Help Needed: Care for a loving paralyzed pet

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
James and Kimberly

Help Needed: Care for a loving paralyzed pet

Post by James and Kimberly »

We love our sheltie, Shadow, who recently became paralyzed in his hind legs. We are limited financially and physically (we have two small children) in how much care we can provide him. We are wondering if there is any organization/facility that may take in handicapped pets and care for them when their 'parents' are not able to. We know that if he is permanently disabled we will not be able to care for him and will be forced to euthanize him. We are hurting with the decision we may have to make. Any help will be appreciated!
Dianne

Re: Help Needed: Care for a loving paralyzed pet

Post by Dianne »

Dear James and Kimberly,

I can hear the frustration in your letter about Shadow. Let me tell you that you have come to the right board for support. There are many more learned people than I who read this board who can direct you to different websites with help. Perhaps they will read your plea later today and have some better suggestions.

Many of us who have paralyzed pets don't euthanize them. There are ways to support their health and still enjoy a good quality of life. You didn't say what diagnosis your Sheltie was given, or if a vet has examined him. Some paralysis is reversible over time.

(1)Is he incontinent of bowel and bladder? If incontinent of bladder (can't pee by himself), are you expressing his urine? We can help to teach you how to do it. Just ask.

(2)Does he have deep pain sensation?

(3)Is he totally paralyzed or is he able to move his tail and legs?

(4)Does he enjoy food, playing, being held, and some of the less active things that brought him pleasure in life?

(5)Is he in pain?

I have a paralyzed, incontinent pup that I have worked with for 6 weeks. Many of the readers have pets that they have cared for many months. Progress can be slow, but can happen.

Could you give us a better idea of the cause of the paralysis, and what medication your pet is taking?

There is hope.

Dianne
James and Kimberly

In answer to your questions... Shadow's injury occured Wed afternoon during an altercation with a larger dog. We took him to a local animal hospital within two hours. He is dignosed with an herniated disk. He has no movement in hind legs or tail. He initially did not have pain sensation but as of this morning began to feel pain in the back half of both feet. He seemed to be in better spirits today. He was excited to see me and did not shake as much as yesterday. He has not eaten but has taken in water since Wed. He has not defecated but seems to maintain control of his urination. I will be contacting the vet in the morning to see if I can care for him from home. Prayerfully we expect more improvement may be encouraged by being at home.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Help Needed: Care for a loving paralyzed pet *LINK*

Post by critters »

If he can pee on his own and has some feeling, they're GREAT signs. I'm concerned that he hasn't eaten since Wed; I don't see how he can heal without nutrients and energy.

You might want to get a walking aid for when he comes home. You can use a twel or sheet, but many people prefer a commercial model such as http://handicappedpets.com/Mobility%20-%20Harness.htm .

Expect him to come home with crate rest and steroids, to reduce inflammation in his spinal cord. This is SOP fpr such injuries, and the large amounts of pee will stop shortly after the steroid (probably pred) is.

http://handicappedpets.com/Mobility%20-%20Harness.htm
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

I agree with Critters that crate rest is VERY important. It appears that Shadow is already showing positive signs of healing, e.g. sensation returning to his feet. That is very rapid compared to the progress most of us experience with our pets.

I am also limited financially in the amount of money available for care. We could not afford surgery, boarding, or frequent vet visits. However, that should not prohibit you from caring for your pet at HOME.

I don't have a larger dog carrier, so I used some large moving boxes with one side cut down halfway so my pet can watch me in the house. We adapted a ratty old stroller with another cardboard box so we can continue walking around the neighborhood. Our pup sits in the box while riding. Since he can't walk, he can still enjoy many of the same stimulating activities that we did together.

Touch, stroking, petting, and talking are very important to helping your pet. If he was separated from your family while at the vet, he may have been traumatized.

If he is unable to groom or wash his hind quarters, you might consider using a utility tub, like in your laundry, or bathtub to wash away uruine or bowel stains. Grooming is important.

I am concerned that Shadow is not eating. You can offer him bits of his favorite food. When pets are crate resting they would not require the same amount of food (use half a portion now) that they require when active. Remember to offer him plenty of water as the steroids will make him thirsty.

If he is still incontinent of bowel today, please make another posting on this board requesting HELP from someone who is experienced with this situation. I cannot give advice about laxatives or stimulants. It could be that he has no feces to express as he has not eaten.

Paralysis should not be a death sentence. Supportive health measures until your pet has rested (maybe weeks or longer) should be used to maintain a good quality of life.

As sad as you may feel now, this will be a good experience for your young children to see that you care about LIFE and care about things that appear less than perfect in life.

