Help Needed: Dog can't use back legs

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Michele

Help Needed: Dog can't use back legs

Post by Michele »

The vet says its severe, degenerative arthritis. Max is 10 years old and he can't use his back legs - he is strong and drags his back end around using his front legs. It is really hard to watch. I need to help him and don't know anything about any of the products offered - I know he probably needs a cart - which are best? He prefers being outside - can he lay down by himself in the cart? Is there a harness I can get so he is easier to move? Right now we carry him if we need to. He is a Besenji and about 45 lbs. I would also like to find a holistic vet in my area - Los Angeles. I love Max with all of my heart and this is really hard to watch. Thanks in advance for any help.
CarolC

Re: Help Needed: Dog can't use back legs *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Michele,

More detailed response tomorrow--after midnight now. You can look for a holistic vet through the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association. They have a Referral directory at the top of their webpage. Please click the link below to go there.

CLICK HERE for alt vet med links
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, a walking aid would probably be a BIG help, both before and after a cart. Some examples are at http://handicappedpets.com/Mobility%20-%20Harness.htm .

A cart is a good long-term idea, and it would allow him some independence. The only one that a bigger pupper is supposed to be able to lie down with is Dogmobile. http://www.handicappedpets.com/wheelorder1.htm If you're handy or know someone who is you can make a cart yourself. http://www.handicappedpets.com/HomemadeCarts.htm

Good luck!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/HomemadeCarts.htm
CarolC

Lying down in cart *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

If you click the link at the bottom, it takes you to one comment on lying down in a cart.

CLICK HERE for comment on lying down in cart
CarolC

Re: Lying down in cart *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Here is another comment on lying down in cart, from the archive of this message board.

CLICK HERE for another comment on lying down in cart
CarolC

Arthritis info *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Another person had a dog with severe arthritis, and she had a lot of experience treating it. (Her initial request was to find another dog near her that her arthritic dog could play with.) If you click the link below, it discusses advanced arthritis treatments. You can get a better picture of her dog's condition by reading the whole thread.

CLICK HERE for info on severe arthritis
Michele

Re: Help Needed: Dog can't use back legs

Post by Michele »

I just wanted to say thank you so much. I took Max to a holistic vet today who said he has Arthritis and DM - she put him on Vitamin E, Vitamin C, DLPA, Omega 3, Glucosamine and Aminocaproic Acid (prescription). He will be getting acupuncture once a week for four weeks as well - just wanted to update you and thank you so much - he will also be getting a cart - he needs the exercise!!!!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Michele,
I'm glad you found a vet you can work with. I hope you will stay around or come back. In case you don't, wanted to give you an articcle right now, though your dog doesn't need it. It is about bowel and bladder care. My dog has rear end paralysis and I express her bowel and bladder. There are others here with experience in this. Please be sure to come back if you want tips in this area. This article is only an introduction.

CLICK HERE for bowel/bladder care