Story: handicaped dachshund

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
RC

Story: handicaped dachshund

Post by RC »

Hello to all. I'm not sure how I found this web page, but I'm constantly looking for different ways to help our Molly.
She became paralyzed Easter weekend at the age of two. Needless to say it's been an emotional and challenging experience for my husband, Mindy..our other dachshund, Molly and myself. It's taken many hours and days of trial and error, but I think we've all finally adjusted to the changes and life goes on.
What's so amazing is that Molly doesn't seem to know that she's different. She is the same little loving, playful, determined, stubborn, and high spirited as she was before this happened. She's either dragging her little legs behind her or she's zooming by in her wheelchair. Nothing seems to stop her.
Mindy, her sister, had a difficult time accepting the changes with her at first, but now they are best friends again. Where you see one, the other is not far behind.
To be honest, when this first happened, I had no idea things could work out as well as they have.
We still have those "days", but it makes everything we've done worthwhile when Molly continues to be happy and a part of our family.
So, if there's anyone who is just beginning this journey, don't give up hope! There is defintely light at the end of the tunnel.
critters
Founding Member

Welcome to the bb!

Post by critters »

It sounds like y'all have done very well for yourselves in a pretty short time. I hope you'll stick around.
critters
Founding Member

ps

Post by critters »

Have you considered hydrotherapy to maybe get her walking again?
Gabi

Re: Story: handicaped dachshund

Post by Gabi »

Hi. I have a question for both RC and Critters (and whoever else wants to answer!). I recently posted about my dog Sawyer who may eventually become paralyzed because of a spinal tumor. Critters..you mentioned hydrotherapy. Can that really help a dog who is paralyzed? I'm thinking that as soon as a dog is paralyzed, especially from spinal cord injury, that there is no hope in regaining function of the legs. Am I wrong? Also, RC, does your dog have other health problems related to the paralysis? My vet said that even if my dog becomes paralyzed, she won't be just a "paralyzed dog"...she'll have other health problems that go along with paralysis, like bladder infections and pressure sores. I am trying to prepare myself for the paralysis, but I am afraid her life will be cut short from other problems. Can anyone set my mind at ease? Thank you..
critters
Founding Member

hydrotherapy *LINK*

Post by critters »

"Can that really help a dog who is paralyzed? I'm thinking that as soon as a dog is paralyzed, especially from spinal cord injury, that there is no hope in regaining function of the legs. Am I wrong?" The short answer is that, under normal circumstances, yes, you're wrong. :) Now, a spinal tumor is NOT a normal circumstance of disk disease, FCE, etc, so it might not quite hold true for your pupper specifically. I can't imagine that it would hurt anything to try, though, so you could give it a shot.

Hydrotherapy covers a lot of ground, from underwater treadmills to swimming. Treadmills are listed at http://www.fernovetsystems.com/smallanimal/index.htm#
You could try swimming in a tub, hot tub, or natural body of water (personally, I'd use a life vest in natural water, for safety). See:
http://www.abledogs.net/poppy.html
http://members.rushmore.com/~dds/Inform ... herapy.htm
http://www.angelsgate.org/HYDROTHERAPY.htm
http://www.news8austin.com/content/livi ... &SecID=423
http://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/succe ... devon.html

CarolC can give you LOTS of info about how it works; she's been doing it for quite some time with her spinal cord injured pupper. As I recall, Pavla used a pond or lake for Sara. Her site is http://sara.homelinux.org/index.php?newlang=english

http://www.fernovetsystems.com/smallanimal/index.htm#
critters
Founding Member

HOW could I forget?

Post by critters »

"My vet said that even if my dog becomes paralyzed, she won't be just a "paralyzed dog"...she'll have other health problems that go along with paralysis, like bladder infections and pressure sores." Umm, with an attitude like that, I'd seriously consider if I wanted to stay with that vet. Pressure sores are ***100%*** preventable; UTIs aren't so easy, as you'll see if you look down the bb. Sores come from poop/pee eating up the skin, skin damage from unprotected dragging around, and pressure (if your pupper can't turn himself over, you'll have to help).

As for UTIs, you'll need help with a plan. Will you "pulse" antibiotics, use them only with an active infection (pee may smell funny or look cloudy or bloody), etc. See the 2 threads below for more ideas.
RC

Sawyer's mom

Post by RC »

We were told and everything I've read said that if surgery wasn't done within 72 hours, then she'd most likely never walk again. We were also told that surgery wasn't always the best way to go. We tried the water therapy, pulling her tail during water therapy, steriods, and other meds, but it didn't work for Molly.
Our vet did say that she would be more subject to bladder infections due to this injury. So far, she's only had one which was cleared up in a week with a medical cream. I'm not sure if there's anything else that may come from this, but I often wonder. We're just taking one day at a time and hoping for the best.
She did have sores on her back legs from dragging them, but we bought a doggie pajama outfit which has kept her from getting any more sores.
Many best wishes and luck to Sawyer!
RC
CarolC

Pressure sores *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Gabi,

Yes, it will be possible for Sawyer to get pressure sores, but it doesn't have to happen. It could happen in a number of ways. I will list them so you will know what to watch for.

