senior 11-lb. copper colored dachshund with a white muzzle. She was left tied to a tree in the middle of nowhere, found, and taken to a shelter. She had an umbilical hernia repaired and was treated for a terrible flea infestation. Her hair is starting to grow back (looks to be long where she has some), her skin is flakey-healing, her teeth aren't good. She walks with a slight limp and wags her tail well but only at half-mast. Also an odd coughing-wheezing breathing problem at times. Heartworm negative. Bless her little heart, I think she's housetrained. Ate her dinner with relish. Need to get a ramp to the sunporch because I don't want her jumping down the 6" drop, and it's better not to lift her 8 times daily. Have to watch because she gets underfoot and can't dodge my feet very well. Thursday will be a good scrubby bath with skin shampoo and a thorough vet check. Welcome, Matilda. The house is cozier with your here.
critters
Founding Member

Congratulations!

Post by critters »

Sounds like you have some work to do, but she also sounds great! I'm glad she's HW-; that was my first thought when you mentioned a cough.
CarolC

Ditto

Post by CarolC »

It was my first thought, too, and I do want to recheck her in a few months. On Thursday I'm going to ask if they could check her windpipe. If you were left tied to a tree in the middle of nowhere, wouldn't you pull for all you were worth?
Shannon

Re: News: New arrival sleeping by my feet

Post by Shannon »

Hi Carol,
Congrats on your new addition to the family. You are an angel!!!!!! Matilda is lucky to have you for a mom!

Take care,
Shannon
critters
Founding Member

Re: Ditto

Post by critters »

Another thought, besides yours, is LP--larangeal paralysis. That one seems to be tough to diagnose, a sort of exclude-all-others diagnosis, I think.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Matilda! I used to bathe Allix in oatmeal shampoo (for dogs) because her skins was so sensitive. It soothed her. There are also tar shampoos out there for dogs with skin problems. (My son was on one as a child...not the dog version-woof) Poor poor Matilda to have suffered for who knows how long? And Bless You for giving her life so much love and meaning! Matilda - that just makes me smile! Gabriel sleeps next to my head, as my foot position is taken up by 67 lb AmbrrNanaDog. Matilda! I am so happy for you both. Karen & Krew
SandyNY

Re: Congrads!

Post by SandyNY »

Did you have her checked for kennel cough?
Do you think she was a breeder? Glad you are happy with providing her a safe haven. let us know how she is doing.
Pam (Riley's mom)

Post by Pam (Riley's mom) »

Hi, what kind of oatmeal shampoo did you use?
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Oatmeal Shampoo

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

There are several out there, as I look at my www.omahavaccine.com catalog, pgs.56, 58, Francodex makes a couple of oatmeal products, Tomlyn makes a coal tar, Lambert Kay makes an oatmeal. But I bought one at Walmart, so it was probably a Hartz or something product. With all the hoopla about the toxicity of the 4-way flea meds, I do not use that brand any more. You can find it at Petsmart also. It works!
CarolC

Cough may be explained

Post by CarolC »

Came home at lunch today and found a small plastic object like the pull on a mini-blinds cord with tooth marks all over it on the floor. Whatever it is, it's not from here. She was at the shelter for 31 days, 30 of them in the hospital area. They looked at her teeth. They did surgery for an umbilical hernia. The shelter helper warned me to be careful not to let her pull on the lead because she chokes. So she had this stuck in her throat? For how long?? Am waiting to see if the cough is gone. Will buy proper chew toys and Nylabone.
critters
Founding Member

Weird!!

Post by critters »

Don't forget to get a Kong.
Sheri

Post by Sheri »

She is so lucky! She has got the best care around. Good luck!