News: Rocky died at 8 am ... eom *NoMsg*

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

News: Rocky died at 8 am ... eom *NoMsg*

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Dianne

Re: News: Rocky died

Post by Dianne »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss of little Rocky. You certainly tried your best to give him a chance at life.

It is said that people live inorder to learn to love. Perhaps animals live such short lives as they already know how.

Dianne

This world is not conclusion,
A sequel stands beyond.
Invisible as music,
But as positive as sound.

Emily Dickinson (1830–1886)

Dianne, thank you. You are so wise. I am a sobbing mess and not taking this well at all. It seems obscene to sob over a kitten when my son is dead. Have had a hideous morning. Tried to revive her w/hair dryer diffused, she was cold and stiff. She started to revive, raced her to hospital, breathing on her to keep her warm, and she was DOA. Do not know why she is dead. She was such a fighter, such a survivor. She had just learned how to purr. It is so wrong! Too much death. I hate it.
Thank you.
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

Poor lil gal. I am so sad. There are just so many reasons why lil baby kittens make it for a short time and then pass away like this... there are so many conditions, both genetic and derived from the events of her birth and her first few breaths of life that could have let up to this.... I KNOW that answers no questions and doesn't lessen the pain, but I think is in important that the back recesses of our brains know this, even though we cannot understand it.
It seems like the powers that be have been pouring down as much sorrow as can be mustered on you. But i don't think Rocky was about punishing you; it was about saving her. it was all about her feeling love. it was all about her knowing what it is like to feel warm and safe and fussed over.it is about the security she felt when she slept, knowing that there was someone watching over her and keeping her safe from harm. you put heart on your sleeve in order to give her a shot at life. that is a priceless gift. I am so sorry for the pain you are enduring. I do hope you find some comfort in comparing what she would have had to what she did have.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

purrrrs, Karen

Post by Bendy Kitty »

This is the worst part of rescue.
We don't always find out why we loose some of our friends, I think that makes it even harder.
It is NEVER silly to grieve, it means you are a caring person.
We always second guess ourselves after loosing one of the clan here, even when we know we tried everything. No matter how much we know, no matter how much we do, some will always slip through our hands and we won't always know why.

Rocky knew love, because of you.

We know too well what it is like to wake up to a cold, stiff kitten :( :( or to come home to one. I think after 3 years we have finally stopped feeling so horrible about Sammi, but even after 2 years we feel terrible about LuckyCharm.

Someone said this to us, it makes us smile

If he zoomed, it was because of you
If he purred, it was because of you
If he knew love and happiness, it was because of you.
If he has good memories to think of and a person to wait for, it is because of you.

many many bendy purrrgles, Karen.
be gentle with yourself.

Bendy & the whole crew
critters
Founding Member

Re: News: Rocky died at 8 am ... eom

Post by critters »

I'm SO sorry to hear that, but at least the poor little waif died warm, comfy, and loved.

Critters, thank you. Rocky was a wonder of survival and determination. As was my son. That is the worst of it. I failed her miserably. What my BlindDogs family informed me was that I am probably grieving my son. The LIGHT BULB went on. Both these beautiful precious babies died. I could have tried harder, I could have done something, and then they would still be alive. I failed them both. They died as a result. Pretty high price to pay for my failure. This is so hard. She has a beautiful grave, buried with flowers. I had to actually ask the hospital for her body back! Sheesh, like I didn't want to TAKE HER HOME! Oh, bad day.

Re: purrrrs, Karen

Oh, Bendy, Rocky should be alive, she was a fighter! She deserved a good life! I am so upset about Rocky! From an hour or two old, she thrived and survived. WHY NOW?? I am grieving my son too. I asked him to give her a bottle, on the drive home from the hospital where she was DOA. She is so impossibly tiny, Andy. Please take care of her for me. She won't survive unless you do! Oh, God!!!

SandyNY Thank You!

I do always take joy in others' tragedies, to know their critters (sorry critters) know love and joy at death. I just am not there. I lost everything. and I am still losing everything. It hurts so much! Little Rocky was symbolic to me, I realize now. And she died. Too.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Karen,

I wish we could all wrap our arms around you so you would feel comforted. It is awful to have to deal with both losses and feel so helpless.

There were times in my life, following an F-4 tornado that killed 3 of my neighbors, and after a devastating job loss for my husband, that I suffered post-traumatic stress syndrome for some time. Time does dull the pain.

I can see that you have suffered the traumatic loss of your son that made you feel so utterly helpless. Little Rocky's passing brought some of these feelings to the surface again. It is possible that you also have some post-traumatic stress (PTSD)over these events.

An example would be: The person experiences intense psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event.

Your work with the other cats and kittens already qualifies you for sainthood. These kits had little chance without your help, and you were wonderful to give them a chance at life.

Our work with animals is never over. We take care of them on earth and those who have gone before us, oversee them on the other side.

Heaven is described as a place where we will have those things that made us happy on earth, even animals. (I forget the verse, but could find it if you wanted it.)

You didn't fail. You tried. We're all very proud of you for doing that. And there is no more that you could do.

Enough pontificating. Take care of yourself.

Dianne
Jean

Post by Jean »

Dear Karen, I am so sorry for your loss. Rocky was one of the lucky ones. He knew love during his short life. So many pets never know anything but cold,hunger and abuse. Rocky was loved- that is so important. Never stop caring or rescuing, the world needs people like you! Sincerely, Jean
Jean

Post by Jean »

Dear Karen, I am so sorry for your loss. Rocky was one of the lucky ones. He knew love during his short life. So many pets never know anything but cold,hunger and abuse. Rocky was loved- that is so important. Never stop caring or rescuing, the world needs people like you! Sincerely, Jean
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

I'm so sorry Karen. I can't really add anything to what the others have said that will make you feel better.

We have to face this so many times in rescue. Over the years I have lost quite a few animals that I tried to save, and have come to the realisation that they don't always come to us so that we can help them live, sometimes they come to us so that we can be there for them as they leave too. We can't control when they will leave, or how, we can only make sure they get love and care while they were here.

Years ago I had what, for me, was absolute proof of the fact that we meet up again with our pets at a later stage (it's a long story, but I consider myself to be a pretty skeptical person about these kind of things, so it had to be very convincing). I am sure the Rainbow Bridge story isn't far from the truth. Having that confidence has made it a little easier for me to accept when they leave. It doesn't take away the pain and sadness but it does take away the fear element. I wish I knew a way of transmitting that to you.

Never think that you didn't do enough. You did, but you are only human. You saved lives before and you will save them again. There's always the risk of losing them but if we try to save as many as we can it's inevitable that we will lose some, especially when taking on difficult cases. Rocky left, but she left knowing what it was like to be loved, and that is the most important thing of all, so I hope you can take some comfort in it.

We're sending you warm hugs and purrs from the other side of the ocean, hope they reach you :-)

Debbie

The Lord Taketh Away, the Lord Giveth

I got call yesterday from Humane. 6 more kittens. I said Ohhhhhh....I'll take 3.
They are about 2.5 weeks, do not know a bottle. Rough couple days.
Had to evict my nephew last night. Lost my boy again.