Dianne
Paul Coover

Re: Help Needed: Care for a loving paralyzed pet *LINK*

Post by Paul Coover »

You certainly found the right place for help and support. Read the story about our dachshund Riley by clicking the link below. His story has inspired many, perhaps it will be inspiring to you as well. Good luck!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/riley11/
James and Kimberly

Re: Update on Shadow's Situation

Today, exactly a week after Shadow's injury, he is recovering very nicely! We are amazed at how well and quick he is healing. We brought him home Saturday morning. He had eaten very little and gained a little strength in his rear right leg. Saturday he ate little until evening when he finished a bowl a food. He finally passed stool at 5:30 am after a long night of attempts and insecurities regarding "how". He is now acting and functioning 'normal'except for his rear left leg. In the past two days he has begun to move the upper leg at times and can stand without toppling over;however, he still needs assistance while walking three legged in order to stay in motion. He will see the vet Friday morning. We are expecting a full or near full recovery. Until then we are having lots of laundry and excercise tending to his grooming and potty needs! :^) Thanks for all of your help and encouragement! God Bless!
Dianne

Re: Wow! What great News!

Post by Dianne »

James and Kimberly,

What GREAT news about Shadow. You have been wonderful to take such good care of your pup! I'm sure Shadow will thank you with lots of pup kisses. There is a special bond that develops when you help a pet in recovery.

Perhaps you will be able to help someone else with a disabled pet. We'll be here if you need help again.

We're all happy to read success stories and your story makes us smile! :)

Dianne
CarolC

Re: Update on Shadow's Situation *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi James and Kimberly,

I am so glad to hear how well your friend is recovering. It could easily have taken considerably longer than this for him to show so much improvement, and he will continue to improve. However, I don't know how much your vet explained about disk injuries. Even though he is recovering, it is very important to keep him quiet. Yes, he is beginning to stand and you can't very well prevent him from doing so. And yes, you may have to help him outside for potty breaks. But aside from that he should be resting. The standard treatment for disk problems is crate rest and steroids for several weeks, usually 4-8 weeks. Crate rest means he stays in his crate or other enclosure (on a soft bed with a water bowl) all day, every day, for however many weeks the vet says. He only comes out for potty breaks or to have his bed changed, then right back in he goes. If he's bored, you can give him chew toys but he plays with them in his crate.

A spinal disk is a little fluid-filled pillow between two boney vertebrae. If a disk is herniated, that means it got squished really hard and now it is out of shape, and it is pressing on the spinal cord and the nerves in the area. If it was squished badly enough, some of the fluid in the middle has also leaked out. You have a lot of swelling going on, and the result is paralysis. As the swelling starts to go down, function can begin to return, but this takes time--weeks or even months. If your dog is on steroids like Prednisone, that is to help reduce the swelling. If he moves around, the disk won't have a chance to heal. If liquid has leaked out, the hole in it needs to seal over. Movement will prevent that. There can be more damage *after* the initial injury. Continued swelling can put pressure on the nerves, cutting off the blood supply and causing them to die just from the swelling, aside from the physical injury. This is why he needs to be ***rest quietly***. You have seen excellent progress, and you don't want to risk a set-back. Remember that he is a dog and if he feels better he will want to play and run around, but you are the human and you have a mental image of how this disk injury needs to heal. Therefore, be firm. It is well worth 4-8 weeks of rest and boredom to ensure the benefit of being able to run and play normally for the rest of your life. He's a fortunate dog, but I would still be handling him like eggs. If he was injured on March 15, then he may be let off crate rest on Tax Day--you might ask your vet.

You mentioned that you were doing a lot of laundry. Oh yes, been there, done that! If he is on steroids, it causes increased urination, and of course you have the bowels to consider. Something I like to do with that kind of laundry is add a little 20-Mule Team Borax to the wash like we used to do with baby diapers. Also, it may help reduce your laundry if you get some human incontinent pads. They are absorbent material with a plastic backing, designed to put under bedfast human patients to protect the sheets. You can find them in the adult diapers aisle at Wal-Mart or Walgreens. They run about $7.99 or less for 40. They won't keep him dry if he wets, but they may save a change of linen, and they are nice for bundling up any solid waste when he moves his bowels. One other thing I've learned is if you notice him beginning to move his bowels, drop a kleenex over it right away and it helps a lot with the odor.

At the end of this message is a link to a website that has really good information on disk problems, especially the section a short way down called "A Little Intervertebral Disk Tutorial". The info applies to herniated disks in all breeds--it happens to focus on dachshunds because the problem occurs in a third of all dachshunds.

Hope you will continue to update on Shadow's progress. Congratulations on your good news. Best wishes to Shadow and his family!

CLICK HERE for disk info