Cats: amputee help

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
adele

Cats: amputee help

Post by adele »

2 days ago my furry friend kitkat was hit by a car and had an hind leg amputated as far as it will go. and received lacerations to other hind leg. she seamed fine yesterday but today when she gets up from laying down she screams and shuffles backwards and in circles. its awful to watch. this lasts for a minute or maybe less and then she hobbles about and is affectionate. please help I just don't know if this is part of healing process or is there a real problem.
CarolC

Re: Cats: amputee help

Post by CarolC »

I'm guessing she still had some pain medication in her system when they sent her home but it has worn off by today. Perhaps you can call them first thing tomorrow and ask for a week of pain meds to keep her comfortable while she heals. I'm sure I'd be pretty sore if I got hit by a car 2 days ago. Do not try any human pain medications, they may not be safe for cats. I would be sure she does not fall down the stairs or knock a plant stand over on her or anything like that when she has that reaction. Has she gone to the litterbox yet?
Parapet Wheelchairs

Re: Cats: amputee help

Post by Parapet Wheelchairs »

Aaron Frazier
Parapet Wheelchairs
37 East Street : Daylesford : Vic : Australia
Tel. 03. 53484133
critters
Founding Member

I agree.

Post by critters »

Tripods usually do well, but TK had an awful time with pain when she came home; it was so bad she had to go back so they could give her Torb. Tripod actually stayed in the hospital about a week after she was hurt and was over it by the time she came home.

If you didn't get pain meds, I'd try that.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

most 3 leggers learn how to walk well

Post by Bendy Kitty »

and don't need a cart.
it will take some time for her to heal from the surgery. I bet she is very bruised from being hit, glad you were able to get her to the vet!
Some pain meds would probably make her more comfy, even if they space her out a little. You might want to confine her to one room when you are away so she doesn't get stuck somewhere (Mimosa liked to get behind the water heater then holler cuz she couldn't get out) whiel she heals and relearns how to walk.

time, patience, lots of love, and she'll be ok.

bendy