Need a wheel chair for a SMALL dog.

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Lisa Bellinger

Need a wheel chair for a SMALL dog.

Post by Lisa Bellinger »

I have a 2 pound dog that got picked up and dropped by a bird of prey, resulting in a broken back. she can go to the bathroom by herself but may never walk. I live on disability and could not aford the surgery that she needed. Now I think she will need a wheel chair. I cannot afford one. Can some one help? PLEASE... I would not want someone to put me to sleep when I am no longer able to walk( hopefully that will be awhile) I will not do it to her. But in order to have a good quallity of life she needs to be able to get around. PLEASE HELP ! ! ! Lisa
Kid John

Re: Need a wheel chair for a SMALL dog.

Post by Kid John »

Hi Lisa

You are right in saying, your little dog needs to move around, in order to have a good quality life.
Making a cart is easy. There are a lot of cart designs, and materials that can be used. If this is your first time at making a cart, may I suggest using, PVC pipe.
It is easy to cut, and glue the elbow joints. It is light weight, and yet strong enough for a 2 pound dog.
PvC can make your 1st. effort a successful one. More thought can go on the proportions of the design, because it glues fast, and dries quick.
You will have an easier time than I did, because my dog is 120 pounds. I had to go with steel, and welding.

You will see many posts on carts, and other information here.
Best of Luck.

Kid John
critters
Founding Member

See below, and don't forget the classified ad board here at

Post by critters »

Handicapped pets.
critters
Founding Member

You might also want to check out Abledogs (link)

Post by critters »

It's a great egroup.

Abledogs
critters
Founding Member

John's homemade carts for BIG kids

Post by critters »