Dogs bladder control

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Marty Fredo

Dogs bladder control

Post by Marty Fredo »

I have a american bulldog that is 7 yrs old, she is my pride and joy. I found out about a yr ago that she sometimes has some minor accidents when she lays down. I obviously know this is not a discipline problem cause she never had a issue with going out to do her busniess and she gets sad when she realizes she does it. She has been on proin for sometime and it appears to have controlled it more then ever but time to time she does it. My question is will my dog develope any issues from this med? Also will this effect her hine legs at all because as she gets older she has some issues sitting and getting up, I had her on some supplement with glucosimine in it but it seemed to have crossed with proin because her problem started to happen more often. I know this is alot of info to lay out but any info is appreciated, it seems in new jersey the vets are more interested in making money then caring for the animals, and if anyone can recommend a vet in the central jersey area I would appreciate I am new to the area and need a good vet.

Thank you everyone and I appreciate you even reading this post

Marty
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dogs bladder control

Post by critters »

" as she gets older she has some issues sitting and getting up" She probably has some arthritis in her hips. I know she's probably not ready for a walking aid yet, but just know they're available if/when you need them.

"I had her on some supplement with glucosimine in it but it seemed to have crossed with proin because her problem started to happen more often." I've heard a bit about glucosamine negatively impacting several things; did the peeing improve after you stopped it?

Don't know anything about NJ vets. :)
CarolC

Leaky Old Female Dog Syndrome *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Marty,

The most I can offer is sympathy, as I have the same problem with my senior long-haired mini-dachshund Matilda. The girl at the vet clinic jokingly called it leaky old female dog syndrome. My dog's bed is a folded blanket next to the computer. I started noticing she would unfold her blanket and sleep on the outer edge of it. Then I began noticing the blanket and my little girl smelled. :( I'd give her a fresh blanket and it would happen again. That was no fun for her, and then she'd have to be bathed and given a new application of Frontline, which is expensive.

The vet said there are two medicines you can use for this, Pro-in and D.E.S. He is trying her on D.E.S. and it seems to be working. At least we've gone a week and she still seems fresh. :) They had me give her one capsule a day for several days, and now she's on one a week for maintenance so I'm seeing how she does with her weekly doses.

If you want to know more about Pro-in, you can click the link at the end of this message. It lists the side-effects and other info.

Sorry, I don't know any vets in New Jersey. Did you try asking any of the dog lovers you've met at work or other places?

CLICK HERE for info on Pro-in
CarolC

Re: Leaky Old Female Dog Syndrome *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Marty,

Below I am putting a link to info on D.E.S., which is a form of estrogen. It says you can use it alone or in combination with Pro-in if you're having trouble controlling incontinence. I was surprised that you have to give the Pro-in several times a day. It is certainly easier to give D.E.S., which is once every few days.

CLICK HERE for info on D.E.S.
Marty Fredo

Re: Dogs bladder control

Post by Marty Fredo »

Thank you everyone for readomg my post.

Thanks CArol. I am reading all the links you gave me and will cont to, unfortunelty I woke up this morning and she had a little wet spot there. I am going to find a good vet in central jersey, I talked to a lady at petco who advised me on one, I think the DES is worth giving a shot. It seems to have less side effects and its given less often. Thank you again

Bump for anyone who can add anything.
CarolC

Oh! Yes, one more thing *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

I didn't realize she sleeps with you. Bulldogs snore, don't they? ;)

So you're having to wash more than just one doggy blanket, aren't you? Why don't you try putting her in Pampers or Huggies before you go to bed? You just cut a hole for the tail. Make the hole approx. on the fold where the diaper is folded as it comes out of the package. That should save you having to change the bed so often.

They make doggy hot pants but my dachshund can get out of them. I think the diapers stay on better. Also, if all else fails, there are doggy hot pants with suspenders that stay on. Will put a link below. Best wishes to you!

CLICK HERE for doggy overalls
Marty Fredo

Re: Oh! Yes, one more thing

Post by Marty Fredo »

Carol you he been so good than you so much. I am going to order those pants it can't be a bad thing right, plus they look pretty cool. hahaha