Dogs: little non skid soft booties

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
ellen

Dogs: little non skid soft booties

Post by ellen »

I have 3 Maltese - the oldest (14) is having trouble walking (back problems) I purchased infant knit booties at Walmart (other baby departments) have them also. Make sure they have NON SKID design on bottom. I secure these with a baby little hair band (sold in baby dept. also)above the hock bone. They are fantastic. She can walk and does not slip and I change them (check often) incase they get damp. They wash in machine and line dry. Also you can sew on a fabric called JIFFY GRIP -you can get on line- to any tiny sock or bootie. I hope this is of help to others
CarolC

Re: Dogs: little non skid soft booties

Post by CarolC »

Great idea, I never heard of Jiffy Grip. Thanks!
critters
Founding Member

Great idea!

Post by critters »

If you decide you want a wet-proof idea, you might try Show Foot spray.
markcrobinson
Site Admin

Great Idea!

Post by markcrobinson »

Thanks, Critters, for passing this along to me.
I like it - I'll do a webpage on it.

Any chance you could take a photo of the bootie and of the dog wearing the boot?
Mary Wright

Re: Dogs: little non skid soft booties

Post by Mary Wright »

They are great except my dog drags her left paw with the top of her paw dragging and scraping up the top of her paw. We have tried the boots, but on concrete, it just rips the boot apart. What is needed is a boot that is sturdier at the seam so it won't rip apart so easily.
CarolC

Re: Dogs: little non skid soft booties *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Mary,

You can save the boot by taking your new boot and putting several layers of duct tape over the toe. Let the dog scrape through the tape, not the boot. Then pull the old tape off and put fresh layers of duct tape on before it's worn down to the boot. Think I learned that from ProActive Paws. They make boots for disabled dogs, including dogs that drag their paws and dogs that drag their claws. My dog wore down her claws so they made her boots with an extra layer over the top of the toes, but you still want to add the duct tape to preserve your investment.

CLICK HERE ProActive Paws