Other Paralysis of the Rear Legs

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Karen Augello

Other Paralysis of the Rear Legs

Post by Karen Augello »

Hello, I was looking for information about living with a dog who, due to spinal injury, is paralyzed from mid-back down. She is a chihuahua mix. I am looking for a diaper that will help with bowel movements. We have to express her urine so that is a non-issue right now. However, my vet has advised that many of these dogs suffer from Urinary Tract infections. I am looking for advise to minimize or stop this from happening. We are adjusting to the shock of everything and are hoping to keep her healthy and happy. Thank you.
Karen in New York
CarolC

Re: Other Paralysis of the Rear Legs *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Karen,

I have a 7-lb. reindeer chihuahua (white with fawn markings) who also has rear-end paralysis due to a spinal fracture mid-back. She has a spinal fusion. I do not use diapers with her because I express her bowel as well as her bladder. If I don't express her bowel, she doesn't have movements often enough and her stools get too big for someone her size. I give her a laxative called Lactulose twice a week to keep her regular.

I have some questions for you and would like to tell you a lot about my dog, but unfortunately I have another commitment tonight, so will have to be shorter than I'd like. My dog was injured Septmeber 23, 2003. If you have any questions whatsoever, I would be glad to give as complete an answer as possible to anything you can think to ask.

On the diapers, people have used Pampers or Huggies. I used Huggies with my rabbit and put them on backward with the tapes to the back. You just cut a hole for the tail approximately on the fold where the diaper is folded when it comes out of the package. I also found it was nice to trim away the excess fringe of paper they put on the borders of the legs and waist, since I was dealing with a small animal and it was much neater that way.

If she doesn't keep them on, I will put a link at the end of this message for you to look at some cute diapers with suspenders that will stay on.

When and how did your dog get hurt, did she have surgery, and very important: is she on crate rest and steroids?

CLICK HERE for diapers that stay on
CarolC

Expressing

Post by CarolC »

Hi Karen,

Would you please describe how you are expressing her--what position, how many hands you use, etc.? If I can't check back tonight, I don't have to work till noon tomorrow so I can respond in detail tomorrow morning. Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

diapers

Post by critters »

Onesies always working for my diaper-butt, but someone else modified that to be turtle-neck Onesies with the sleeves cut out so a paraplegic critter doesn't slide out the neck hole.

If you use diapers, you might want to use Cavilon spray, a skin barrier, along with keeping the hair shaved or trimmed closely. The same stuff as Cavilon is now widely available as the "new" 3M first aid spray; it will keep poop and pee from directly contacting her skin.

Good luck, and stick around; I think you'll get LOTS of responses, but not everybody comes by every day.
janie vankleek

Re: Other Paralysis of the Rear Legs

Post by janie vankleek »

I have a 4 yr old dachshund that is also paralyzed in hind qtrs. I too have to manually express his bladder, i have the same problem in wanting to know what can be done to fight off any UTI's. Please let me know what you find out thanks Janie
CarolC

UTIs in dachshund - Anita are you around? *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Janie,

Do you know about a super website called DodgersList? I will put a link to it at the bottom of this message so you can see it. It is especially for people who have dachshunds with back problems. One of the people on this message board, Anita, has a dachshund and who was Story of the Month on DodgersList recently. She has lots of information on fighting UTIs. I don't know if she's been around during the past couple of days--hopefully she will come by soon.

How long has your dog been paralyzed? When was his accident? Did he have surgery? Several of us here can give you lots of information on expressing. How often do you express him every day? Is he easy to express? Do you think you are getting him empty?

CLICK HERE to see DodgersList
CarolC

Re: UTIs in dachshund - Anita are you around? *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Janie,

At the end of this message is another link to DodgersList. This link takes you straight to the Story of the Month about Anita's dog, Sydney.

CLICK HERE to see Anita's dachshund
paula

Re: Other Paralysis of the Rear Legs

Post by paula »

Karen:

I am new to this site and reading through the messages. I have an older beagle who is paralyzed from the waist down. I use doggie wraps available from Dr.'s Foster and Smith and reinforce the padding with a baby diaper that has been cut in half and placed lengthwise in the wrap. It works well, rarely are there any leaks. Hope this helps. paula