Amputation cat, rear leg

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
DawnHolt

Amputation cat, rear leg

Post by DawnHolt »

Hi there. I've just come across this website and am very thankful that it exists. My 16 year old cat had her rear leg amputated 6 days ago and has been home with us for the past 3 days. My vet is closed for the holiday and I'm hoping that someone on this forum will be able to give an opinion on this: Susiecat's pain patch was removed yesterday and our vet told us that she would be up walking around. this hasn't happened; in fact she is unable to use her litter pad and just lying in the pan, in her own waste. Is there anything I can do to help her adjust? She won't walk at all, just sort of shifts herself around to eat and then go back to sleep. If anyone out there has had a similar experience, I'd sure appreciate hearing ideas of timeframes, helping our cat adjust, etc.
Thank you so much
CarolC

Re: Amputation cat, rear leg

Post by CarolC »

Hi Dawn,

I'm sorry your kitty is having a hard time, but if she's eating that's a really good sign. I have a couple of thoughts that aren't exactly what you are asking--maybe somebody else will have those answers.

The first suggestion is that she may do better with an adapted litter box. If you can either buy a box with one low side, or cut the side down on a regular box, it will be easier for her to get into it and back out. Fill the litter clear up to the level of the low entry and just plan to sweep up around it every day.

Cutting down a litter box isn't as simple as it sounds because the plastic surprises you by turning out to be more brittle than you expected. If you want a neat job, I'd suggest laying it sideways on the workbench and using an Exact-O knive or linoleum knife. Scissors or tinsnips tend to make it crack unexpectedly.

I'm sorry to hear that she's lying in her own waste, but if you'd been on this message board awhile, you'd just be glad she's going at all. :) That's a good thing.

In the meantime, it might help to lift her into the box several times a day, leave her there for a few minutes, then put her back in bed. I did that with my cat who had a leg that was so sore he didn't want to move. Even though he was in pain, he was grateful to be put in the box, used it, and was grateful to be put back in his bed.

As for her lying in the litterbox, it may be that once she got into the box it seemed too awkward to try to climb back out. She may have lost her balance trying to squat (in that case I'd try putting the box next to a wall so she can lean against the wall for balance). It may even be that she is feeling psychologically comforted by the feeling of being in an enclosed box-shaped space. Do you have an old dishpan or cardboard box you could put a soft towel or some laundry into? She may be seeking the feeling of security of having a bed in a box with sides surrounding her. I've had cats lie in the litter box just because they felt like it.

Also, I think I would pet her as much all over as she will let you, from nose to the tip of her tail. Even run your hands through your hair and pet her or whatever, to get the smells of home onto her fur and the hospital smells and smells of strangers off of her.

You might also take a mental inventory of her favorite places. Is there a place she normally would like to be that she can't get to right now? Perhaps you could put her up there. On the bed or sofa? In the bathroom sink? She might need some time to think in her favorite place.

Also, you've known her for 16 years. Why not have a heart to heart talk with her. Let her know that she's going to feel better, and this was necessary, and it bothers you to see her feeling unhappy. Frankly, she may have been around some people at the hospital who were shaking their heads and saying, "at 16 why don't they just put her down?" Even if she doesn't understand the words, she'd understand the tone. Let her know better days are coming, with grass to eat and sun to lie in, and people who love and appreciate her.

It seems to forever be the case that you find yourself with these difficult situations on weekends or holidays when you can't call the vet. However, if it were my cat I wouldn't hesitate to ask for some more pain medicine tomorrow when the clinic is open again, if you think she needs it. I doubt if they'll give her another patch, but they may give you something else. As long as she is eating and resting OK, I'd just give my old friend time to get used to things.

I hope she'll feel better soon.
CarolC

P.S.

Post by CarolC »

Tomorrow if the sun is streaming throught the window, I would put her on the carpet where she can lie in it and soak some of it up. I'll bet she hasn't had a sunbath for 6 days.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Amputation cat, rear leg *LINK*

Post by critters »

CarolC has made some good suggestions. I especially agree with putting her in the box, then taking her out and taking her to a sunbeam or other favorite place. This isn't typical amputee behavior, but she's NOT a typical amputee. She has to learn to rebalance, plus her muscles have to strengthen and adapt (ever used crutches?).

