A "cane" idea for blind puppers (I can't see kitties going

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
critters
Founding Member

A "cane" idea for blind puppers (I can't see kitties going

Post by critters »

for this (pun intended)). It reminds me of the old deely bobber toys. It's from living-with-dogs.com, which is why some of it may be in Japanese.

How to make a vision-aid

How to make a vision-aid for dogs who suffers visual problem. With only ping-pong balls and springs, sight handicapped dogs can get by almost as easily as healthy dogs. It was first shown on the TV program "Mutsugoroh". Dogs will quickly get used to this aid if he/she wears it before going out for a walk, or when he/she is playing.

a) Attach the aid either above the ears or cheeks (whichever suits the dog best). Always attach to both the right and left sides.

b) On TV, ping-pong balls were used, but according to my experience, you can get by just as easily without.

c) The aid must extend beyond the nose. To do this, first make the aid long and adjust the length afterwards.

d) You should not use the stiff hose. After you have decided the position, a vinyl hose is best. The clear vinyl hose you see at the home center is recommended. This will provide stability and will prevent the springs catching on furniture. Rubber hoses are too heavy and inappropriate for the task. Use vinyl tape (rather than cellophane tape) at the end of the hose. Also the springs should be not too soft, but taught and tightly sprung is best.

e) Attach at 2 points on the collar. The placement of the aid is the most important part. The above are general instructions, and will differ depending on the size of the dog and collar. Please try the most appropriate way for your dog. To make the suitable aid for the dog, many revisions may be needed.

Finally, I will list the effect of using this aid.
1.Compared to human beings, dogs depend more on their sense of smell, touch, and hearing and these senses are far superior than human beings. They can learn to use this aid easily.
2.Dogs with visual problems tend to depend on their other abilities besides their sense of sight. When these sense age, their territory decreases, and the aging process tend to speed up.
3.Especially in case of dogs with site problem by nature, the part of the cerebrum which originally handled the sense of sight is replaced by sense of touch, and this is where the supporting aid will benefit most. (Sight disabled people also demonstrates superb sense of touch due to this cerebrum reaction ability.)
4.The effect of this aid to the young disabled dog is hard to judge, but the mental fatigue is greatly reduced and it is effective in the prevention of sickness.

(17 JUN, 1997) (Aichi-Pref, Japan: S.F)