Help Needed: Rab the family boxer aputation

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Jackie

Help Needed: Rab the family boxer aputation

Post by Jackie »

My mom has a boxer and he got hit by a car the week before christmas and they took to the vet, well the first animal hospital they took him to the night he was hit just put a splint around his leg and told them to take him to his vet tin the morning. We got him to his vet as soon as we could, she thought that it would heal itself, well he was only getting worse so we took him back two days ago. They did the aputation and he is walking and going out to go to the bathroom. I have a four year old who loves this dog to death, he know that Rab got hit by a car and was sick. I dont know how to tell him about his leg. Im afriad hes going to lose it when he sees Rab, and the vet told us to treat him the same as we also did. Can any one help me tryto explain this. I dont want my son not be as close as he wasto Rab.
Mel

Re: Help Needed: Rab the family boxer aputation

Post by Mel »

I would tell your son the truth on what happen and why they took Rabs leg. I have a 3 legged Min Pin that gets around and plays everything just as she did before she lost her leg. Don't let Rabs losing a leg keep your son from being as close. Rabs will be up running a playing soon.

Good Luck
CarolC

Re: Help Needed: Rab the family boxer aputation *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

There are at least two books you could read to your son that are on his level and would introduce him to the situation in a positive manner.

The first is a book about a dog called Annie Loses Her Leg But Finds Her Way, written by Sandra J. Phipson. You can see this book by clicking the link at the end of this message. When that page displays, you will see the title under the section on Diseases and Disabilities.

The second book, also on his level, is called Tigger and Friends, written by Dennis Hamley. It is about a cat that loses a leg--wonderful book. Either of these books would help acqaint him with the idea and give you an opening to talk to him. I don't know if your public library will be open tomorrow, but you could try them.

The other idea is to go back to the homepage of HandicappedPets.com and click on the link for GALLERY. That is the section of this website that shows pictures of disabled pets and tells about them. You will find numerous photos and stories about three-legged dogs living happy lives. The page opens to the 2004 Gallery, but at the bottom (I think) you will see links to the 2003 Gallery and earlier Galleries. You could surf through them yourself, locate the stories you think would help him the most, and then bring him to the computer and share them with him.

I think your question is an extremely good one.

CLICK HERE to see book Annie Loses Her Leg
CarolC

This is the story of Lefty *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

CarolC

This is the story of Allie *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

click link below--may open slowly, many photos

CLICK HERE to read the story of Allie
CarolC

This is the story of Braveheart *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

CarolC

This is the story of Jay *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

click link below--photo shows incision

CLICK HERE to read the story of Jay
CarolC

This is the story of Sunny *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

critters
Founding Member

Re: Help Needed: Rab the family boxer aputation

Post by critters »

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Kids, especially young ones, are usually VERY accepting of disabilities, whether human or critter. They tend to be curious about it, then they go on. I'd expect questions like "Does it hurt?" or "Will he still play with me?" I'd answer them as honestly, openly, and positively as I could and explain that he's still Rab; he just looks and moves a little differently now. I'd also explain that he just got out of the hospital and might not be up to playing hard at first, but eventually he will.

Books, like those CarolC mentioned, might be a help, especially if you're uncomfortable about it. 2 tripods live here, and, honestly, I consider them disfigured rather than disabled. They do everything anybody else can do, and just as fast; they're just noisier because they thump when they run!

Good luck!