I'd give her lots of time, and help her as much as possible. As far as adapted litterboxes go, I don't think I'd cut an existing box down unless I had to. A 3-sided rabbit box (the door is quite low) or 1 of these ideas may help. http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... ?read=9043
http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... ?read=7455

Good luck!

link
critters
Founding Member

Tripod link *LINK*

Post by critters »

CarolC

Litter Box

Post by CarolC »

Hi Dawn,

If you would like, I would ***gladly*** ship you a low-sided litter box like the one described in the message Critters gave a link to. I've shipped one to South Africa and the kitty loved it. I also shipped one to the east coast. Would just need your address. If you (understandably) don't want to post your address here, you could post the address for your vet clinic and I'll mail it there attention Susiecat, or you can email your address to MarkR who owns this website and he could forward it to me (that's how we did the first box). Just let me know. I can mail one either Tues am, Wed am, or Thurs.

The box would be absolutely free, a gift to Susiecat, and she wouldn't owe me a thing. :) I'd love to help.
DawnHolt

Re: Litter Box

Post by DawnHolt »

Hi Carol C.

Thank you so much for the offer. I am sure that Susiecat would greatly appreciate a low sided box! I'll forward my mailing address to you.

She was up today, attempting to walk but the frustrated yeowling was hard for us humans to bear. The only reason she tried to move was because we put her on the kitchen floor to try to get her back to the usual eating spot and she wanted to get back to the carpeted areas of the house. She just keeps tipping topsy-turvy over onto the non-legged side. Is this normal?

She also hasn't seemed to realize that her leg is gone. Is this normal? We love her so, but today was a day that I questioned my decision to keep her here with us for a couple more years. she just seems so unhappy and confused and today it felt like she would never get back to being her self.

My husband saw her going to the litter box (at the moment we are using the top of a large rubbermaid container, to help her get in to it),
and she started to urinate right then en route; he picked her up and supported her in the box and she was able to pee without getting it all over herself. That has been our first and so far, last successful litterbox attempt.

We've also taken your suggestion to put her in a bar of sunlight; which is a bit of a miracle as today was the first day of sunshine in over a month! She loved it and had a bit of a bath.

Is it normal for amputee animals to be depressed? She seems to just want to lie in one place and not move for the toilet or even for food. Food is usually her passion, so it's upsetting to see her not want as much as usual.

When we were at the vet's, I was truly expecting the response you talked about. I thought they would be wondering why we would bother to do this to a 16 year old cat. But it was actually the reverse! They couldn't believe the shape she is in and actually questioned me if I was sure of her birthdate, because she is so healthy for that age.

For anyone else out there, she is a Norwegian Forest Cat, and while doing research into the amputation process, I found out that this breed is the slowest to mature physically out of all cat breeds. So, a healthy 16 for this breed is like a 12/13 year old from another breed.

Critters, thank you for the link and your response. It really does help to know that there are other pet owners out there who have gone through what we are trying to get through.

It's time to spoil her with some treats, so I'll sign off for now....
critters
Founding Member

Re: Litter Box *LINK*

Post by critters »

Well, I've never had anybody get depressed or have such a hard time, BUT I've never had a 16 YO amputated, either. It's bound to take longer and be more of an adjustment than if she were a baby. As long as she's eating "enough," I wouldn't worry about her not eating as much as usual at this point; she isn't doing as much as usual, either.

I'd keep on helping her: taking her to the box every few hours, sunbeams, her favorite spots, etc. If she doesn't start slowly increasing her amount of movement, you might consider making her a walker; something simple like a wooden fram, a sling to hold her, and 4 caster wheels. LOL--Kitties are NOTORIOUS for not wanting to use such things, so it's an incentive to avoid it!

Perhaps a walking harness would be a better option, too, so you could help her balance. Commercial examples are at http://www.handicappedpets.com/Mobility ... arness.htm (all the models are puppers, but you see the point...), but you could also try a towel or sheet folded & placed under her belly to give her support and balance as she tries to navigate.

I feel stupid asking this of a 16 YO, but here goes... Is there anything she likes to do, that you might make into a rehab acivity, or that might be modified so that she can enjoy it again? Does she play at all? Had another thought, can't think what it was...

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Mobility ... arness.htm
CarolC

Re: Litter Box *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Dawn,

Will get Susie her box around lunchtime and get it ready to ship. I hope she'll like it. :) They're nice boxes, whether you need a special box or not!

A Norwegian Forest cat! Ohmygoodness, if there's any cat in the world I admire as the most beautiful, it would be the Norwegian Forest cat. I have a big sweetheart of a classic brown tabby Maine Coon (along with a very elderly torti-point Himalayan, an evenly-marked black and white tuxedo cat, and a bright young calico). I would be *especially* honored to send a box to a Norwegian Forest cat. :)

> Is it normal for amputee animals to be depressed? She seems to just want to lie in one place and not move for the toilet or even for food. Food is usually her passion, so it's upsetting to see her not want as much as usual.

