News: Back From Surgeon

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Angeline

News: Back From Surgeon

Post by Angeline »

They told me exactly what I thought they would. Jackson has no deep
pain sensation 2 weeks after surgery and will never walk again. She
told me I could take him off the Prednisone because she believes it
is not helping him anyway. I am not sure I should do that.

So with things looking bleak at this point. We are starting water
therapy tonight. Will the Vit C and Glucos still help him? I do not
know why this bothers me so much because I knew she would tell me
this anyway. We are going to wait one more month and then order his
cart. Just wanted to update everyone.

Angeline
Murphy's Dad

Re: News: Back From Surgeon *LINK*

Post by Murphy's Dad »

Its been 5 years since my Murphy was paralyzed. 2 weeks after surgery he had no deep pain sensation, 5 years later he STILL has NO DPS. But, he walks, runs, plays with us and his little sister. He only uses his cart on walks longer than 1/2 mile (It beats caryying him back!). Do not give up. Get Jackson swimming and watch for rear leg action. Leg strength and stamina is key. He can learn to walk withou DPS, its been termed "Spinal Walking".

Don't give up. Anything is possible.

Murphy's World - One Special Beagle
Nancy

Re: News: Back From Surgeon

Post by Nancy »

Have you given any thought to accupuncture? Our vet had no real faith in it, and the neurosurgeon only mentioned it when I told him we didn't want to give up until we knew we had tried everything, then he very shyly mentioned it. What a difference a month made. Six months later she was hiking with us again. We started with easy hikes until she made better progress.
Paul Coover

Re: News: Back From Surgeon *LINK*

Post by Paul Coover »

Just remember that it is the vet's OPINION that your dog will never walk again. It was our vet's opinion tha Riley would never walk again, and it was our opinion that you should never give up hope. The only thing that is not opinion is that Riley has been walking for over 18 months now. In fact, he just ran up to me to let me know he wants to play! The vet is just giving an opinion, an informed and educated opinion I'n sure, but it is just an opinion. Stay positive and keep the faith!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/galler/riley11/
critters
Founding Member

Re: News: Back From Surgeon

Post by critters »

I don't think I'd start hydrotherapy only 2 weeks after surgery; strict crate rest and Pred usually continue for 4-8 weeks, then exercise is slowly begun.

I don't listen to the grim predictions anymore; we've all heard them, most more than once. Go with your gut instead.