One is, she could lose too much muscle mass in her hindquarters, so that if she lies on a bed that is not soft enough, she gets a sore on her hip from having no padding there. I am putting a link at the end of this message to give you ideas to start thinking about bedding. You can do passive range of motion exercises with her legs and massage them. It will help the circulation, which will be good for the skin. You can also do resistance exercises while she is lying down, and it will help preserve the muscle. In addition, if you get her a cart, even if she uses it in the legs-up position and walks only with her front feet, it will improve the circulation in her whole body and help prevent sores in her hindquarters.

Another possibility is if she is allowed to drag around too much, especially on abrasive surfaces such as sharp grass, asphalt, synthetic carpet, and the like. Doing that she can simply develop an abrasion on her skin which becomes challenging to heal if it is in a place where she continues to lie on it, like the hip. As Critters said, prevention is the key.

Another thing way it can happen is if she continually lies on one side all the time. I had an old dog who was down and he didn't turn himself very often, so I simply turned him every few hours. He had one side he preferred, and if I turned him to his un-preferred side he would usually eventually turn himself to his preferred side, however not vice versa. If I left him on his preferred side, he'd prefer to stay that way. So you'll want to be sure she is lying on both sides during the day.

Another possibility is if she gets a urine scald, for example from wetting her bed and lying on it so it irritates her skin. There are many ways to prevent this, which can all be discussed. Bathing regularly is supposed to help keep the skin healthy.

So yes, one of your number one things to monitor is the condition of her skin if she goes down. Give her good bedding. Keep her dry. Don't let her drag too much. Be sure she turns on each side. Exercise her. These are all things you want to do anyway. :)

CLICK HERE for bedding ideas
CarolC

Reflex walking/Spinal walking *LINK* *PIC*

Post by CarolC »

Hi Gabi,

> I'm thinking that as soon as a dog is paralyzed, especially from spinal cord injury, that there is no hope in regaining function of the legs. Am I wrong?

Dogs have a back-up system for walking that humans do not. It is called reflex walking or spinal walking. The "dummies" version is that simply because their front feet are moving, it is firing a reflex that makes their back feet want to move as well, even with complete paralysis. With training, you can sometimes get the dog walking by making the most of this reflex. My dog does both reflex walking and real walking. She spends a larger percentage of time reflex walking I think.

Hydrotherapy can help. Two good ways to help activate and maximize the reflex in the back feet are swimming or walking on an underwater treadmill. In each case, the front feet are doing the work and the water is supporting the body and the back feet are getting signals. In some cases it helps for the owner or therapist to manually move the dog's back feet to help get the reflex going, either with the dog in a life jacket in the pool, or with the dog trotting on the treadmill and the therapist moving the dog's back feet in stepping motions. I will put a picture below of a therapist moving the dog's feet in a treadmill--great picture! (The picture is from http://www.walkaboutharnesses.com/succe ... devon.html)

Please click the link below for a technical explanation of reflex walking or spinal walking. Once you display the website, use your END button on your computer to go to the very last paragraph. That is the paragraph that explains it.

CLICK HERE definition of reflex walking
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Paul Coover

Re: Story: handicaped dachshund *LINK*

Post by Paul Coover »

That is the perfect attitude! The dogs don't seem to know or care that they have a disability, so why should we make a big deal about it! We also have a dachshund named Riley. We adopted Riley knowing that he couldn't walk. He would fly around the house dragging his legs until we bought him a K9 Cart. Anyway, good luck to you and your family. If you want to read more about Riley, just click on the link below.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/riley11/
Paul Coover

Re: Sawyer's mom

Post by Paul Coover »

You should never give up hope that your dog will walk again. With Riley, the vet didn't think he would recover. But he did, and he runs around all the time. I did leg exercises with him, like bending his legs back and forth and massaging them. I think every vet has their own opinion on the surgery issue. Ask 10 vets and get 10 different answers. With Riley, they said that surgery would probably not help but it could hurt, so we decided not to have surgery. What is the nature of the paralysis? Is it a disc problem or something else? I guess the cause of the paralysis has much to do with what should be done (or not done) to correct the problem.