Well, my guess is, it probably still hurts. I'm sure if I had my foot amputated 7 days ago, for example, it would still hurt. I wouldn't expect to be pain-free a week after the operation, and I probably wouldn't suffer in silence either--lol! Her complaining and not eating a lot and being reluctant to get around right now makes perfect sense if it's still uncomfortable. I don't blame her a bit.

Something she might like for a treat is a yummy-tasting vitamin paste called Nutri-Cal. You get it at the pet store or from your vet. It will give her some extra calories along with the vitamins. You squeeze about an inch of it onto your finger and let her lick it off. If her appetite doesn't improve in a few days, you might ask the vet about a B-vitamin injection.

It's good to know she isn't bothering the incision though.

The person who I sent the litter box to in South Africa was named Angela. Her kitty Tarka had rear end paralysis. Angela used to walk Tarka with the belt of a bathrobe around her waist. I will put a link to her message at the end of this message. There are several messages in the thread in which she describes it.

I have a small dog with rear end paralysis and the thing I used to walk her was a 7' long crocheted winter neck scarf. I tied it around her waist and helped support her hindquarters.

I'm really not sure Susiecat would like that right now, and I think I'd be tempted to give her time and let her figure it out for herself. I think she'll do better when she recovers a little more. She's still healing.

Will let you know as soon as I put the box in the mail. Wishing Susiecat many more sunny days!

CLICK HERE to jump to Angela's messages
CarolC

Box is ready to go

Post by CarolC »

The litter box is in a nice cardboard carton ready to go as soon as I have the address. Knowing kitties, she may think the cardboard carton is the best part!

As for being on the linoleum, that is probably a more challenging surface for her right now than carpet. She may do best on low pile carpet (like indoor-outdoor office carpet) or on cement. Until she builds up a little extra strength in the necessary muscle groups in good back leg, she may find slick surfaces rather slippery to navigate. It took my dog a while to master linoleum when she was relearning to walk. When she gets the muscle groups strengthened so she can center her leg better, her balance will improve. I'm sure building muscles is the same with kitties as with humans: it may take a little time and include similar aches like we remember from a workout at the gym, but she'll get there.

I was remembering when my dog had surgery. She seemed to be cold for weeks after that. I wondered if it was stress, blood loss, or lack of circulation through inactivity. If I put her in bed, she would burrow right under the comforter to get warm. Your kitty might prefer the warmth of carpet to cold linoleum for a while.

I'm on the late shift tomorrow so can mail the box tomorrow morning if I have the address. Best wishes to Susiecat and her family!
DawnHolt

Re: Box is ready to go

Post by DawnHolt »

Thanks so much! She will find it very helpful, much more than the pan we have set up as a temporary toilet.

Yeah, we thought we would try to get her back to an eating routine, so brought her into the kitchen to eat. She was ok to eat and then was able to walk out.

After reading lots of posts, I decided to put her under the desk in our den. It's closed on three sides and very cozy. I put her favorite chenille blanket and her box is right beside her too. It's funny; I had had her out in the living room in front of the fire, but she seems to be more comfy now.

As I write this post, I can hear her purring at my feet. That is one of the most beautiful sounds on earth!

I'll also try the bathrobe or scarf as a support the next time I put her in the litter box.

Keep those ideas and suggestions coming; I can't tell you how much it's appreciated!
DawnHolt

p.s.

Post by DawnHolt »

I sent my address to Mark last night, on the chance he may be away for the holiday, here is my hotmail account; I can send my address to you from there...
dawnstewy@hotmail.com
CarolC

Box has been mailed! :)

Post by CarolC »

Hi Dawn,

Shipped the box about an hour ago airmail. Let's hope they don't hold it up at the border--do you think they're going to believe the customs declaration that someone is shipping a litter box? LOL!

It sounds like you found a really good spot for her under the desk. Someone told me years ago, a cat purrs when she has a friend or needs a friend. I think she was telling you she knows you're taking good care of her. I had a cat who was ill once and her spot was in the closet. We have a Japanese lamp that sits on the floor--a pleasant light comes through the rice paper. My cats used to like to settle down by it and tuck their paws in when it was in the livingroom. I put it in the closet with her and it gave a little warmth and a comforting light. She stayed in that spot throughout her illness--it suited her.

Glad she's a little perkier today! Hope the box arrives soon.