Dogs: soap or shampoo?

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Tom

Dogs: soap or shampoo?

Post by Tom »

Does anyone know which is most mild (safest) for a dog. Is it a normal pure bar of soap (like Sunlight) or is it dog's shampoo?

I don't need anything strong or anything to do with removing smell, just something I can use for frequent daily baths.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dogs: soap or shampoo?

Post by critters »

ANY soap or shampoo is very drying and can be irritating to the skin; I'd skip either one unless I had to. I'd also limit the bathing to what's necessary; say, frequent butt baths, but leaving the total bath for once a week or 2.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

A dog's PH is different than ours. Use a dog shampoo. I use Sensitive Issue Puppy Shampoo Tearless (because we hate to see puppies cry) by LambertKay ... my lethal whites are highly sensitive and I used flea shampoo on AllicksBlindPup - her skin turned red, I nearly died of guilt. And like critters says, not frequenly. And you can put a teaspoon of canola oil in food once a week to keep skin "moist"
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

We use Four Paws Magic Coat Natural Oatmeal Shampoo. I stir some into the bathwater instead of squirting it onto the dog. With any shampoo, just be sure you've really got it rinsed out.
SuzyGrunge

Post by SuzyGrunge »

I Found a good mild dog shampoo that's good for frequent bathing,
and it has no chemicals. It's called dogOsuds. i use the Lavender scent and the essential OIl, they are my favorite.
The essential oils are really good, and are actually healing for the skin, and the coat. The Lavender one is good for soothing
for itchy skin.